“Still A Terrific Hotel”

Ranked #344 of 1,069 Hotels in London
USA
“Still A Terrific Hotel”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt is where I stay when I am in London, and after an absence of a couple of years I found it was just as good as I remembered. The staff wants to please and will go the extra step to meet one's room requirements. Hotel employees were uniformly friendly and wanted to be helpful, from reception to maid service and the restaurant staff. My room was a good size, clean, and quiet. I still consider the breakfast to be the best I have had in London, and this hotel will continue in my comfort zone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Neilduffen, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear Guest,
Wow!! Thank you very much for your kind words and your continued support – we really do appreciate it! I do hope on your next visit I will have the opportunity to meet with you personally and perhaps introduce you to our signature cocktail – a classic American drink named after the hotel!
Neil Duffen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
amsterdam
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The lobby looks nice, but the rooms are old, not well kept, and very noisy at the streetside. Since I was warned about this in previous reviews I requested a quiet double room. I received a confirmation by email, but upon arrival I was given a room at the streetside, horribly noisy. The only alternative was a small, véry run down twin-bedded room at the backside of the hotel. There were stains in the bathroom and in the carpet, the curtains were old and also looked dirty. The airco was noisy and hanging half-loose from the sealing. Why didn't anyone bother to fix this?
Only positive thing here is the breakfast. A good selection of fresh products.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
northumberland
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Great location easy to find just across the road from Gloucester Road tube station. Easy walking distance to the Albert Hall, V and A and Natural History Museum.
Room was small, but adequate, lack the special touches, such as biscuits on the tea/coffee tray. Woken up by maid service on our last day at 8:15 and not due to check out until 11 am.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Radisson Vanderbilt Hotel.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and I do hope on your next visit you will enjoy an Afternoon tea in the Bar – it has to be one of the best in London and a great deal at £14.50 per person!!
If I can be of any assistance with regards to future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel.
Marrakech
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We arrived in a great country and we were very excited. This hotel ruined our excitement. The rooms were small and there was no place to walk in the room. Apart from that all great. Other hotels in London usualy have big rooms.

• Stayed December 2010
Dear Guest,
I am sorry that you found the rooms to be a little on the small size and I would be grateful if you would contact me via the hotel prior to your next visit so I may personally oversee the details of your reservation and ensure that you receive one of our best rooms!
Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 29, 2011

First of all the staff there were terrific Hotel very comfortable and nice part of town and right next to tube. The rate was very good and would recommend this place over even being in the heart of London. So easy to get to things not so congested there and lovely museums and things to do right in walking distance as well there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding the location and the team at the hotel – we are very lucky to have a wonderful group of employees who are passionate about delivering the best service that they possibly can!! I do hope on your next visit you will try our signature cocktail – the Vanderbilt cocktail. It’s a classic!
If I can be of any assistance with future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel.
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We were meeting our cousin from Australia on her first visit here in the U.K
Our room was very small and the curtains were filthy ,unfinished bathroom decor,stuffy room with no window opening
When visiting our cousins room we were disgusted as she is 64 and was put at the very top of the hotel in a room which size would not have a description of a broom cupboard
We both paid nearly £100 each night definately not worth the value for money we would expect from a 5 star chain and with its past history
On the plus side the staff were pleasant and helpfull and it is in a good location for local museums,some good value pubs& restaurants and serviced by the underground

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank worrall2
Dear Guest,
I was sorry to read that you felt the Radisson Vanderbilt Hotel was not good value for money – because the hotel is wonderfully historic and grade 2 listed our rooms do vary in size and I am sorry that you were allocated a small room. I am sure that if this had been mentioned to any member of the front desk team during your stay they would have endeavoured to find a room that was more suitable.
Thank you for your comments regarding the location and the team at the hotel – they are both the best in London!
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed August 22, 2011

First time visit at this hotel, booked 7 night’s (Sunday to Sunday) trough travel agency, standard single room. Price plan did not include any meals or breakfast.

Arrived Sunday afternoon

** Check in **

Even though that I booked trough the brand website and gave the staff in the reception my gold points card (and informed that I had still not got the new Carlson card as concierge member) some of the needed information was missing so I had to fill in a sign in sheet with needed information.

As a frequent guest at Radisson I usually get upgraded (and breakfast free of charge) without having to ask for it but this time I had to tell the sign in staff regarding the benefits since he informed that breakfast was not included, no problem though, he did an extra check to verify my membership level and after that told me that breakfast would be free of charge and that I was upgraded to a double room.

Good information about the procedure with pre charge of the credit card for the room and also the extra pre charge for being able to put bar and restaurant on room number.

Info about breakfast, free WiFi and “gym”.

** Room **

Got a room on the fourth floor, when I arrived at the room everything looks ok but it’s certainly not been refurbished the last couple of years and the room is small… I’m glad that I didn’t get the standard single room that I had booked… Window facing a highly trafficated road so the view is nothing special.

Small bathroom, one single queen size bed, small work area, flat screen TV etc.

Room is equipped with a small refrigerator (not mini bar), a small water heater for fixing coffee/tee in room etc as well as a small safe, a small wardrobe is also present in the room.

AC is provided; it worked well but was a bit noisy.

** Internet Connection **
As mentioned before WiFi is provided for free, there is also the option to use wired connection but that is an extra charge of 10 £ / 24 hours, I ended up using the wired connection Sunday evening though since I had really big issues with the WiFi, after a phone call to the reception regarding the poor speed on the WiFi I was told that the extra charge for using the wired connection would not be added to my bill.

The extra charge DID get on the bill though but I didn’t argue about it at check out.

** Sound isolation in the room **

Not great, disturbance from the road, also the AC was noisy.

** Breakfast **

Monday morning arriving at breakfast I’m informed about a charge of £ 17,75 for English breakfast, I told the staff that I should have it included but it wasn’t in their lists…after breakfast a quick trip to the reception showed that it indeed was included.

The following days the staff at breakfast had correct info and I did not get charged for breakfast at check out.

Breakfast was good, traditional English breakfast but I would not pay £ 17,75 for it.

** Restaurant **

Did not visit the restaurant except for breakfast.

** Lobby Bar **

I had one meal at the Bar, ok food and service but as usually the case for Hotel bars it’s overpriced, poor selection of beer on tap, also the optional extra service charge already added to your bill annoys me, If I want to pay gratitude (I usually do) I want to select so myself and not have it printed already on the bill.

** Gym / Relax **

A small room with some equipment, unisex changing room and one shower.

** Check Out **

Fast check put, bill was correct in terms of price for hotel room, extra charges for in-room Internet not correct but I did not challenge them.

** Gold points recognition **
I got the breakfast and the room upgrade but not the in room welcome gift.

** Conclusion **

A few bumps in the road but the location is good so I will give it another try, I have already booked the next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade