“Great Service, shame about the shower”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
Ranked #340 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Nelson Bay, Australia
“Great Service, shame about the shower”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The service at the hotel could not be faulted, as soon as we checked in we were well looked after.

When we said that we were worried about the noise from Cromwell Road, the receptionist put us in a room at the back of the hotel, which was very quiet, especially for Central London.

The room itself was small, not unusual for London, but comfortable. The open window provided excellent air conditioning!!

The restaurant staff advised us that the menu was competively priced compared with local choices. We checked the prices, found this to be true and went back to the hotel for an excellent meal.

Breakfast is expensive (like all hotel chains the world over), but there are good local alternatives near Gloucester Road tube station.

The position is very good. We wanted somewhere handy for Paddington and Wimbledon Southfields and the location was just what we wanted.

The big negative was the shower. Right from the start, my wfie had trouble getting it to work and on the final morning (we stayed fro 3 days), neither of us could initially get water from the shower or the bath taps.

Happily, we manged to jiggle something and we got water in the end, but not after a lot of concern about walking out with shampoo lather in our hair.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are quiet. If on the top floor, check that the shower works all the time no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian S
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Hi, sorry about the issue with the shower. This was due to an issue our water supplier had in the area, but I am happy to confirm that this has now been fixed. I hope you will rejoin us again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kumar Mishra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The best part of this hotel is the friendly front end staff but this is where my positive comments end. This hotel is old and very tired. There is nothing here that invokes the grander of this home when owned by the Vanderbilt family. While rated 4 stars I would rate the comfort level at 2 stars. I was staying at the hotel for a mix of business and pleasure, the hotel seemed incapable of booking my stay under one reservation number which caused endless issues during my stay. By a mistake made by the hotel my credit card was charged an excess of $80 and even after giving the hotel two weeks to correct the issue they have done nothing to resolve the issue. I am surprised by the number of positive comments on this hotel as I was there for a full week and saw many unhappy clients.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and complimenting our staff.

I am sorry for your poor experience, although would appreciate if you can spare a few moments and contact me directly so that I can investigate the issues you have shared with us and take corrective actions where appropriate.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel entry is modern and clean then you transition into the old townhouse feel of London. Staff was helpful, bar area nice, hallways long and rooms clean. On the whole a good mix of old and new in a very convenient location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MyScenicViews
Thanks a lot for your compliments.

Indeed the Vanderbilt is a perfect blend of modern amenities in a beautiful Georgian building that dates back to the mid 1800's.

There are many hidden gems in our hotel and I hope you will rejoin us again. May be on this visit we can touch base and I will be delighted to walk with you to share the story of the Vanderbilt.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I will start the review by saying that the staff are really lovely, but the hotel itself was a complete disappointment. I had booked this hotel, which is not cheap, believing the hotel website which stated each room had airconditioning and a fridge knowing I was visiting london in summer. However, this was not the case. The air conditioning did not work and after complaining every day, I was told that 'this was as good as it gets' and 'that I was better off not using it'. They eventually supplied a small desk fan on night 4, which made the room marginally tolerable. Also much to my annoyance the so called 'fridge' was actually just a cool box, which kept nothing cold. The yogurht and fruit I had bought went off within less than 24 hours because the so called cool box is kept in a cupboard which becomes very warm from the heat of the electrics and the overall heat in the room. This was all very disapointing as I could have stayed else where for a lot cheaper and had the same lack of ammenties. The location and downstairs restaurant though were very good. But I wouldn't stay there again and definetly not with a small child.

Room Tip: book a family room on level 1, they said that these rooms had better air con
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry for your poor experience, however I can assure you that our AC's and mini bar fridges are in perfectly fine working conditions for guest comfort.

If you get a moment please contact me at the hotel via reception so that I can investigate this particular issue and reply to you personally.

Regards,
Dublin
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel. The staff were so helpful and lovely as well as informative. The twin room was very comfortable. Even though my room faced the road I barely heard a thing and slept well (the black out curtains also ensured my good sleep). The bed was very comfortable. Once when my tv was broken, the situation was addressed immediately even though it was the evening. The shower had good pressure and the room had everything I could ask for.
The hotel is in a great location. It is only a 2 -3 min walk from the underground. What was an extra bonus is that the Piccadilly line, which is what this hotel is on, goes directly to Heathrow in about 40 min plus this tube stop is close to many great attractions. There are some nice places to eat (I would suggest Wildwood) and there were 2 supermarkets close by as well as a Boots. Finally, I was the envy of my friends who were also in town with the air conditioning. It was the real deal unlike the 2 hotels my friends were staying at. With the temperatures in the high 20's/low 30's it really made such a difference to the quality of my sleep (and I felt rather pampered by it).
This experience reminded me this is what staying in a hotel is supposed to be like - the whole package. It is a beautiful building that has some history to it as well. Since I met my friends for breakfast every morning I am unable to comment on the food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank usacobbler
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thanks very much for your detailed review. Yes, indeed the Vanderbilt Hotel is credited having some amazing staff combined with being in such a wonderful neighbourhood of London our guests can always count on our hospitality and detailed efforts to ensure that you are well looked after.

I am looking forward to meeting you on your next visit to London.

Regards,
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Great position for the museums, very close to underground. Although there was a lot of traffic on the main road we were amazed at how quiet it was in the bedroom. We had a room on the 4th floor looking out onto the street. The room was a standard but we were surprised at it's size. Expected it to be very small but found it more than adequate. Bathroom on the small size but acceptable, after all, this is a London hotel. Staff were very helpful, friendly and didn't meet a single one who didn't say 'hello', smile and say 'have a good day'. Breakfast was good, buffet style. Ate in Scoff and Banter and enjoyed the meal. Again, staff very chatty. TV was a bit of a pain but hadn't gone to London to sit and watch tv. Was a bit pricey but we went for a special occasion and had a deal with the Bowie exhibition at the V & A. It is in Kensington after all.

Room Tip: Higher floor may mean it is quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks very much for your lovely comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and found our facilities very comfortable.

Perhaps on your next visit please let me know in advance so that I can meet you in person.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have used this venue on several occasions and found the staff extremely helpful, always on call and willing to assist. The hotel itself has an element of luxury feel and gives a great impression for perspective candidates. It is easy to locate, just a few minutes walk from Gloucester Road tube station.

Room Tip: The Alexandra room is ideal for a conference set up
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Indeed, the Alexandra room is perfect for your training and other business needs.. Laded with natural daylight (rarity in London hotels!) we also have another 7 rooms all of which are currently being refurbished to a very high standard making them amongst the finest rooms in London for business meetings..

I hope you will join us again on your next visit to London.