“Wonderful hotel and location.”

The Cavendish London
Ranked #108 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful hotel and location.”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I read many other reviews of this hotel before booking, I consider myself a bit of an elitist when staying at hotels. Frankly, I found the staff, the hotel and the location all excellent. I can't think of one thing to complain about. We loved our view from the 10th floor. Overlooking Parliament, the eye, St Paul's was magnificent. Our room was very large especially by London standards, very modern and well maintained. It appears this hotel has had a recent renovation. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors. The views are spectacular.
1 Thank Lori A
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Lori A,

Thank you very much for your great review and I hope that you had a great trip to London. We are very lucky to have the excellent team that we do. We have continually invested in the bedrooms over the past 2 years and now we are refurbing the whole lobby area.

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Neil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (937)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great stay in a great position just behind Piaccadilly circus.
For one night I had all what I needed and felt in a top level Hotel.
Very confortable room with all ameties and a great bed and also a nice view from my room.
Next day breakfast in room was very fresh and tasting and together with the free newspaper it was a great start of the day,
I truly recommended and I'll be back

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear GgOne_13,

Thank you very much for your great review and I am delighted that you had such a good stay. I know Nitin our Head Chef will be very happy with your comments about breakfast.

Your recommendation is really appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 20, 2013

There are only two buts about the Cavendish. On the no-buts side its location is fab, the staff couldn't be more friendly (based on only a one night stay), the view at night across London from our 10th floor room was gorgeous and all in all it was lovely. BUT No. 1 - the foyer or lobby area is pretty grim, not very inviting and could do with a redecoration - not that's it's shabby, just not very attractive. But No. 2 is part of my continuing campaign against silly hotel charges (see Cyprus and Istanbul). Why would I spend £15 a day on wi-fi, which is what the hotel charges? Every local cafe (even McDonalds) offers free wi-fi - so by not offering me wi-fi - an absolute business essential - you are driving me away from having a morning coffee etc in the hotel? I don't expect to be charged for water or electricity when booking a hotel room, so why wi-fi? A small BTW - our mini- bar was empty, not that I minded, but if you'd like an evening drink before heading out - the hotel guide very kindly points out that there's a Tesco around the corner - at much, much cheaper prices than the hotel (they don't mention that part!)

Room Tip: Great views from 10th floor rooms.
Dear Ireland1956,

Thank you very much for your great comments and I am delighted that you felt the staff were so friendly as we are really lucky to have such a great team. I agree with you about the lobby are and we are actually in the process at the moment. The wallpaper has just been completed and we are waiting for the new carpet and furniture to arrive.

We have recently removed the mini bars from the rooms for exactly the reason you mention, many of our guests like to purchase drinks and snacks at the Tesco around the corner which is a lot cheaper but previously have had no where to store them so this way they have a fridge in the room now. Through room service we do not charge a tray charge at all so if guests would like a drink in the room they are welcome to order it through room service with not additional tray charge.

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We booked 2 rooms for our family to take a break in London and whilst we had no complaints as such and it was generally good (hence the 4 star rating), we felt that the hotel didn't meet our expectations in a few ways.

We researched for the best hotel in the right location for us and The Cavendish seemed perfect. It is indeed in a good spot, right opposite Fortnum and Mason's, just yards away from great shopping and in the heart of the West End for the theatres. It's very expensive for what it is. We usually book 5 star hotels as we don't mind paying for quality and service. Our two teenage children hadn't visited London before, so as first time visitors, we heard about the rooms on the upper floors with great views of the city from previous TA reviews, so emailed the manager to ask if we could possibly have rooms on that floor - which he promptly replied to saying he would endeavour to organise. We arrived late evening and were promptly placed in rooms on a lower floor with no views at all. We spoke to the staff on reception and referred to our email from the manager and he found us 1 room only on an upper floor, which had a view of rooftops but not of any points of interest, so that was quite disappointing.

The rooms were very clean and comfortable and beautifully furnished.

The hotel reception was being decorated during our stay, with walls stripped and no artwork or anything else and decorators milling about, so it wasn't pleasant to arrive to, but I suppose it has to be done at sometime. The hotel bar was drab and uninspiring and felt like it was just a waiting area. Twice we sat there and ordered drinks but couldn't wait to leave each time. We had expected a London hotel of this standard to have a bar that was welcoming and reasonably lively in one way or another but this was just an excuse to fill a corner of the reception area. There wasn't even any background music, which I'm sure would have helped!

