“OK hotel, but not really the usual Radisson Edwardian quality”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
Ranked #334 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Ilkley
“OK hotel, but not really the usual Radisson Edwardian quality”
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night when on business in London. Location is fine for the Natural History and Science museum, but a little bit out for the West End. It's right opposite from Gloucester Road tube station and has a Waitrose, Sainsburys and Tesco Express nearby.

Check in was OK, although I had booked a double room but ended up with a twin room. It was fine for me as I was travelling by myself, but I still think they should have changed it.

The hotel is in an old house and retains this charm, although other people may find it a bit confusing as the rooms aren't clearly marked and it took me a while to find my room.

My room was a good size and had a fridge, for my own use, so no rip-off mini bar prices!

The bathroom was tired and not up to the usual Radisson Edwardian standard, the floor was very badly marked and it looked dirty.

I had a relatively good nights sleep, however, the walls between the rooms were very thin and the room next door was conducting a lot of 'nocturnal activity', which wasn't too pleasant!

Breakfast the next day was nice, but service was very poor. I was just plonked at a table and told to help myself, no advice on where the food was! I only got asked if I wanted coffee and toast when I'd been there for half an hour, by which stage I was ready to leave.

I was at the hotel during the tube strike so having free wifi in my room really helped as I worked in my hotel room in the morning and avoided the rush hour into work.

Overall, the hotel was OK, but nothing special. Not as good as some of the other Radisson Edwardian's I've stayed in.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank BigAlIlkley
BarbaraFrigiolini, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time out to leave a feedback about your most recent stay with us at the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt hotel.
I was very disappointed to learn that your stay with us was not satisfactory due the problems that you encountered. I have discussed this matter at length with the team to ensure such shortcomings in our services do not reoccur in future. I realise that there are many choices available to you and although we failed to meet your expectations, I hope that you might be willing to give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. Should you choose to stay with us again, please drop me a line so that I can make sure you receive the level of service you deserve.

Barbara Frigiolini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Huddersfield
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I stayed here while on business for 1 night and with a tube strike quite far away from my work....but that was my fault for booking late. The location is really good with Gloucester road tube close by. The hotel looks quite similar to other Edwardians when you walk in but thankfully things get much better. The check in staff were friendly, walking me to the lift and I got a call after a few mins to see if everything was ok. The room was a decent size and quite modern.

I had a bar snack and once again really impressed with how attentive the staff were. It is no suprise this Edwardian is rated better than others.....obvious!

It mat not be as close as other hotels but will be back. It is also pretty cheap so just above your budget chains.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank The_happy_racegoer
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2010

The Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt welcomes you the moment you step through the doors. The staff are friendly and care about the service they offer. My room was comfortable and clean with a contemporay feel about it. The food of a very good standard although some items were expensive. The breakfast excellent.
The location of the Hotel couldn't be better being a short walk from Gloucester Road tube. Enjoy it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank stuart067
Dear Guest,

Further to your recent stay at the Vanderbilt Hotel I am in receipt of your feedback which you very kindly took the time to complete online.

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team here at the Hotel and I am sincerely delighted to read that you found your stay without fault from start to finish, as the Hotel Manager I could not wish for more!

I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the Vanderbilt sometime in the future.

manchester, UK
Reviewed November 3, 2010

great customer service via the phone - no communication of noise from the main road. as a result terrible night's sleep and late for crucial business meeting the next morning (the reason i came to london in first place).
called to ask what could be done - the bloke on the phone seemed pretty out of touch, foreign accent and said his name was kieran. high rates for v poor hotel - oh and the iron was dirty so when i started to iron my dress shirt for thd black tie eveng it left black marks on thd collar. only thing this hotel has going for it is good telephone support, good handling of london's shockingly bad public transport system and a good central location. Certainly doesn't do what it says on the tin - ie pics on website are totally misleading. ps the prices are ridiculoud - a bloke on the table at the awards i went to said he got an independent chain double room for two for £10 more than i paid or a single. Honestly, stay away from here, especially if booking for thd olympics.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank sammy978
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I take this opportunity to convey my apologies for your experience while staying with us.
Due to the nature of our building all the rooms vary in size and shape and I would like to apologise if in this occasion you found your room a bit smaller.
I am pleased to confirm that we are about to undertake a further soft refurbishment program at the hotel, which will include double glazing in our bedrooms.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2010

The Vanderbilt is certainly well positioned and the public rooms are pleasant but our bedroom left much to be desired.

The first room we were offered had the double-glazing panels removed from the windows and the traffic noise was intrusive. The bathroom was smelly.
We packed our things and moved to another room...the bathroom smelled even more...a nasty smell of sewage.
The receptionist offered us another room but we didn't fancy packing up at 10:30 on our last night so we declined.

A hotel of this calibre should not offer rooms where half the window is missing or rooms that smell of sewage.
I told the receptionist I'd read about the smelly bathrooms on Tripadvisor but he denied all knowledge of this...We know, however, that the hotel management read these reviews so they must be aware of the smelly bathrooms!

We were very disappointed and we do not think we had value for money.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank MissisB063
Independence
Reviewed October 27, 2010

My 17 yr old son and I spent five days at the hotel. Tube access was easy. The breakfast staff and meal were excellent. Since teenagers like to sleep too much, I found it nice to go and see the Natural History Museum and the Albert and Victoria Museum while he slept or had breakfast; both are very close to the hotel.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Digem
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time out to leave a feedback about your stay with us at the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel. Thank you for also highlight the convenience location of the hotel, I am sure this will be very useful to some of our future guest.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and also to read that you thought breakfast was 'excellent' .
Looking forward to welcome you back soon

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Locaiton, location, location! This hotel has it all. First of all, it is across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station. Secondly, it is a five minute walk from the South Kensington museums. I was upgraded from a single to a double room which was lovely. It had nice views over the Cromwell Road, a spacious closet and a marble bathroom with a tub and shower. Both room service and the dining room were very nice with good food and service. All the hotel staff were friendly and helpful. I would return again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Martha123
BarbaraFrigiolini, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review of the Radisson Vanderbilt Hotel - we do appreciate all guest reviews!
I was delighted to read your positive comments about the hotel & it is very pleasing to know that you are going to visit us again.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt in the future.