“Great hotel, but don't take your car!”

Hotel Indigo London Kensington
Ranked #85 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, but don't take your car!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stated at Hotel Indigo in September for an awards ceremony, the hotel is ideally located close to Earls Court. This is a very stylish boutique style hotel, part of the IHG group. The rooms were spotless with very comfortable beds, great sheets and pillows. An added bonus is that the mini bar is complimentary if somewhat limited on choice. The bar has a good choice and the staff are very friendly.

I would definitely use the hotel again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
England, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Overall this is a great hotel let down by a disappointing restaurant and perhaps in places a touch too much style over substance.

If your happy being outside the main west end of London the location is good about 1-2 mins walk from Earls Court tube station.

This a 3 star hotel converted town house so has lots of character. No door staff on duty so you have to haul your own luggage up the 5 or so steps to the hotel. The Lobby is small but interestingly decorated with a wallpaper that gives the impression of a Victorian room. All staff are referred to as Lord this or Lady that.

Rooms are on the small side but this is London but for the money they are beautifully decorated. Bright colours, bespoke furniture, decent Aveda designer toiletries, rain forest showers and VERY comfy beds - with good quality linens. For my money the most comfy bed in any 3 - 4 star hotel. Normally this comfort is only found in 5 star hotels. Great plus point is a complementary minibar - don't get too excited the contents are two bottles of posh soft drinks, 2 bottles of water, and chocolate. This is in addition to Crisps, Coffee, tea etc. Designer glassware and mugs for your drinks are a nice touch. These rooms feel very indulgent. This is 5 story converted townhouse in Earls Court (not really Kensington) so don't expect great views from the rooms, but I've had a lot worse at fancier hotels in London.

In room quibbles - Room service is very limited (more about the restaurant and food in a minute), I'll echo previous comments that the shower drains slowly and the efficient air con can be a bit fierce in a small room.

My main problem is the restaurant, where the food is a bit disappointing and the service poor. I've stayed here a couple of times and if things don't improve I might have to move on to another hotel. Why? I returned to the hotel last night after dining out, i sat in the lounge bar and read the paper for 15-20 minutes no member of staff asked if I wanted a drink, so after finishing the paper I left and retired to my room.

The following morning things went further down hill. After almost 25 minutes I still hadn't been fed and had to give up and head for work. This was despite about 5 staff on duty and only about 25 diners. Some of the staff seem to be trying but 1 or 2 seem to be killing time between modelling jobs and haven't a clue. I arrived for breakfast at 7.50 and noticed that the menu outside still seemed to be listing Sunday lunch. I waited around for a few minutes before being asked if I was dining, I was shown to a table around a corner, I ordered food and my coffee arrived quickly. After 15 minutes I was asked if I had ordered and said "yes". 5 minutes later I was asked again and repeated my order, 5 minutes later they said the chefs printer wasn't working and they hadn't processed my order. I explained i couldn't wait any longer and left.

The food is not your standard fare and I think they're trying a bit too hard and not delivering. the continental buffet is more expensive that the "full English" and is described as an "Artisan Buffet" - designer bread and jam. When it comes to cooked food, nothing is what it seems - those looking for simple straightforward food may be disappointed every dish seems to have designer flourishes supposedly inspired by Victorian cuisine. Unfortunately I don't think they deliver on flavour, on a previous stay the Eggs Benedict had very little taste, the Full English Breakfast sounds odd, and the kedgeree, well the kedgeree never arrived. at other times of day the restaurant doesn't serve full meals and seems to concentrate on shared platters, sandwiches and small dishes.

Staff on checkout were apologetic over the mess up over breakfast, I notice my comments on the restaurant and service aren't unique and I think this is an area the hotel needs to work on. Holiday Inn have a great brand here with the Indigo chain, ideal for people who aren't bothered about a full service hotel with business facilities etc, but want a chic and comfy room but they need to work on the food.

Room Tip: Try and get a big a room as possible
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brooke H, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo London Kensington, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Pjkeay,

Thank you for your detailed comments of your recent stay with us. I am very glad that you like the location and the decoration of the rooms. The complimentary mini-bar is an added extra we give to our guests and the executive and junior suites also include alcoholic drinks too. The rooms do have an indulgent feel to me with the spa inspired showers and the luxurious towels and robes.