We didn't dine in the hotel on the evenings as had dinner booked at other restaurants but had breakfast each day which was brilliant. The restaurant was lovely with a nice atmosphere in the morning and the food really good.

We wouldn't return to the Cavendish as I hope next time we will find a hotel that is more welcoming and less impersonal. Not sure if this exists in London, as it's not a friendly place at the best of times, but we'll keep trying!

Room Tip: Well I would say ask for a room on the highest floor you can, for the views, but we did and didn'...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Taylor M,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you liked the rooms and the way they were decorated and I know Nitin our Head Chef will be very happy with your comments about breakfast. I am sorry that we were not able to allocate rooms on a high floor for you, unfortunately we are not always able to offer all of our guest rooms with a view, but we do try and honour every guests request.

I do agree with you that the Bar needs some work and we are actually in the process of doing that. We started with the lobby as you mentioned and have already ordered new furniture, lighting and carpets for the Bar are to try and give it a bit more atmosphere.

I am sorry to hear that you felt the hotel was not that personal as that is usually our biggest strength and I hope that you will give us the chance the next time you come to London to prove this to you as I can assure that it does exist in many London hotels.

Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We enjoyed a long weekend at the Cavendish and chose it because it is very near theatre-land, and also close to all the west end sights. It's location in Mayfair means that it is quiet and safe for the walk back from an evening out. Reception gave us a warm welcome, our bags had been taken from us as we alighted the taxi, and taken to our room. Our room was 1211, giving us an excellent view of London, from the BT Tower, through St Pauls, the Eye, and Big Ben. There are 2 Executive Double rooms per floor and they give extra floor space and give the best views, ask for an upper floor. The shower and bath tub are very good. Breakfasts are very well done, take the buffet or have the chef cook one of the dishes on the menu. The bar is cosy and busy enough to be fun without being noisy, the service in the bar is great. If you fancy a pint of beer in a pub, there's a small one next door "The Chequers Tavern" which serves great beer and wine and hot food.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, and an executive room.
Dear hillcrestroad,

Thank you for your excellent review. I hope that you had a great time in London and enjoyed the shows that you went to see. I am delighted that you had such a good stay with us and that you were given such a warm welcome on your arrival. Thank you for your great comments about the bar service and I know Gabor our Bar Supervisor will be delighted to hear your comments.

We hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Cavendish was a great experience. Very friendly staff and knowledgeable concierge. The room was quite good for a city hotel, as well, with a comfortable bed and a good view from the high floors. The immediate neighborhood is mostly full of high-end men’s clothing stores and does not have a lot of restaurant options. But Soho and busier areas of the West End are an easy walk.

Dear CoachZ,

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I hope that you had a good trip to London. Richard our head Concierge will be very happy with your comments and the team are excellent and definitely the people to know in London. As you mentioned Jermyn Street is perfect for men's shopping but Oxford Street and Regent Street and indeed Soho is only a 5 minute walk away.

We hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel's best asset is it's staff. The initial booking was seamless due to prompt replies from reservation department. The very helpful concierge engages us with airport transfer, including via email immediately after booking. Airport pickup by hotel car made the transfer hassle-free. The reception staff (especially Janet) treated us on arrival like family / old friends , and bent over backwards to make us feel comfortable after a long flight from Australia. Every morning of our stay started positively with very high quality breakfast at the restaurant with good Buffet selection, not the least due to the most courteous and helpful hotel restaurant I've ever come across. The concierge was very knowledgeable, efficient and well connected. Everyday (self initiated tour of London) was planned well with the concierge's assistance. The concierge was even able to get us 4 adjacent seat tickets to a very popular musical within 2 days, despite my owned failed attempts to get similar tickets 3 weeks prior via Internet and via direct phone to the theatre booking desk. The rest about the hotel is pretty self-evident. I can't ask for a better location at/near Piccadilly, close to everything eg theatres, Chinatown, shopping at Oxford and Regent and Bond Streets nearby, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus. Good view of the city and the London Eye from our room. Definitely coming back.

• Stayed April 2013
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear RatatouilleKFP,

Thank you very much for your great comments. I couldn't agree with you more, we are very lucky to have the team that we do and they do a great job ensuring that all of our guests have a memorable experience. Janet will be delighted to see your comments and I will ensure that she gets recognised for her outstanding service. If you remember the Concierge that was so helpful it would be great to know so that I will also be able to ensure that they get personally recognised for taking such good care of you. My direct email address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.