“If a hotel has achieved perfection, it is the Egerton!”

Egerton House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I continue to have great appreciation for TripAdvisor--we found the Egerton House through TripAdvisor and what a GREAT tip that was!

The Egerton is a perfect small luxury hotel.

First, the location is great, just off Brompton Road, only a few steps away from great restaurants (try The Good Earth and Brompton Quarter), Harrods, bus stops, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and the Tube. But it is on a quiet residential street, offering a nice respite from the city's bustle.

Next, the decor of the hotel (from reception, lounge, bar, and dining room to the bedrooms) is elegant and inviting in every detail. Our deluxe king bedroom was beautifully appointed and packed with everything we could possibly need-- down to Scotch tape and scissors in the desk drawer--or want, including candles on the bathtub at night and an Ipod with our choice of music. (Ipods are available at the Reception desk.)

Third, the staff was splendid. They were friendly, quick to remember your name and ask about your day, ready to talk or to do anything you needed, but not hovering. They were THERE, but not in your way. In short, they offered ideal service.

Lastly, the food was delicious. There was a wide range of cooked and cold items for breakfast and everything was prefectly prepared. I agree with the earlier reviewer who suggested that poached eggs was a good test for a restaurant and the Egerton passed that with flying colors. The Eggs Benedict and even porridge were superb.

One caveat--because the hotel is small, tables and chairs in the lounge and bar may be hard to come by. Go early if you want to be sure of a place to sit. And, oh yes, the martinis are just as good as advertized--and they are prepared beside your table in quite a show! I wish I were enjoying one right now....

Both my traveling companion and I agreed that the Egerton House is a treat we certainly hope to give ourselvesf again soon.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mybagsrpackd
Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed January 20, 2011

If you are looking for a hotel which is well located for south Kensington, Chelsea, Knightsbridge and the west end then this is it. The staff are friendly and helpful but not overbearing. Great service, lovely classically styled rooms. Good for couples and for business. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We just returned from a weekend in London staying at the Egerton House. We go away about once a year for some good food, a little nightlife, a show and a nice hotel. At first I have to say that a lot of the choices in hotels this year didn't excite me, but Egerton House lived up to our expectations and more. Very friendly and helpful staff - always a fine line to walk as we like to be looked after and remembered but also retain a degree of privacy. We were upgraded to a suite on arrival at no extra cost. The bar area is relaxed and friendly. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but did have a full room service breakfast which my wife always uses to check whether they can get a poached egg to our room before it goes cold and hard - and it arrived hot and fresh. It is very much a friendly relaxed home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Churchdown_Yank
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed at The Egerton House hotel for the first time this month. Although I had only one night at the hotel it will not be my last.
The room was absolutely delightful, large beautifully appointed and with every amenity one could think of. The bed I can only describe as sumptuous I absolutely adored the pillows. I want some !!!
The staff go out of their way to assist you with anything they can. They offer assistance without being intrusive and mention your name every time you arrive at the desk. it amazes me how they can all know your name from morning staff to night staff. That is attention to detail.
The small bar is delightful and I did treat myself to a martini which was rather potent but equally rather good. I will have to stay longer next time to enjoy the hospitality of the bar. It was really buzzing by the time I left.
I cannot praise this hotel enough. It deserves every review it gets on this site (which is where I found it) and am looking forward to going back.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2011

This is a very quiet small boutique hotel that is very well located to Harrods, Walton Street, etc and is also very well located to public transport.

The staff are very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

This is our second trip to this lovely hotel but this time we decided to bring our two children who are 8 and 6. The staff were lovely and absolutely wonderful with the kids, dispensing chocolate and sweets and perfectly directed enquiries about their day, their teddies etc etc. We had a wonderful afternoon tea with champagne included in our package and I would love to have given the Egerton the same five star rating I gave it last time. However, this time I did feel it let itself down on the quality of the rooms. We booked an interconnecting King and Queen room. The Queen was fine: spacious, everything in working order but the King was a sad disappointment. The temperature in the room on arrival was stifling and the air conditioning did not work as it was set to heating only. We were informed that it couldn't be fixed as it was the bank holiday weekend and had to resort to having the window open which was a bit noisy (and my husband was then reluctant to close it in case the room became too warm again). The extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work at all and it became impossible to breathe in there after we'd had a shower. The tap on the shower came off in your hand (an obvious bodged fix) and made it very difficult to turn the shower off or adjust the temp on the water - we were either scalded or frozen. Finally, the room was terribly overcrowded with furniture and actually felt smaller than the children's Queen room. All in all, I was disappointed with the room, especially after the suite we'd booked last time was so lovely. Fix the room and I would give everything else six stars, including the breakfasts!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank UkMrsC
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We chose this hotel based on other Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed on our two night stay. The hotel is in a great position - very close to Harrods and the other amenities around Brompton Road but it's in a very quiet street. It's a very homely hotel with exceptionally friendly staff. We had a couple of maintenance issues with our room but these were dealt with efficiently and without fuss. The food in the bar was excellent - we tried lunch and afternoon tea, and it was very nice to be able to have breakfast in our room at no extra cost.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple