Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt
$288
$279
Hotwire.com
4,199 results
All reviewsgloucester road tube stationthe natural history museumsingle roomthe royal albert hallsouth kensingtonhyde parkpiccadilly lineheathrow airportexcellent locationlondon hotelfamily roombreakfast was includedrooms are smallyogurtharrodscromwellscience
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Unfortunately, we stayed here for 3 nights. The room itself was very spacious and comfortable. It was also quite soundproof and even though we faced a busy street it was very quiet. The bathroom on the other hand was very narrow and tiny and everything was basically on top of everything else. A gerbil would have had a hard time taking a bath in the sink it was so small. That can somewhat be forgiven. The real disaster of this hotel is that absolutely no customer service is given whatsoever.
We had a deluxe room booked by a third party and we were supposed to get a free movie every night, 15 pounds at the bar and also breakfast in the morning had been paid for. Upon checking in we were not informed about any of these “perks.” When we received our welcome call we began to ask some questions and the phone hung up. We were a bit puzzled by this rather rude welcome call. That evening we went to reception to ask about theses “perks” we were supposed to have. After fiddling with the computer system for about 15 minutes the gentleman informed us that yes we were supposed to get these things and was puzzled that we had not received some sort of card explaining everything to us, which we had not. He assured us that everything would be arranged by tomorrow and we should stop by the next day to pick this card up.
The following morning when we went down to breakfast and provided our room number, we were told that we’d have to pay for it extra. We informed them that it was already paid, but were forced to wait until they checked with the front desk to confirm the fact which was indeed true. They promised us that tomorrow it will be all sorted. Fast forward to the 2nd night after a day of sightseeing, we stopped by reception to pick up the aforementioned promised card. Again the fiddling with the computers and the puzzled look, another 15 minutes goes by. Nothing had been prepared for us, but this employee seemed to be just slightly more competent than the last and he himself wrote my name on the card and handed it to me. At that point we’re thinking “Why didn’t yesterday’s employee just do that as well?”
The 2nd morning, same scene while going to breakfast, again nothing whatsoever had changed in our status, we were supposed to pay, whatever minor irritation but for the price paid and the amount of completely useless workers they have there smiling at you but doing absolutely nothing, it is bothering.
The last evening was the most troublesome. Now that we had our card we went to the bar for these 15 Pounds. We each got a cocktail of course the price went over 15, it was 18, but whatever we would pay the 3 pounds for 2 cocktails. I ordered a caipirinha, my favorite cocktail, and I can safely say that the bar staff know nothing about cocktails. It is simple and not even rare, but my caipirinha had no sugar, one slice of half a lime and a few mint leafs. It was terrible and I didn’t even want to begin complaining because at this point I knew how useless everyone was and there was no point. I added my own sugar from the one supplied in the room and it was manageable.
When we wanted to get settled in our room I realized that I could not find my nightie anywhere. We ransacked the room but no nightie. I can only assume that the cleaning lady swept it up with the laundry. It was very light so I could see how it could happen, but still it is careless of the maid especially since I purposely used their note NOT to change our linen because I do think it is a waste. I went down to reception where they informed me that housekeeping was closed. The man couldn’t care less though he said he would make sure housekeeping would be asked first thing in the morning, he didn’t even ask what it looked like, and it is probably very accurate that nothing was ever told to housekeeping in the morning.
The next day before breakfast we went to the receptionist and asked about the nightie. Of course we were assured again that housekeeping would be called ASAP, but again the lady couldn’t seem to care less and the news phased her as if this stuff happens every day, that guests lose their clothing in the hotel. We were told to come back later, as this was the usual way of dealing with guests, probably in hopes that they’d bump into someone else at reception as was the case 95% of the time.
3rd time at breakfast and again claims that it was not paid for, I just lost it and freaked out at the hostess out who sat us right away before checking if it was paid. Of course she went to check as soon as she had sat us down, but that’s fine at least they are not wasting my time and making me feel like some sort of intruder. 3 days in a row and they can’t get anything right, just keep promising things that never happen.
As luck would have it at breakfast, the waitress never did give us a jug of milk for our tea and coffee. Knowing how incompetent the staff was at this point I just decided to get my own milk and filled up a cup at the cereal station. Well this milk turned out to be sour. I didn’t have a choice at this point because I did not see an alternative milk station so I told the waitress that the milk had gone off and that I got it from over there. She really couldn’t care less and just gave me a jug from another table. I then had to clear my old cup of tea since mine had spoiled milk in it already and get a new one by myself as well since I guess they assumed I would first finish my original tea with spoilt milk. The milk in the new jug was OK, but they just left the spoilt milk there in the cereal station for another guest to “enjoy.” I was so disgusted and the taste of the sour milk did not leave my mouth for a good few hours. I had lost my appetite to even eat any of their food. So the last breakfast was completely a disaster, and IMO should have been refunded, but no one cared, I did not even get a sorry. Sour milk at breakfast? That’s apparently the norm at this Radisson hotel.
Knowing it was useless, we had another stop at the reception after breakfast to ask about the nightie. We were informed that the laundry had been sent to be cleaned but they will look when it comes back (sure they will). We were even asked to leave our contact details that they will mail it to us. (They didn’t in case you were wondering).
I was happy we were leaving this dreadful place and as we packed our bags I told my husband, “How much do you want to bet they will want to charge us for some arbitrary things?” Well low and behold upon checkout the 3 pounds which we had owed them had morphed into over 7 pounds. We asked to see the bill. On the bill there was 5.25. 3 pounds and 2.25 for service. The man could not tell us how he had come up with the number of 7 pounds. I informed him that I will not be paying for service since my drink was terrible. Of course the apologies came. I also informed him that they have stolen my nightie (which was not cheap) and had tried to poison me at breakfast and now they are overcharging me. So he said he’d not be charging us for the drinks at all. Good. I grabbed my bags and ran out the first door I could find to be out of there.
The truly funny thing was that the staff still acted very polite while they were extremely aloof and incorrigible, which pissed me off all the more. Don’t say you’re sorry if you don’t actually give a crap and don’t tell me how much you will help me when you don’t do anything at all. Furthermore this hotel tries to drag every last pence out of you as possible by keeping “perks” hidden and overcharging. If you go here, know what you’ve paid for and check your bills, they will be wrong. As for me, I will not be going back, nor will I seek to stay in a Radisson ever again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Atalanta8
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was visiting friends and needed easy access to the West End. Having stayed in the area before I thought I would try a different hotel. This hotel is in close proximity to Gloucester Road Underground station, with superb Central London access via the Cirle, District and Piccadilly lines.

The hotel staff were very friendly and courteous. It is a number of older properties converted into a hotel. I would describe this building as a 'typical' example of hotels of this type.

The guest lift was slow and small. Three of us and our luggage was too heavy.

I'd booked a single room, having navigated the dark and narrow corridors, I opened the door to my room to find a maintenance engineer working. He told me he had advise the necessary team that he was working in the room that had been allocated to me. I called and was immediately moved to another room and automatically upgraded to double room. (Perhaps as there were no other single rooms available?)

The floor was uneven in the room, which wasn't great for moving around. The menus on the TV meant navigating through four levels to simply watch the tv - each time you switched it on.

The bedroom was spotlessly clean and the bed very comfortable with efficient air conditioning.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Trembo
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for the great review and we are all happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I do apologise for the flooring, due to the historic nature of the building The Vanderbilt does have a few quirks here and there – It definitely has character.

If I can be of any assistance arranging future bookings do not hesitate to let me know via the hotel reception.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Reception was good, lift a bit small if you have big bags with you. Rooms a bit small but very clean as was the rest of the hotel. Cups and glasses coem sealed in bags every day so you know they are clean and not washed up in the bathroom. bathroom rather squeezy and the shower not very good, why do they feel the need to put the shower head 6 foot up on the wall I do not know. Plenty of shower gel and body cream. Lovely big towels but not much room to hang them even with the heated twoel rail on the wall. Bed was comfy. Harrods a 15 min walk down the road and a great little supermarket across the road. Would stay again if in London

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara A
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for you kind comments – it is truly motivating to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

With regards to room size, they do all vary in size and layout due to the historic nature of the building. Please accept my apologies that the room was not to your complete satisfaction, however I am more than confident that we are able to find a room to will be perfect for you. Once you have made a reservation simply contact the hotel and let them know of your requirements and we will do our level best to meet them.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I wanted to stay in the Kensington area in London.. Everything went well. Room was of adequate size, clean, and quiet. It seems as if most guests that stay at this hotel are business people which is good....you will not see screaming children running down the halls...which I detest. Anyhow, hotel has one bar and restaurant. Location is very good to the Natural History Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum. I would recommend this hotel..staff is helpful and professional.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Angelica S

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us in Trip Advisor – It is very much appreciated.

Getting the good word out! We are so glad that you found everything to be fully satisfying during your visit- that is our goal. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occaisons, but our recent experiences have left us a wee bit perplexed - room allocation and standards are a real lottery. On the inward journey to London we were allocated a room that was very very tired, the outlook was shabby whilst the bathroom was the size of a dog kennel. On the outward leg of the tour our room was delightful- nice leafy views and a good sized bathroom. Again areal lottery for the same priced rooms.
The staff were pleasant, well trained and professional. The breakfasts were great whilst dinner was average.a point of caution. When suigning for your Bar Dinner bill lookout for the listed obligatory 12.5% tip, plus provision for afurther dicretionary tip. An abhorent practice.

Room Tip: Are you prepared to bet with the lottery
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank RDL60
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

First and foremost may I thank you for your loyalty, it is very much appreciated.

We really value our guests at Radisson Bly Edwardian Vanderbilt hotel and it is our goal to make sure each and every guest has a memorable experience with us for all the right reasons. Please accept my apologies that on certain occasions the rooms you have been allocated have not been to your complete satisfaction. However I am glad that you have brought this to our attention as this is something that can be fixed, due to historic nature of the building all the rooms do vary greatly in size and layout. If you do have a preferred room please do not hesitate to let us know prior to arrival and we will do our level best to honour any requests.

With regards to the service charge, I do feel I need to clarify that it is completely optional, this is also stated on the receipt. I am delighted that you enjoy our breakfast, I must say that I do agree it is delicious – I shall pass on your kind comments to our Head Chef and his team.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip advisor. Next time you make a reservation at the Vanderbilt I kindly ask that you contact me directly so that I take note of your preferences and select your room accordingly. I can easily be contacted via Customer or the Hotel itself.

Warmest Regards,