“Old world charm and great hospitality, a gem in London with a great location too!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Egerton House Hotel

Egerton House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at Egerton House Hotel for a night as we had a function to attend in London. We were referred to it by a South African friend. What a wonderful place to have stayed! The hotel isn't very large but this is what makes it so charming coupled with its beautiful interior and special antique pieces dotted throughout the hotel. The rooms are lovely as are the bathrooms, finished with special green marble/granite tops. For what seems an older hotel, it feels brand new (the interior must have recently been re-done) and is equipped with the latest flat screens (bedroom and bathroom), docking stations and tea/coffee stations. Each item in the room has been carefully considered and it was a real treat to enjoy a night in this hotel. We were also treated so nicely by all the staff - champagne on arrival served in our rooms! They were so friendly, helpful and professional - they really make the hotel the special place that it is (special thank you to Feray, you were so kind to us!). The bar is also a real treat - it is cosy and warm and although we didn't try them, we have heard that their martini's are London's finest. We got back from our function very late at night and the receptionist was kind enough to open the bar for us to have a drink. The location of the hotel is also superb, its a few hundred metres away from Harrods and the rest of what Brompton road/Knightsbridge has to offer. A definite must!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shayna C
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting a review of The Egerton House Hotel following your recent stay with us and I am pleased that it was a memorable and that you felt it was wonderful. We are very proud of our little gem.

The interior is very beautiful with lot’s of antique pieces throughout and the thought and detail of the property is carefully maintained to a very high standard. We do pride ourselves in keeping up to date with modern technology and therefore all are rooms are equipped with flat screen TV’s, docking stations and tea and coffee making facilities.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your warm welcome and complimentary champagne and that you found the staff to be friendly helpful and professional and that you felt this made the hotel very special.

What a shame that you enjoyed a drink in the bar but not a famous martini, perhaps on a future visit?

I have passed your kind words to all the team but especially Feray and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back when you next have a function to attend in London.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance at any time.

Michelle Devlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

My recent 4 night stay celebrating my birthday in the V&A suite was a dream-come-true! The suite itself [sitting room and bedroom] was truly luxurious and the bathrooms were fabulous - the walk-in shower was particularly welcome after a long London day of sight-seeing before a visit to the theatre. The V&A and Natural History museums are mere minutes away too [although I had no time to visit either on this occasion I hope to do so on a future visit.] I must say that Esley makes the best fruit cocktail! The food is also worthy of mention! [delicious burgers and superb steaks!] But for me it is the staff that makes the Egerton a truly 5-star hotel. Everyone I encountered [from the chambermaids, to the bar staff, the butlers, receptionists and management] was lovely - truly attentive and polite; doing all they could to ensure my every need and want was catered to! And the personal touches [chocolates and a farewell cake!] were a real treat! Big thanks to Michelle, Annie, Rosslee, Raul, Jovita and [I can't name everyone individually here who was so helpful to me but whose service was no less than outstanding!] to your respective teams at the Egerton - I am already looking forward to my next stay at your fabulous hotel! Best wishes and thanks! 'Lady S'

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LadySarah1981
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure taking care of you during your very special birthday visit to The Egerton House Hotel and I am so pleased that it was your dream come through. Our Victoria & Albert is indeed luxurious with beautiful bathrooms and is aptly names are we are only 5 minutes away from The Victoria & Albert museum. We are also a only a few minutes away from the underground and the wonderful shops and restaurants in Knightsbridge.

It is rewarding to read that everyone you encountered was lovely, attentive and polite and that all your needs and wants were catered to and that you enjoyed the personal touches that we provide.

It really was our pleasure to share such a special occasion with you and we are thrilled that we made it memorable.

We would like to thank you for your wonderful review and we are looking forward to welcoming you back on a future and in the not too distant future.

Harpswell, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I took my husband to The Egerton House Hotel as a surprise trip for his 50th birthday. We booked through Valerie Wilson Travel in NYC and were treated like royalty. No detail was spared for our comfort. Each and every staff member we met were extremely helpful and polite. The room was gorgeous and clean, the bed extremely comfortable. Breakfasts were delicious, fresh, and with ample choices. We even enjoyed a gourmet birthday cake one evening sent by the staff :). I'd highly recommend this boutique hotel for a relaxing and special visit to London.

Room Tip: We were in a suite on the 4th floor off the main street and it was quiet at night.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank D P
Dear Guest,

How wonderful to hear that you were treated like royalty during your visit to The Egerton House Hotel and I am thrilled that your husband enjoyed his 50th birthday and that no detail was spared. It is really pleasing to hear that each and every member of staff were extremely helpful and polite. Our rooms are delightful, comfortable and our housekeeping team are meticulous when it come to standards.

Thank you for your lovely feedback which I have passed to each department and who really appreciate such lovely comments.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Egerton House is one of six hotels in London run by the Red Carnation group of high-end hotels. We have stayed in another of these (the Chesterfield Mayfair) and so, from our sample of two, have seen noteworthy similarities. In particular, the hands-on management of the owner, Bea Tollman, features a distinct sense of style in the furnishings and decor, thorough-going maintenance, and careful staff training.
The Egerton House is located a block south of Brompton Road, between the South Kensington and Knightsbridge tube stops ( or between Harrods and the Victoria and Albert Museum), on the edge of an upscale residential area. It is one (or two) of a row of town houses, small (25-30 rooms), recently acquired and refurbished. The staff/guest ratio is high.
When we choose a hotel we look for a place where we can sleep well (i.e. quiet with a decent bed or beds), the room is comfortable (with enough space for our luggage and ourselves) , and the staff is helpful and knowledgeable... in that order.
We found all of these at the Egerton House. Our stay consisted of a few days at the beginning of our trip, a few days in the middle, and one day at the end since we were using London as a base for trips north and south to view Gothic Cathedrals. This meant we slept in four different rooms, which ranged from somewhat small to large to positively palatial (the Victoria and Albert Suite) . When we left our large suitcases behind whilst off on our trips, the staff always stored them for us when we left and had put them in our new room when we returned.The staff also provided good advice on local restaurants, getting around London, and returning to the airport. They were uniformly friendly, helpful, knew our names, and we were always greeted with a smile. (This applied in the breakfast room as well, where we had excellent, made-to-order breakfasts). We got to know one of the under-managers, Annie, and found that we shared a number of common interests. Since she was particularly good to us, when we think of the Egerton House, we will always think of her.

Room Tip: Rooms 15 and 25 are particularly large and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelenthusiast070
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review of your 3 stays on the site and it was our great pleasure looking after. We are thrilled to get such wonderful and detailed feedback.

We are situated in a quiet street in fashionable Knightsbridge which offers peace and tranquility in abundance. Many of London’s most popular attractions are on the doorstep and some of London's most famous stores nearby. Harrods and Harvey Nichols are just yards from the front door.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your selection of rooms, all very individual but very comfortable and that the staff were helpful and knowledgeable. We are all highly trained people with a great passion for what we do and it is our goal to provide the highest standard of service possible so I am very pleased that you did. We are always happy to store luggage for returning guests, it is such a valuable service we provide and it means that you can travel much lighter and in the knowledge that your luggage will be safe and in your room for your return. (I do hope you enjoyed your Gothic Cathedrals)

I am happy to hear that all the team uniformly helpful and that you availed of our concierge service. Again we pride ourselves on being very knowledgeably on the best shows, the best restaurants and indeed the best that London has to offer.

I have passed your kind words to all my team and especially Annie who sends her best wishes and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit to London.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed in the Egerton House for one night in September and really really loved it! It is small, and it is expensive, but to my mind worth every penny. The room was tiny but beautifully decorated and furnished. The treats in the room were lovely, the staff were amazing. Breakfast was fabulous - I honestly couldn't fault it. We (after a stay at another hotel that was cheaper earlier this week) have decided to make it our "home" when we go up to London in future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sussexfarmers
Michelle D, General Manager at Egerton House Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on the site following your stay with us and it is delightful to hear that you loved your stay and enjoyed the little extra treats that we provide for our guests. We do work incredibly hard to make sure that we provide the highest level of service for our guests. How wonderful that you felt that you could not fault us.

We sincerely hope that you do make us your home away from home and that you will return in the not too distant future and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel is all class. Wonderful location, great service, nothing was too much for an attentive and extremely well mannered staff. The room though relatvely small was wonderfuly well appointed with all the desirable accoutrements and a great bathroom. The quality of the farewell cake (what a nice touch) blew us away. CharlesN

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
16 Thank Charles N
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on the site following your stay with us and I am delighted that you feel that the hotel is class, that you enjoyed the location, the service the attentive and well mannered staff to whom I have passed your lovely comments.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed your room and bathroom and indeed the farewell cake and I hope that your journey home was safe and pleasant.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED The Egerton House Hotel. It was comfortable, refined, and the service was impeccable. From beginning to end, all of the personnel was professional, most helpful, courteous, and genuinely interested in their guests. I would be remiss in not mentioning Antonio and the fabulous martini. And, the wonderful atmosphere he creates in the sitting room/bar. All the raving reviews about him are true! The breakfasts were great, too!
The location in Knightsbridge was perfect. Close to some beautiful areas but on a peaceful street.
The rooms were small but beautifully appointed and lacked nothing.
I would stay here again in a second. I look forward to returning. Thanks to the staff for a lovely time!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SusieNYC03
Dear Guest,

It is so wonderful to hear that you loved the hotel so much and I am delighted that you found it to be comfortable, refined and the service impeccable. I am pleased to hear that the team were professional, most helpful, courteous and genuinely interested in guest. We genuinely are interested in our guests and we want them to have a wonderful and memorable stay with us so I am pleased that you had a lovely time.

Antonio and his little bar is a must when staying with us and he does make a killer martini in the comfort of our cosy drawing room. It is also nice to hear that you enjoyed breakfast in our delightful dining room.

I have passed your kind words to all the team who are indeed very grateful and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit to London.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.