“Superb” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days a couple of weeks ago. Hotel is wonderful. Amazing view from our 14th floor room of Big Ben, London Eye, The Shard . Bathroom was top notch with deluxe fittings. Breakfast was amazing, superb choice of hot and cold buffet with additional items available to order off the menu such as eggs benedict, Classical English breakfast, waffles or pancakes cooked to order with numerous toppings. All public areas including restaurant, lounge, toilets are immaculate and beautifully styled. Have stayed in London four times now and this is the best area to stay by far. This is as central as it gets. 2 mins walk to fabulous streets of designer shops and boutiques then one more minute to high street shops. Hotel is 5 min walk from theatre district and Buckingham palace. Loads of restaurants in immediate vicinity. Don't hesitate to book this, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Roy S, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Thehappyholidayaker,

Thank you for staying at The Cavendish London on your recent 4 day trip to London. We are very pleased that we did not disappoint you in any way and that you felt you made the right choice.
We work hard to keep the hotel in the best possible state and am glad that you like our furnishings, we are still doing some work on the bar which should be completed in a few weeks time. Our breakfast is as we like to think a feast for the eyes with multiple options to choose from.

Thanks for recommending us and we hope to see you back soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Illinois City, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My son (12) and I stayed for four nights in early July. The staff are very professional, and helpful. We booked a superior queen, and I am pretty sure that we wound up with a smaller (standard) sized room. I inquired at the front desk the next morning, and was shown a different room, clearly a much more spacious queen room. I discussed my dis-satisfaction with the hotel manager (Neil). He asked me what he could do to make the situation better, and I asked if he would comp the first night....HE DID. This is above and beyond, in my book, and I will surely be staying at this hotel again, when in London.
The area is great; shops and restaurants are among the best in this area.
Thank you Neil !!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RandySM
Dear Randy SM,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor and for staying with us on your recent visit to London.
We have 5 different room categories and they all differ in size, but also some of the Superior rooms differ in size depending on their location in the building. The corner rooms for example have more space. It is very good to hear that you were happy with the situation Neil provided you and i will pass on the message to him once he is back from his Holiday.
Do keep us in mind for your next trip in London.
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location. For the price, I expected it to be exceptional. It was not exceptional. (For example, our package came with breakfast, but the clerk didn't give me breakfast tickets until I asked about them specifically; they tried to charge us for the free paper; one of the doors to the exterior was locked causing us to walk an extra block in very cold weather.) However, it was very clean and modern. The breakfast was excellent (overlooking Fortnum and Mason), and although you don't get free wifi in the room, we managed to do so by logging in as though we were in the bar. (shhhh, don't tell.) If you can get a good price on a room, I highly suggest the Cavendish.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear LRcranes,

Please accept my apologies for some of the issues you had on your recent stay at The Cavendish London. We do not actually work with breakfast tickets as we will print out reports which will tell our hosts in the morning who's breakfast is included or not. We provide selected news papers for free, however for some others there might be a charge. If you could inform me about which news paper you requested then i can look into the matter for you. my email is roy.sommer@thecavendishlondon.com. We provide free wifi in our public areas for our guests, there is a charge in the bedrooms due to the superior speed in comparison to the recommended speed for a hotel our size.
I am pleased to hear that you really enjoyed breakfast and i look forward hearing back from you in regards to some of your comments.
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My recent 2 night stay at the Cavendish was lovely. The Hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of the West End. Because the weather is so warm I asked for my duvet to be swapped for just a sheet or duvet cover. Within a few minutes a member of the housekeeping staff obligingly provided me with cooler bedding. With the use of very effective air conditioning I was able to sleep very well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Diane C
Dear Diane C,

We are overjoyed that you had such a great stay with us and you were able to do everything in London you wanted to do. We do indeed offer differnt types of bedding on request to ensure that all our guests can have a good night sleep. We leave a poem on each bed which reveals what our guests can request from Housekeeping or Concierge.
Thank you very much for staying with us and hope to see you back soon.
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Its a nice oldschool type hotel, but expensive for what you get at 400 pounds a night! Rooms are nice but small, and they charge you for WIFI in your room believe it or not! Also no onsite gym or outside deck, so it does feel dark ... is an epic location though, and staff are friendly which is important!

Only thing I would recommend to management (besides not fleecing more money with the WIFI!) is to change the way they clear up breakfast at 10:30 when it ends ... at 10:28 a mass shutdown occurred where staff rushed in and whipped everything away and cleaned tables, a guy sitting next to me commented on how he felt he was being thrown out! I know they need to prep for lunch, so rather then end breakfast at 10:00 and give people 15 minutes to finish their coffee in a relaxed manner!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Shaun3535

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at The Cavendish London. We always appreciate all types of feedback and rest assured i will speak to the breakfast team about your comments. We serve breakfast till 10.30 during the week and the rules are that we allow people in till 10.30am and then give them an additional 10-15 minutes to help themselves to the buffet. I can imagine that you did not feel comfortable for which i must apologize.
In regards to the wifi, we do offer complimentary wifi in the public areas, you can ask any staff member for the acces code. In the rooms there is a charge and that is due to the superior speed we provide in comparison to other hotels. I hope your visit was not affected by the points you mentioned too much and if you wish to discuss this further then please contact me on roy.sommer@thecavendishlondon.com.
All the best,
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed at The Cavendish London for business and it was a very pleasant experience. Starting from being welcomed by the porter and then the check-in by Angela, who honored my request for a room on a high floor. I was given a room on the 10th floor with excellent views over London and complementary wifi. What a great start! I ordered room service and the food and wine were excellent and very tasteful.
One minor thing was that the room service waiter forgot the cutlery so I had to call for that after receiving the food, but he very quickly came up to the room to bring it.
The room is nicely decorated, comfortable, well equipped, including coffee/tea-making facilities, perhaps a bit small, but then I stayed in a classic room.
The breakfast was good, but I found the choices a bit limited. For example no fresh tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and the choice of cold cuts was limited. A plus was that they serve fresh orange juice.
All in all a very pleasant stay, and I would certainly come back to the Cavendish if business brings me back to this part of London.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms, e.g. floor 10, give great views over London.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ivo-Knottnerus,

Your review is very much appreciated and i am glad that you stayed with us on your recent trip to London.
Angela has been with us now for a few good months and she has proven to be a great addition to the team, her natural friendliness is a great asset. Apologies for the error in forgetting your cutlery for roomservice. Should you stay with us next time then feel free to ask for tomato, cucumber and olives from any of the waiters who would be more than happy to get it for you.
All in all it seems you had a very good stay and we look forward seeing you again should you be back in London.
Union, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I did a lot of research before booking with The Cavendish London, and we counln't have made a better choice!!! The hotel is super clean and classy and the staff was very friendly and helpful! The location was perfect! The bus tours begin about 3 blocks away right in front of The Green Park! There are so many choices of shops, restaurants and cafe's just 1 block up on Piccadilly! I thought our room was a very good size, tastefully decorated with a modern bathroom. Most comfortable bed ever! Worth the money!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. We were up on the 8th floor with a great view of the city and the London...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria M
Dear Maria M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Cavendish London during your recent visit and especially that after all your research we still managed to exceed your expectations.
Our location could hardly be any better and as you stated the Bus tours start from Green Park which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and is also the nearest Tube station together with Piccadilly circus. Our beds are indeed very comfortable and should you wish to have more information about them then feel free to contact me on roy,sommer@thecavendishlondon.com
All the best