“Radisson in Kensington”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
Ranked #351 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel in Kensington. The hotel was very nice, an older building that been refurbished with modern bathrooms. Bathrooms may present a bit of a challenge for those with difficulties getting in/out of tubs. The location was excellent. The Natural History Museum was next door, a few steps to the Underground, a five minute walk to the Victoria & Albert Museum, and about ten minutes walk to Harrods. One of our party had recent surgery and they were able to accommodate my request for a room near the lift which was greatly appreciated. We also had an excellent experience with the hotel staff. We also enjoyed one of the best meals we had in London at your restaurant. Thank you for an enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Long, rather dark stairways can present a problem for those with walking difficulties, small elevato...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for your review! I am happy that you loved your room and time at the hotel. I am also glad that you enjoyed our Edwardian architecture combined with excellent modern rooms. I hope we see you again on your next trip to London!

All the best,

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was traveling alone and booked myself to this hotel. The pricing and location was great. Upon arrival at the airport, I took a the Piccadilly line and reached the Glouchester station. Very easily and convenient for a single traveller. The downside is that there is no lift so I dragged the luggage up the stairs.. Lucky to meet a nice gentleman who helped to lift my luggage.

The hotel is really less than 5 mins a way and there are several restaurants n cafes nearby. Checking in was a breeze and the staffs are friendly and efficient. The lift is however, very old... And slow. And it broke down once during my stay. I've to climb up n down as I stayed at the fourth storey.

Room is decent but small.. Walkways are also a little narrow. But overall.. I'm pleased with my stay. The hop on and hop off buses are just a stone away so i saved a lot of time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel.

I am pleased that you have mentioned the pleasantries from your stay at our hotel. it is my pleasure to share your feedback with the team and we hope that you will rejoin us again on your next visit to London.

On this visit, please stop by reception and allow me to make your acquaintance.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel punches above it's weight for a four star hotel. Unfortunately the size of the rooms means that it can never achieve five star status, but the service was friendly, helpful and impeccable, and the breakfasts were impressive.
The location is great being a short walk from the Natural History and Science museums, some great london pubs and on the next corner there is a post office that sells tickets to the hop-on hop-off tourist buses which stop just across the road.
We would definitely stay here again on another trip to London.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back of the hotel a quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for rating your stay to be 'very good' and an excellent value for money.

I am sorry that you did not find your room to be comfortable due to its size, which is very much at par with most London hotel bedrooms. I appreciate this can be very subjective, but hope you will rejoin us again and allow me to show you some of our business class and delxue rooms which are certainly amongst the finest in the city.

Please contact me directly via hotel reception so that I can take you around the few options that might benefit your requirement and comfort.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in July for 2 nights, thankfully no more than that. The room was very small and with our 3 suitcases hardly any room to move about at all. The bathroom was also very small and the hot water in the shower took a long time to get hot and then was alternately hot and cold, hot and cold. Very annoying. Location was handy for tube station and Natural History Museum.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Radisson because of its location in Kensington enabling us to walk to areas of interest. Close proximity to the tube was another plus. We found the room to be comfortable despite its small size. Long corridors and a slow lift. We got our daily exercise taking the steps! The hotel is not your typical "chain" which makes it quite charming. Breakfast buffet was a nice addition as well. Staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was very busy during our 5 night stay further evidence to support my recommendation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank PapaGary
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you for complimenting our excellent location and the personalized service. We are always proud of taking care of our guests and I am pleased that my team has emulated this quality.

We look froward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is my first review, I read a few negative reviews before going so I thought I should say how great I found this hotel.

I stayed for three nights over Thurs, Fri and Saturday and have just got home (Sunday). Firstly, this hotel is in a brilliant location in Kensington. It's a 2min walk from Gloucester Road tube station, which is on the Piccadilly underground line - this means that you can get just about anywhere in central London really quickly. Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Kings Cross are just a few stops away. The local area is also really nice, there are a great variety of independent and chain cafes/restaurants/shops right on the door step - names you may recognise include Waitrose, Ask Italian, Burger King, KFC, Nando's, Boots, Starbucks, Cafe Nero etc all by the station. Don't let this out you off though, it is an affluent neighbourhood (not at all noisy) and there is also a nice little patisserie/boulangerie and some nice independents. The pub nearby also looks nice (the do quality fish and chips...apparently) but I didn't go in. It's also located on the same street as the Natural History Museum and V&A etc...and Kensington Gardens and the Royal Albert Hall are just a ten minute walk away.

Check-in was smooth and I was asked if I had any preference on if the room is at the back or the front etc. I said I didn't mind and was given a nice room with a double bed - even though I only paid for a single. Everything in the room was clean and well presented, there was a small wardrobe, small work area, cabinet with new flat screen TV, clock radio which also acts as an ipod or iphone dock/charger, safe, iron, trouser press, and fridge. There were also tea and coffee making facilities and an ice bucket. The bathroom was gorgeous with marble walls/floor and nice smelling shampoo, conditioner, body wash and soap - showercaps and clean towels also provided. There was no bubble bath, which would have been nice but I picked up a large bottle for 69p from the Boots shop across the road. There was a complimentary bottle of water in the room on arrival and within 45mins of checking in I also got a phone call from the front desk asking if everything was ok with my room.

Other reviews have mentioned about the corridors being dark and windy. They're on the dark side but let's not forget that it is a period hotel and several converted townhouses - with a lot of history
- so it isn't going to have floor to ceiling windows! The corridors, bar and reception area are immaculate though and the decor seemed clean and fresh. The lift was a little slow but I twnd to always take the stairs and only used the lift when I had my suitcase.

My room got a little on the warm side but there was good working air con - it was a little noisy but didn't stop me having a good night's sleep as the bed was comfortable! The room was also small, but as I pointed out it was bigger than expected as I'd paid for a single. With only one of me in the room the size was fine for me though. I also found the staff pleasant and they said hello and bye to me each time I left/entered the hotel. I was also offered help with my bags on check-in and departure.

If I were to offer any advice in improvements it would be to 1. Provide bubble bath 2. Less noisy air con 3. Faster lift. Oh, and a corkscrew would be a nice touch as I accidentally bought a bottle of corked wine from the local shop! Screw-top next time!!

Altogether it was a nice three days and I would definitely stay there again. As a lone female traveller I felt very safe even walking back from the Royal Albert Hall at 10.00pm - and that is what matters most to me!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Rach_Yorks

Wow! your review summarizes all our strengths and the ethos that are team work with.. I assure you that your recommended are being considered, however please allow me to mention that you are welcome to contact our 24hrs. room service to secure a cock-srew. I have to say that it seems that you have not visited our restaurant to try our newly launched Scoff & Banter menu. It is already receiving fantastic feedback and is being considered to be an excellent value for money.

Perhaps, on your next visit you will contact me directly so that I can personally ensure that you are well looked after.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Location: 2 mins walk from Gloucester Road underground. You can walk to the park 15 min brisk walk, a few nice med restaurants within 2 mins walk and Harrods about 15 mins walk.
Property:Older style which means a maze of corridors and very comfortable styling inside - large chairs sofas etc
Service:Very good in all areas - very welcoming
Food: Brasserie style, very good food and ok prices but wine overpriced, buffet breakfast fine + reasonable selection but not to same standard as eve meal
Rooms: I had room at the front - stayed few times and I find this a bit noisy. Rooms are very comfortable + magazines and water left with is nice but they are small rooms and a bit dark. Shower is not great and very little storage in bathroom
Overall: A comfortable hotel in good location

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for such an informed and complimenting review of our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in not too distant again.

sincerely,