“Good 3 Star Hotel”

Ranked #460 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Hong Kong
“Good 3 Star Hotel”
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights in May 2014 as part of a package, (flight & hotel), from the Far East.
I arrived in London quite early in the day - too early for the normal check-in. However, although the girl on the front desk pointed out that I was too early to check in, she then offered me a room for "disabled" clients - if I didn't mind taking that one!

As that meant I could check in immediately the suggestion was fine with me. in the room the washbasin in the bathroom was lower than normal and the toilet had "bars" to assist people sitting down & standing up - but those were about the only things different to a "normal" room.

The room itself was very clean with a spotless bathroom and very comfortable bed. There was complimentary tea and coffee provided. The walls in the hotel are thin but I didn't find the place noisy.

A couple of criticisms; the efficient young lady on the desk unfortunately didn't enable my WiFi, but I was able to sort out the problem the following day with her male colleague.

My room didn't have a room safe, but the hotel does have safe deposit boxes in the lobby and I was able to avail myself of that facility.

The shower is equipped with a curtain which tends to wrap itself around one's body when showering.
I would suggest that curtains be replaced with a more substantial screen, but I am mindful of the fact that I was staying in a room for disabled clients. Perhaps a screen would be impractical for such clients.

The TV in the room was rather odd, in that the brightness dimmed itself to a level which I would not set myself!

During my stay the hotel lifts were undergoing some sort of an upgrade, which meant delays waiting and some overcrowding at peak times. So be it; I'm sure the upgrade is necessary and one has to live with these things.

My "package" included a continental breakfast but I was able to upgrade that to a full buffet breakfast without too much hassle.

Overall I was happy with my stay and would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Melchie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I went there for an ICT conference and only saw the conference centre. I got off the train at West Brompton and it is a 2 or 3 minutes walk to the left when you get out of the station - It is unmissable!

The staff were excellent, venue spotlessly clean and the food (a buffet) was excellent.

Overall, I would love to visit again.

Well done!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Edinburgh
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed at the Ibis for three nights with 4 adults and 1 child at the start of May. For the price we paid for all of us I thought it was very good value for money for a hotel very close to central London.

POSITIVES: Comfortable beds, good room size, lots of storage, close to train & tube stations, well soundproofed rooms, good breakfast selection although see negative comment, helpful restaurant staff, good shower in the bathroom as in lots of hotels these can be rather weak.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Side plates used as main plates at breakfast to try and limit your portion size, the quality of the breakfast was very average, non smiling male receptionist on arrival (I am not expecting a song and dance on arrival but even a small smile doesn't cost anything) and then absolute minimum conversation as we stood with him for about 10 mins.

All in all I would say the criticisms are fairly minor and would not stop me going back next time we are in London.

On a seperate issue if the management read this review there is one thing I think you should address and that is a member of staff who I found twice to be unhelpful almost to the point of being aggressive. I don't wan't to name him publicly so let's call him Ardam (I am sure you will know who I mean). He works front of house in a very high profile public dealing position so you would certainly expect a degree of courtesy when dealing with a hotel guest. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and this is the first time I have ever singled one member of staff out, but I found him to be very rude and as previously stated almost to the point of aggression and that I felt like I was imposing on his time. The first time it happened I put it down to him having a bad day but the next day when it happened again I started to question his role.

For me in a hotel or resort one of the main things that can make or break how people feel treated is by how helpful and friendly the staff come across, and unfortunately I feel on this occassion my expectations have not been met.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank mac10biker
Wembdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

A four day stay and we were fortunate to have a nice room on the 12th floor so that was quiet and clearly been refurbished relatively recently. The hotel is a little tired but work seems to be underway. As a busy city centre hotel the lifts can be frustratingly busy and breakfast can be chaotic- I would skip the buffet breakfast, its ok but there are nice coffee shops etc not far away. We ate in the pub on the 1st floor and I would suggest only use it during the week as the Sunday menu is awful-the rest of the time its good and the service is prompt.

Room Tip: A high floor is always better for this location
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Phil C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Lets start off on my holiday,we left Vancouver bc on apr20 2014 on Air Canada.Took 9:30 hrs. non-stop.The meal was ok, beef or chicken meal plus a snack later. We also had the Air Canada premier lounge at YVR, they had soups ,salad ,sandwiches,desserts and beer /wine etc all for appox 50.00.
Arrived at approx. 11.30am 21st apr. at at terminal 3 heathrow airport,very long way to customs and baggage is a hassle there.
Took the tube (subway) piccadilli line to earls court and change to Wimbledon using direct line one stop to south brompton ,then turn left out of station and 2 blocks to the hotel.
The buffet was good, eggs, back bacon, cereal ,toast ,hasbrowns ,mushrooms ,pastery,muffins,baked tomatoes beverages and of course pig blood sausage ,ugh ugh
Staff were good and the hotel was clean,
PRO; good buffet-close to underground -clean
CON; no fridge-no fan in toilet-no safe in room.
ATTRACTIONS TO GO TO.
LONDON EYE..RIVER ROVER CRUISE...NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM..CHANGING OF THE GUARD AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE
A MUST SEE: HAMPTON COURT AND KESSINGTON PALACE
You must go to Oxford university, it will blow your mind ,it about 1 plus hours from the hotel. Cambridge is very commercial unlike Oxford.
We explored many food places ,the best was PiEMINISTER for meat pies.
Best travel plan...buy the National Rail 7 Day pass, use the 2 for 1 vouchers online at days-out site.we bought it at Victoria Station with a passport photo for sticking on the ticket

Room Tip: rooms facing the driveway are quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
norfolk
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Easy to find and close to tube station. Friendly helpful staff, clean room with what we needed and extra towels given readily on request. Substantial buffet breakfast with a very good selection. Great base for doing stuff in London.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank tanzanitegirlblue
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My son and I stayed here just over a week ago for 3 nights. Our room was clean, comfortable and cosy and the staff in the hotel were just lovely. Everyone was so helpful and friendly and the breakfast was just fab!!! The hotel is literally a 2 minute walk to West Brompton station and I would definitely consider staying here again on our next trip to London.
Only criticism I have is the pizza we had in the bar one evening. The base was so thin it was like paper!! Toppings were fine but the base was pretty rubbish.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family