“Lovely place let down by detail”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
Ranked #351 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This hotel was the former London residence of the Vanderbilt family, and the interior has been sympathetically re-done to reflect that era. Comfy leather sofas fill Reception and the bar, suitable artwork lines the walls and the whole effect is very pleasant. This also applied to the atmosphere and the staff. We did not dine in, but the breakfast was hot, varied and plentiful.

We had settled on one of their lower priced double rooms and it was indeed very small. A six footer would not have fitted the bed and there was not enough room for an armchair. However, it suited us as we are not quite that tall, and there were all the comforts one expects (TV, tea and coffee, nice soapy things etc). However, the soundproofing was inadequate and we could hear next door talking and their TV. We were also unhappy when a banshee alarm at lots of decibels went off in the room about 7.00 a.m. – I guess it might have been the TV’s burglar alarm. The concierge seemed a bit puzzled but said it wouldn’t happen again and it didn’t.

The biggest problem was in the bathroom, where the hand basin was tiny, and had been squashed in so it overhung the bath (see photo). This meant you could not wash your face without getting water everywhere, and there was no room for toiletries.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dr_AHarrogate
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Upon first entering the hotel you think it seems up the usual high standard of a Radisson hotel, however everything the goes slightly downhill. Shown to my single room where I have been upgraded. Room is very small and upon inspection of the bathroom it appears that house cleaning has not been near the room for a very very very long time. The hotel move me to another room, which is slightly bigger however you are immediately hit by the smell of spray which has been used to cover the fact the room was once a smoking room. Combine that with the fact no wifi working, and upon checking out no real apology just a 'we will look at cleaning the carpets'. All in all poor

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PaulQuinn
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt on Cromwell Rod each year for the last 3 years. I stay for a few days at the beginning of my trip and 10 or so days at the end. I always feel very welcome when I arrive and have always been given a lovely room.
The staff at this hotel are exceptional. I can make special mention of the reception staff, Camilia who looks are people at breakfast and my lovely housemaid Patricia. This is not to say that all the staff are not polite and welcoming because they are.
I think when you travel it is lovely to go to a place where people now know who you are and appreciate that you are a loyal customer. I have certainly found this at the Vanderbilt.
Another reason to stay at the Vanderbilt is the location. Easy to catch bus into Oxford St or the tube to any of the city's attractions.
I always write a review of the hotel when they send me the survey to complete and, on occasions (the first time i stayed), I haver a couple fo issues. Not only did a get a response and a guarantee that the issues would be dealth with BUT the next time I went to the hotel I found that these issues were resolved.
I would highly recommend this hotel and will always stay there when I amk in London

Room Tip: I always get a room facing the street. people say they are more noisy but I have not found this at...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank pcon55
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for such an amazing review.

My team and I are delighted that you have shared this on tripadvisor, allowing all readers to know what a truly pleasant place this really is.

I look forward to be your hotel of choice for many more years.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I travel a lot with business & am very demanding of any hotel I stay at. Not only does a hotel need to provide the basics such as free wifi and comfortable rooms, but it also needs to have a welcoming atmosphere and friendly staff.

I have stayed at The Vanderbilt a few times now on business. My first stay was not entirely satisfactory as I had a few issues with my room. However the manager went out of her way to rectify this and on my return visit ensured that everything was perfect. The staff at the hotel are genuinely welcoming and friendly, and the bar and restaurant area are cosy and have a nice atmosphere. The rooms are comfortable and the location perfect for business or leisure. The hotel is a 3 minute walk (if that) from Gloucester Road Tube Station, and there is a bank, post office and supermarket all in that area. Perfect for the business and leisure traveller.

There are only two minor problems with this hotel, and neither will prevent me from returning. Firstly, the incredibly small and incredibly slow lift. Be prepared to get fit and drag your bags via the stairs if you are in a hurry. Secondly, that the wifi is sometimes not available in certain rooms. However you can always work downstairs in the bar and lounge area so that's not a major problem.

I'd recommend this hotel and will be returning myself on a regular basis.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Vanessa B

Thank you for such an amazing review.

I look forward to be your hotel of choice for many more years.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

A colleague and I were in London to make a business presentation. We suddenly realised we had to make a number of changes. We called into the hotel to ask if we could work somewhere with our laptops. The young man at reception, Jacob, was extremely helpful - findng us a quiet corner where we could work and keeping the coffee coming. He saved the day for us and the hospitality extended to us was exactly the same as if we were staying there. We hope we will have the opportunity to return and this time, stay.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Maurice E

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such pleasant compliments.

I am glad that you enjoyed our hospitality and have so kindly shared your experience on this forum. I have congratulated Jacob with your feedback today, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Finding a place in London for a family of 4 in the middle of July is very challenging. I had spent some time in this area of London a few months before on a conference and loved this area. Our family of 4 with 2 teenagers loved this location. We were close to the tube station but also area was not over crowded and there were many great places to eat within walking distance. The hotel had a breakfast which was quite good and we were ready for an exciting long day touring London everyday. The room was small for the 4 of us but it is London after all. The room was clean and we always felt safe and secure at night. When the kids were tired and in the room on their ipads we enjoyed the hotel lounge and had a nightcap in comfortable surroundings just a few minutes away from the kids

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank drterry2012

Dear Guest,

Your compliments of our hotel is greatly welcomed by us all. Yes - being ON the Museum Mile; a short stroll away from Royal Albert Hall and heart of Knightsbridge definitely has its advantages as it makes us the perfect base for your visit to the capital.

I hope that on all your visits to London you will be staying with us, and with this if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me via hotel reception.

Regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Although overall a slightly better than usual London hotel the care given was impressive. I was let on the lift first and phoned up about whether everything was ok. Good stuff. Ok breakfast. Rooms a little quirky in shape.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Philperrett
KumarMishra, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thanks for such lovely compliments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!