“Dukes Hotel Review”
Review of Dukes Hotel

Dukes Hotel
Ranked #134 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Fantastic Hotel with excellent facilities and decor. Staff extremely helpful and polite and made us feel right at home. Food was fantastic as was the accessories in the room. Bed was not the best but pillows made up for it as they were awesome, all for a reasonable price, what more can I say.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed every facet of our stunning hotel and its facilities. The staff we delighted to read your wonderful comments.

We all at Dukes London look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Visitors in London can do much worse than booking a room or suite at the Dukes, in St James Place. Tucked in a picturesque hamlet very much like Mary Poppins' neighborhood, this charming luxury hotel offer style and real luxury only a few yards from Piccadilly, the Ritz and the Mall with its gentlemen's clubs. Rooms are extremely elegant, if on the small side.
But the real threat comes from the bar, where Alessandro Palazzi mixes what can be considered the best Martin Cocktail in the world. ( http://www.stefanopasini.it/Martini_Temples.htm ) . Hu uses a special gin and a vermouth that is so special that is not even on sale and olives from Castel Madama. For those enjoying a lemon twist (disappointing of course, but we must make allowances for some body still having fond meories for their childhoods lemonade....) Palazzi uses lemons coming from the Costiera Amalfitana. He mixes these premium ingredients in large classic stem glasses, chats with patrons, entertains, smile, exactly as one expect a great professional to do while creating a superb Martini
The result is formidable, especially when Alessandro uses the 'Regal' vermouth; a classic experience, revisited for the best. I can't wait to be there once again ASAP. Cheers!
Stefano Pasini

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stefanopasini
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We've always loved Dukes but the wifi was installed by Queen Victoria. Worse, their IT is outsourced to a company whose technician said the problem was that we use Macs.

I hope they resolve the issue so we can go back. It's a great hotel, lovely staff and a great location. I highly recommend it if you want to spend some time off-line.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Stephan C
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I also moved from my usual London hotel to stay at Dukes recently, based on the positive reviews on this site. The hotel is in an attractive location and does have a clubby feel to it but it does feel cramped and maybe in need of some investment to keep up with it's 5* rivals nearby. The room I stayed in was small for a junior suite and the decoration is in an older style, also the shower needed fixing before it could be used. The bar 'system' is also a bit odd, first time I've had to hang around a hotel reception for 30 mins waiting to be allocated a space in my own hotel bar...seems there was a constant stream of non-guests arriving and being asked to wait around too. A very popular place it seems but not a great experience for residents (what am I paying for?), and a bit of a surprise.

If you're tired of the big hotel chains then this hotel is a good option - it feels very individual and despite a few oddities mentioned, the service and the staff are great.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank 2013Robert
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your provide your feedback regarding our boutique hotel.

It’s wonderful to hear the team looked after you so well. I was additionally pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location we are very lucky to be so well located in the heart of London.

I was touch disappointed to read you didn’t like our more traditional English rooms but as everyone has different tastes perhaps on your next visit we could ensure that you receive one of our more contemporary look rooms and we have a mix, the American market seem to prefer our traditional English style.. Additionally we as we are almost complete in refurbishing all the hotel rooms, we would be happy to provide you with one of our new gorgeous contemporary look rooms on your next stay. The Hotel and Cocktail bar are very busy and we apologise we could not accommodate you straight away, our residents always get priority in our very popular Bar and Thirty Six Restaurant . DUKES is a special independent 5 star boutique hotel and is a popular choice for residents, diners and bar guests, On your next visit do let reception know on arrival and we will speak to our bar manager for you.

We all at Dukes look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The hotel is nice enough, but feeling worn. As a business traveler, the technology was especially dated. The wifi was incredibly slow, a problem that was exacerbated by the relatively poor cell phone reception. The TVs seemed at least 10 years old. The gym equipment was also dated. Even bathroom fixtures were loose and looked like they had not been updated in some time.

Probably great for leisure, but I probably would not stay here again for business......

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank UlyssesNY

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at DUKES LONDON.

The team and I were disappointed to learn that we did not meet all your expectations entirely. I was especially disturbed to learn that you weren’t pleased with our new LED HD TV’s which we recently placed in every room incorporating the best TV system in London. On your next stay we could provide you with a different style of room, and one of our concierges could give you a full demonstration on the TV system.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dukes London

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is the 3rd time that we have stayed at Dukes and again it was very comfortable and friendly. We stayed in a Luxury room which was at the front of the hotel and was quite spacious for a central London boutique hotel. Although the room was at the front due to the hotel location it was very quiet during the night. We ate in the restaurant and had the tasting menu which was very good value for the quality of the food presented.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms tend to be quite small.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SteyningSteve

Thank you for your kind words. It is fantastic to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us. Our team hear at DUKES LONDON are always so pleased with positive comments and support from our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your new home away from home! On your next visit to LONDON,

Safe Travels.

Dukes London

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I've stayed in a number of the top hotels in London and wanted to try Dukes based on reviews and recommendations.

The hotel is accessed via a little court off of St. James Place and has the atmosphere of a private club. The situation of the hotel makes it very quiet and intimate, even with very easy foot access to all the action.

The staff are first class including Fiona in the spa and particularly Henry, the personal trainer who is truly of world class quality. Worth booking a session. Breakfast and food in the restaurant are good, if nothing extraordinary.

I was a tad disappointed in the room and was offered an alternative which was similar. Maybe the colors, which just aren't my cup of tea - beiges, pale greens and, to me, overall a look and feel that is something my Aunt Millie might have liked in 1950 rather than the chic, contemporary look I somehow expected (like from the website photo of a "luxury room" which I booked). The first room I was offered had a horribly noisy climate control system which wasn't a problem where I stayed. The bed was very firm, but I got used to it. For some reason, warm water kept coming through the cold tap in the bathroom.

It was nice, very pricey (my room ended up being over 500 GPB a night) and I don't diss it but I also think there's better value and that there are significantly better rooms to be had elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mgpaley
Debrah_Dhugga, General Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our beautiful boutique hotel.

It’s lovely to hear the team looked after you so well and their dedication to you, the guest, makes me extremely proud to be part of such a wonderful team. I was additionally pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location as we are very lucky to be so well positioned at the heart of it all yet hidden away from the hustle and bustle.

I was touch disappointed that you didn’t like our more traditional English rooms but as everyone has different tastes perhaps on your next visit we could ensure that you receive one of our more contemporary rooms.

We all at Dukes look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards