“Avoid the "Cigar Garden"”
Review of Dukes Hotel

Dukes Hotel
Ranked #132 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Dukes is one of my favourite hotels in London and I have stayed there on several occasions during the last 10 years. Members of staff are always friendly and helpful and the rooms are charming. No two rooms are exactly the same. The location in St James's is very convenient. Until this most recent visit I have never been disappointed.

This time round we were given a room with a loaction that proved to be very unfortunate. We had noticed a fairly strong tobacco smell in the room early in our stay, but convinced ourself that it would pass. On Sunday evening however the room was filled with a very strong cigar smoke. We asked in the reception and the explanation was that the room is situated above a "Cigar Garden" where patrons are allowed to smoke cigars until 1130 PM.

The only reason that I still rate Dukes highly is that the staff immediately offered us to move to another, better room. Moving rooms is always an inconvenience, but on this occasion far better than the alternative.

That an hotel can have non-smoking rooms that are regularly filled with strong cigar smoke is surprising. I recommend Dukes, but strongly recommend you make sure to ask for and get a room far away from the "Cigar Garden."

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hotel451
CharlotteDugdale, Guest Relations Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Dear hotel451,

We are all so sorry to read this review but we are pleased that our superb staff rectified the problem immediately. All of us had hoped to be able to create a wonderful experience for you and thankfully the rest of your stay was perfect. I have ensured that this request has been recorded for your future stays. We hope to welcome you back to your London home soon.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Dukes Hotel

Reviewed December 20, 2011

First time at the Dukes but I don't think it will be the last. The staff and service were wonderfully understated and there is an air of luxurious relaxation emanating from the place. Regretfully we did not get the chance to sample the dining room or cocktail bar on a flying overnight visit but hope to do so on a return visit. One grimace: the air conditioning was overloud and one had to choose between a noisome din or freezing on one of the coldest nights of the year.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
CharlotteDugdale, Guest Relations Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2011

Dear marksw3960

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I am delighted to hear of your marvellous time with us. I can think of little better than a sumptuous dinner in our award-winning restaurant, Thirty Six, followed by cocktails in our bar and a stay in one of London’s finest bedrooms. I do hope you will be returning to us in the not too distant future. Our team is working hard to ensure everything is as it should be. .

Warmest Regards

Reviewed December 13, 2011

A top notch charmer of a hotel, with excellent service, location, and comfort.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We had a wonderful stay-our room was quit and our bed was very comfortable. You are in a very very british hotel here, quietly understated and always kind, the service was smooth and always polite. Breakfast was good, dinner also was very good save for the one really loud diner at another table, she made us want to run out of the room, can not imagine being stuck at her table (poor companions who were at her mercy, she seemed to be the boss) All in all i would recommend the hotel to all looking for a real british hotel, and don't mind spending a bit of cash

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I have stayed on and off at Dukes in St James's for the past 5 years. the recent renovations have added to the overall experience. I like the rooms as they are well laid out, the decor is modern english and very pleasing. The overall experience reminds me of The Connaught prior to its recent revamp/re launh. The bar remains a must visit for its Martinis. I laughed recently as they will not serve you more than 2 in an evening ! even if the furtherest you have to trvale is upstairs to your very comfortable bed! I have not tried the recently launched restaurant but the menu looks excellant. I will be staying twice over the coming week.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
CharlotteDugdale, Guest Relations Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2011

We were all delighted that you had another great stay at DUKES and hope there are many more to come. Do try our restaurant, Nigel’s food is superb and we have a fantastic Festive menu at the moment! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards,
Charlotte

Reviewed November 16, 2011

I stayed at the Dukes for a second time, 2 weeks ago. I arrived at 11 AM, and they readied my room within 30 mins while I had a stiff cup of coffee in the lounge area. Though the rooms are small for the price, the facilities are nice and the bathrooms and bath products are top notch. When I requested a converter, that was no problem. When I called for room service, it was delivered within 15 mins exactly as I'd ordered. The staff was always curteous and attentive, and the martinis in the bar are definitely an experience--they are high $$, but the olives served as a side dish are to die for! I was so happy, I'm returning with my two daughters in March. You also cannot beat the central but quiet location!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Went for work and staff was pleasant enough for the price you paid but still on the snobbier side of things. I thought it was going to be a hidden gem but the staff definitely spoil the allure of this venue. The rooms are rather small for £300/night and when I returned to my room in the evening there was black dust from the vents all over my bed. Unpleasantly rectified.

Revisited the venue for engagement drinks with friends and the staff almost refused us entry to the lounge, I can only imagine based on our youthful appearance even though we were all in our mid thirties and well dressed. It is the last time I spend £100 on drinks for five people!

Stay at the Savoy.

Service and ambience is top notch and you get what you pay for sans the snotty service!

Room Tip: Room tip - stay at the Savoy, rooms are bigger, cleaner and service is great!
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
7  Thank Sherrypd
CharlotteDugdale, Guest Relations Manager at Dukes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

I was concerned to read your remarks regarding your recent experience of DUKES LONDON. I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you and hence would be most grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience.
Kind regards,