“Not too bad, but not great either”

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington
Ranked #541 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Germany
“Not too bad, but not great either”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I usually stay at another hotel in the Earls Court area, but unfortunately it was fully booked, so I tried the Burns Hotel.
The location is great, very close to Earls Court station. I hadn't expected to check in because I arrived very early, so it was a pleasant surprise that the friendly lady at reception had a room ready for me. For a single, the size of the room was OK and there was a bathroom with a tub and shower.
Now for the negative points:
- The hotel definitely needs some work done, very faded and outdated 80s decor, had expected a bit more from a Best Western.
- Toilet flush and sink were not working properly. I complained to reception about this, the toilet was fixed (but not really well), the sink was not.
- Extremely creaky floorboards under the carpet, walking on tiptoe did not help.
- The room was a bit hot and stuffy.
- Even though the room was cleaned daily, this also showed a lack of attention to detail. In the info folder, I found personal details of a group who'd stayed there a month ago, soap was not replaced and neither were coffee and milk, so I ran out of instant coffee on the last morning.
- The clerk on duty at checkout was incredibly rude. After keeping me waiting for about 20 minutes while sorting out a London sightseeing tour for other guests who couldn't make up their minds, he then shouted at me when I asked for a receipt. He told me he could not give me a receipt because I'd booked online - never heard of that. Apparently, the lady at check-in was the only friendly member of the staff.
I did not have breakfast at the hotel, there are many great breakfast places nearby - I would recommend the Blackbird pub or the Cafe du Coin where you can have a full English breakfast at much lower prices than the hotel (they charge 9,50 GBP).
Would maybe stay here again in a pinch, but there are definitely nicer options around.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed here for one week and were very thankful for the location of the hotel, as it is located very close to the Earl's Court subway station, and the neighboring area has lots of restaurants, cafes, pubs and supermarkets.

At the same time, even though the neighborhood is very active, the hotel itself is located on a side street, facing a small residential garden, and thus, provides all the peace and quiet you will need for a good night's rest.

I received both friendly and less-friendly service from the front desk, depending on who was working that day, but there was nothing to complain about, really.

Having to ask for a different Wi-Fi password every day was a bit annoying, but, considering that they provided free Internet access (although limited), I was more than happy to comply.

The room itself is clean and has tea making facilities, with an electric water boiler, tea and coffee bags, condensed milk, sugar and sweetener provided on a daily basis.

The bathroom is also clean and they provide complimentary bathroom products personalized with their logo and cute messages. At the same time, I really can't understand the lack of a toilet brush. We experienced the same thing in Paris last year. You really cannot have a bathroom without one!

Another quirk was the fact that the hairdryer was mounted in the bedroom (instead of the bathroom), next to the TV.

Everything worked in our room, although the furnishings could definitely use an update, particularly in the bathroom.

The oddest thing that happened was the fact that we bought a big bar of Cadbury chocolate one night. We each had a square and then put it away, as we had returned from a hearty dinner and didn't have room for anything more.
The following morning we left to go sightseeing. Upon returning, we found half the bar of chocolate on the desk in our room had been eaten. We were both stunned that this would happen, but decided not to be petty and didn't complain about it to the front desk. It was still the first time anything like this ever happened to us and we definitely felt a bit uneasy about what we were leaving behind each time we left our room.

If I were to return to London, I would consider staying here again just for the location, but the hotel itself doesn't really stand out in any other way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden if you need a quiet night of sleep.
1 Thank DarkWidow
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel is disgusting! Rooms are so small and very very very hot! No where to put your luggage. Breakfast is a joke! First day we want to have breakfast was gross very very old crusted food on the tables moved twice and could not find a clean one. No bartender available in the evenings. Bathrooms are really bad and need a lot of work! Tubs are stained, caulking around them filthy, floors peeling! The reviews did not mention any of this!! Elevator made you scared you would get stuck and no emergency phone and forget taking luggage on it it fits a max of 2 people!! Coffee stinks and the choices are extremely scarce. The restaurant if you can call it one is only open Monday thru Friday and no holidays thank heavens for the pubs around the corner! Could not wait to leave they should give me money for staying there! Not one polite person no thank you how was you stay or even excuse me! Avoid at all costs! Location does not make up for comfort and well being! Our backs and necks will take weeks to heal from the 3 nights of hell in the bed which I fell out of twice when rolling over due to its size! Please please please avoid at all cost! I would of rather of slept in a car!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mapeterson25

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

zurich
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is my 2nd stay and hotel on Barkston Gardens . My room ( 45 ) was in the basement . I'd booked a single room and as expected it was small and compact. Everything worked perfectly ( tv , toilet , shower , hot/cold water) . Having a basement room , don't expect a view . There are bars in front of the window and its quite dark . Agreed its a great location , being close to Earls Court road where you'll find a selection of restaurants , bars , pubs and supermarkets . Perfect for people arriving and leaving from Heathrow as Earls Court station is on the the Piccadilly Line ( 40mins travel ). As I experienced in my last hotel , having a room on the Barkston garden side can be noisy, if you're a light sleeper.
My friend booked a double room ( 116 ) . This was on the other side . Much bigger , lighter and quiet.
Overall I found the staff , reception and bar very helpful and friendly .
When booking this hotel or any other hotel on this road ask for a room on the side of the hotel that is not facing Barkston Garden

Room Tip: Not facing Barkston Gardens . Wi-Fi reception not great in basement
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I chose this hotel because we got a great price for it. We paid extra to have the English Breakfast. We had a small room which overlooked the quiet street Barkston Gardens. It took us five minutes to walk to Earls Court tube station. From there, we easily travelled all over London. We also got to Paddington easily to catch a train for Bath Spa. The hotel was clean and the receptionists were very nice. They have a very small lift but it was easy to take the stairs anyway. They have avery small bar and breakfast room. Breakfast was decent. They also have a computer desktop for those who don't have wifi free of charge, which is right next to the bar. It was really a great place to stay and had no problems at all. We got a great night's sleep and there are many stores around the corner to buy some food and a few nearby pubs. They also have an outside area to sit, which is also great for smokers (I don't smoke myself) located in the back, which is very peaceful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Europeantraveler0504
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Apart from its close proximity to Earl's Court Tube station and several restaurants down the road, I did not feel that the hotel was that great. We stayed in a triple room (Room 47) down the basement, where the wifi did not seem to work. The staff were kind enough to re-start the system but that did not help either. The room was large enough for 3 people but the room is rather dated in furnishing. Because the room was in the basement facing the foot pavement, we could hear footsteps all night, and when people were standing outside talking. This was rather noisy and we had to shut the window. The continental breakfast fell below any standards of a chain hotel and we skipped our breakfast the next morning.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our second stay in the burns hotel, my wife and I enjoying a night away without the kids to visit galleries, go shopping, take in a concert. It is ideally situated for Earls court tube (2 mins walk), Gloucester road tube (8 mins walk) and the Museums of Natural History, V&A, and the Science museum (all about 25 mins walk), and the Royal Albert Hall (25 mins walk)

We stayed here before in 2012 and were quite happy about booking again. We were given a basement room with a window looking over a small courtyard. The room was a reasonable size, not large but not tiny either. The en-suite was clean and worked well. My only complaint about the room was the bed was a bit small and a bit short for me (i'm 6.5") - not something i remembered from our previous visit.

We had a Full English breakfast in the room rate, which consisted of a good quality sausage, bacon, 2 eggs, beans, mushrooms and fried tomatoes. There was also as much cereal, toast, croissants, and continental breakfast as you like. Be warned - if you order decaf coffee you will get instant. The normal coffee is filter.

I was particularly impressed that the staff were willing to sort out my problem. I'd booked the room on the non-refundable rate, but whilst booked I'd accidentally booked for the wrong date. It was entirely my fault and as the rate was non-refunable, the hotel had no obligation to change the date or refund me. I realised the mistake about a week before our stay. The manager was kind enough to allow me to change the reservation to the date I required, only requiring me to pay the difference in the room rate for that day. I was very pleased with this.

How does it compare to other hotels I've stayed at in the area? It is more expensive but much better than the Reem Hotel in Bayeswater. There is also a Best Western on Lancaster Gate called the Mornington, which was a little nicer with more contemporary styling, but also a little more expensive than the Burns. Overall I'd be very happy to stay at the Burns again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple