“Fantastic hotel .... great value in a superb central location”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
Ranked #334 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Dorset
“Fantastic hotel .... great value in a superb central location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

Just come back from a one night stay at this hotel. Location could not be faulted - just across the road from Gloucester Road tube station and a 5/10 minute walk from the Natural History Museum and V&A museum.

Greeting by reception was fantastic, our cases were taken off of us and the check in was very quick & easy. We had a deal which offered us a complimentary upgrade to a King Room which was a great size with King bed and sofa and lovely bathroom.

We left straight away but when we came back we had a voicemail from reception checking everything was okay - a nice touch. Later on we had a bottle of wine left for us outside the door from the hotel, again a very nice touch.

We didn't eat at this hotel at all so can't rate the food.

Would definitely return to this hotel for it's location and service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank carlysparkle
Neilduffen, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
Dear Guest,
Wow! Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to the Radisson Vanderbilt Hotel!!
We pride ourselves on offering a friendly but not obstrusive service to all of our guests - nothing is too much trouble for any member of our team!
I do hope that you will think of us for your next visit to London and that you will have time to enoy dinner in the restaurant - a really special experience with a delightful menu that has wine matched to each dish.
If I can be of assistance with regards to future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel.
Neil Duffen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

Staff were very willing to help. A perfect location to stay for visitng the V&A, Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. I found the rooms clean and of a high quality - even the shower was great! I particularly liked the way you could have a wine/food combo where a different wine came with the starter, main and sweet. The food was very good.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Kenrick4
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Vanderbilt for your recent visit to London - and thank you for your wonderful comments, we really do appreciate them!!
I do hope on your next visit you will be able to relax with a traditional afternoon tea - the perfect end to a busy day of shopping or sightseeing!!
If I can be of any assistance with future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

At this Radisson for a recent concert at Royal Albert Hall - perfect location for that (10 mins walk away) and great location in general. Nearly cancelled whole trip because I was frustrated trying to find a hotel in right location for right price and thought "can't go wrong with a Radisson" and I was right. Luckily this was ideal location and cheapest of the other Radissons. The room WAS very small but I was only staying one night and spent less than a total of 5 hours there. It was very clean and simple and bathroom was the same. The public areas - lobby/bar/restaurant are lovely and cosy and nice afternoon tea available. Only problem, and it may have been a communication problem or my fault that I was not clear, but as I was leaving very very early the next morning I asked for a taxi to the train station. I meant, and expected a black cab but a private car arrive costing more than I expect a cab too. But again, the staff were great so that might just have been lack of clarity. Would definitely recommend to a friend - there is nearly TOO much choice in London and you never know what you'll get but this is a safe bet.

2 Thank CatCliff
Dear Traveller,
My sincere gratitude for your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to the Vanderbilt Hotel! As you quite rightly highlight, the location could not be better, whether your here for the Albert Hall, Harrods, Hyde Park or just simply a shopping weekend - all are within easy walking distance! I was happy to note that you enjoyed Afternoon Tea - it really is something special here at the Vanderbilt. Calming, relaxing - and quite traditional in the surroundings. I do hope you will think of us for your return visit to London and if I can be of any assistance with future reservations, please don't hesitate to contact me via the hotel
S of England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

One night on business so let’s not go mad. Good check in. Endless corridors but hay. Some corridors having major redecoration work which is GOOD to see, investing in the place. Room and mattress were clean (yes I do check), but tiny. No desk, only a round glass coffee table and 1960s chair. Shower room tiny but functional, bit of black mould in the corners of the shower cubical.

Breakfast was fine, good choice, fresh toast would have been nice, but ok.

Location is quiet, but 100 yards from Gloucester Road tube on the District Line so easy into central London. However, when I arrived I almost walked past the place!

Over all - Ok but tiny room, not well furnished for the business user.

2 Thank HappyTim
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to the Radisson Vanderbilt Hotel.
We are in the process of updating what is, a wonderfully historic building that is also grade 2 listed. I am sure you can appreciate that our rooms do vary greatly in size - but that only adds to the charm and character!
I do hope that you will think of us for your next visit to London and I would be grateful if you would contact me prior to your arrival so I may personally oversee the details of your reservation and ensure that you are allocated a Deluxe room that is equipped for the business traveller. I can be contacted via the hotel.
Warwickshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

I don't normally bother writing a review following business trips but felt the need on this occasion.

I stayed at this hotel last year and although my room was tiny it was ok. On this occasion I was very disappointed.

Check in was fine the lady friendly. I was directed to my room which took me to a lift far from reception (old style property so to be expected). I passed through what looked like a refurbished part of the hotel with lots of signs warning of wet paint (quite tricky when carrying numerous bags) only to arrive at my room on the fourth floor in a none furnished part of the hotel! I was told at check in that it was a superior double - the bed was pushed up against the wall under the window and the room was very small - not for 2 people that’s for sure and not sure why it has the label of 'superior'!! I unpacked my bag to put my trousers in the trouser press...trouser press was broken (there is an iron though also). Reception did call to ask if everything was ok (nice touch) and I explained about the trouser press but we agreed I could use the iron instead!

Then I ordered room service...just a chicken sandwich with chips but it came with crisps (I did check this on ordering) and also with a chap without a pen...due to the location of my room he took some time to get back to me by which time I had eaten the sandwich. My tray was still outside my room when I came to check out the next morning.

The towel rail in the bathroom was not very hot so was quite cold in there. The shower cubicle had mould around it and the taps seemed less than clean (due to lime scale I think).

There was no lamp in the room so it was lights on or off...was nice to wake up to in the dark and put the glaring bright light on!!

The noise in my room was terrible. The additional double glazed window to keep the noise out was broken (the top part was missing) so had little sleep all night due to the traffic noise outside. Then the fire alarm went off for a few seconds....no idea why...there was no explanation at reception when I checked out. Again this added to the non sleeping experience as puts you on edge slightly.

The room was boiling hot and the air conditioning was very noisy. There was free wifi but it was so slow I was unable to download my emails and was unable to get any work done.

If I had been asked at check out what my stay was like I would probably put in my complaint but I was in a rush to get to a meeting and wasn't asked so paid my £170.00 bill and left!

Given I have tried this hotel twice I don't think I will be giving it a 3rd chance - just glad it wasn't my own money that was paying for it.

I would expect far more from this sort of hotel chain especially when the website makes it look so much nicer.

2 Thank AMC32
Neilduffen, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear Guest,
I was sorry to read that your were so disapointed with your recent stay at the Radisson Vanderbilt Hotel. Please be assured that i have shared your comments with the relevant Head of Department so they may investigate further and take any necessary action to ensure they do not reocurr.
Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I would very much like to welcome you back to the Radisson Vanderilt Hotel and I would be extremely grateful if you would conact me via the hotel so we may discuss this further.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.Five star quality and service in every way.Food quality, restaurant service, reception staff and a restaurant with more serving staff than ive seen in other London hotels.Ideally situated on Gloucester Rd with three lines serving the underground make it accessible for all.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gisarne
Dear Guest,
WOW!! - Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Radisson Vanderbilt Hotel !! We really do appreciate it! I do hope on your next visit you will choose to enjoy a massage or facial in the privacy of your own bedroom with our In-Room Spa service! What better way to relax after a hard day at the office or an exciting day shopping !!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

Stay in hotel with my partner and two kids,very noisy and unexperience staff....we order food which was very salty and oily.so we order again as replacement a platter of cheese which came after an hour.Order a cheese sandwich the next day was horrible never taste one like that before.The frigde instead of cold was boiling hot. The room wasnt clean well.For breakfast we order toast which was cold.Only one staff name 'ABDELLAH' was friendly and helful.I stay before in RADISSON CANARY WHALF where the staff is better and friendly,well dress and experience,

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank vani2201
Dear Guest,
I was sorry to read that you recent stay at the Vanderbilt Hotel was not to your complete satisfaction. May I assure you that I have discussed these issues with the hotel management team so they may investigate further and take any action necessary to ensure that such issues do not reoccurr.
May I extend my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I would very much the opportunity to welcome you back to the Radisson Vanderbilt Hotel and I would ask you to contact me via the hotel so we may discuss this further and do something very special for you.
Kind regards