The reason why we include both locations in our title is because we are situated in the borough of Kensington but in the heart of Earl’s Court. We are a stone’s throw away from Earl’s Court tube station and about a 5/10 minute walk to Gloucester road tube and High Street Kensington.

You will be pleased to know the shower drains have all been fixed and a complete service of our air-conditioning units has been carried out.

Thank you for all your comments on the breakfast. It would be really helpful if you could get in touch and let me know when you stayed so I can really investigate what happened. fohmanager@hotelindigokensington.co.uk

The hot breakfast menu includes the typical traditional items – Full English, Eggs Benedict, Dippy Eggs however we have also included special items such as “Slow Roasted Brisket Eggs Benedict with Horseradish Sauce” or “Fig and Apricot Egg Dipped Toast” which our guests really enjoy but definitely not to everyone’s taste so please speak to your server if you would like a variation on anything.

Thank you again for your comments, listening and acting on our guest’s feedback will ensure that we are continually improving our offer.

Kind Regards,

Brooke

fohmanager@hotelindigokensington.co.uk
woking
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

The room was clean and nicely decorated in bold purples - but very small and cramped and dominated by the bed and TV console. The staff were friendly and the location is good.

This sets out to be a boutique style hotel but, in reality, it is a rebranding exercise by a large hotel group and the overall corporate culture still tends to show through. Perhaps an example of marketing style over actual substance.

Overall an entirely acceptable place to stay - but nothing special.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MAP1960
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo London Kensington, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear MAP1960,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It's great to hear that you liked our friendly staff and hotel location. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the hotel around. However, it seems that the size of our rooms and ambiance did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your will be forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Indigo - london kensington earl's court for 5 days in August.
I really loved the design of hotel, room, bathroom, amenities, location near the tube, marks & spencer...
And the free minibar! although there weren't many things it was quite good to enjoy bar without extra charges.
The breakfast was also great.
If your room rates including breakfast, you can choose anything (all kind of menu you want!!) from the menu. Since I stayed 5 days, I tried many things and they were all nice. I already miss delicious breakfast at the mansion bar!

Only one down side is the fridge, it didn't work while my stays and although I told it to one of staffs, it's never fixed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Emmi Mae L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo London Kensington, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Frenchie246,

Thank you for your response!

We are very proud that you enjoyed the room, its facilities and the rate!

The location of the hotel is very central to both a high street with shops, pubs and restaurants and also the underground station!

Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you in the future!

Emmi
Guest Relations Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here back July 2013 while visiting London and couldn't have found a nicer hotel. Great location - helpful friendly professional staff - modern hotel - room very clean - good value for money - breakfast was well filling and a good start to the day. Will deferential will be back for another great stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Frenchie246,

Thank you for your lovely response on our hotel from your stay in July.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the staff and the location!

I hope you got the chance to try our famous waffles when you had breakfast!

Best Regards,
Emmi
Guest Relations Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel,very clean and stylish. Bed was extremely comfortable and shower fantastic. Location is perfect, just a 2 minute walk to earls court tube station and plenty of restaurants nearby.

Only gripe we had was when trying to order room service on the second night of our stay when I was told that room service was unavailable as there was no kitchen staff! I find this poor considering that 24hour room service was advertised within the in room information, and I only wanted to order a sandwich! I was not offered any alternative which I think is poor service.

Free wifi was a good extra but was very slow.

Staff were all very friendly, and check in and out was very straight forward and efficient.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, however, I do think they need to sort out the inconsistencies with the room service as I have seen other reviewers who experienced similar problems.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here recently and will definitely be back. Rare to walk into a hotel room and find everything one actually needs! Comfortable room, great bed, nice touches though the bold interiors maybe not to everyone's taste. Only gripe was the shower not draining fast enough - they really should get that sorted. Nonetheless will defintely be back when next in London.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooke H, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo London Kensington, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Dubandabroad,

Thank you for your comments from your recent stay with us. I am so glad that you found everything you needed at the hotel and you enjoyed the bright vibrant colours that make this boutique hotel unique. During August we completely audited all of our showers and drainage systems from the comments that we were receiving from guests and this was completed at the beginning of September.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards,