“What a wonderful stay!”

The Cavendish London
Ranked #122 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had 5 nights at the Cavendish last week with my son aged 21. What a wonderful time we had. The room was so lovely, we had an Executive Twin on the 7th floor. The beds were so large and comfortable, the bath so deep and the shower one of the best I have ever had. Breakfast was so fresh and tasty and the waiters courteous and smiling at all times. We had one meal in the Lounge area. I had steak and it was mouthwatering. We treated ourselves to a few cocktails, but the Gin and Tonics were the best I have ever had. We extended our stay by one night as we just didn't want to leave and this was dealt with efficiently and immediately with no need to change rooms.

On check out there was an anomaly on the bill, but this was dealt with, without fuss and embarrassment. We left our luggage at the hotel so that we could enjoy our last day to the full. We arrived back after a show, we were attended to without delay. We were asked if we needed a taxi (which we did) and without any second thought the chap on duty walked outside to call one for us.

There was a slight blip the first night in that there was a fire alarm so at around 3am in the morning we all had to troop outside. But it did add to the experience and it was managed in such a professional 'no fuss way'. The offer of a cup of tea on return would have been welcome, but I guess at 3am it would be difficult.

The position of the hotel is ideal. We walked everywhere and we were so close to the West End Shows - we saw 4!

I could go on, but I think you get the idea - it was perfect, and we keep doing the 'this time last week we were.....'. I have stayed there before, but our extended stay allowed us to really relax and really enjoy the Cavendish. I am hoping to go back at New Year with my husband and other son. I couldn't stay anywhere else now. You made the time I had with my son, prior to his return to Cambridge Uni to prepare for his finals, unforgettable in the most positive way.

Well done and since thanks to all at the Cavendish.

p.s. I am REALLY fussy about where I stay and where I eat.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor facing the London Eye.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
NeilDBraude, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear MsHampshire,

Thank you very much for your great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your whole experience at the hotel that you even extended and that you had such a good time in London. Our staff are our key asset and it is great that you felt that the whole team was so courteous.

On behalf of the whole team I would like to wish your son good luck for his finals and we look forward to welcoming you back in the new year.

There are newer reviews for The Cavendish London

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just returned home after a lovely weekend at The Cavendish. Location was just perfect for us. All our needs within easy walking distance- The Royal Academy of Arts to see Manet, theatre visit to see The Audience. Restaurant excellent. Lovely view of The London Eye despite the weather. Room small but very comfortable with everything we needed. Staff most professional and helpful.
No moans at all !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jennifer C,

Thank you very much for your great review and your comments about our location as we are in walking distance to most London attractions. I am delighted that you had such a good stay and that you thought the restaurant was excellent.

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights at the Cavendish while on business at Bafta - so proximity was important.

It is a great location and the room was clean and a good size.

Complaints however are wide.
1, On arrival I found the mini bar was empty - not a bottle of water or a snickers bar in sight - I called and asked if it was a mistake and was told it was a management decision. Well, if you are not going to fill it - get rid of it!

2. The room was very cold - and it took several hours to warm up so I struggled to get to sleep each night.

3. The charge for internet was £15 per day - just a rip off when you are paying £300+ for a room - it costs them nothing.

4. There was a fire alarm at 3am on the first night and we left the building without a member of staff in sight and they told us very little indeed. We returned some 45 mins later, frozen and noone explained anything. Poor customer service.

5. I asked to extend my stay by 1 night as I had to work an extra day and was told by a cold faced receptionist that they were full. No apology or let me call you if someone cancels - we are full - end of.

So - functional, bland, does what it says on the tin but would not recommend it - sorry. Just lacked comforts, charm and warmth!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kittysax

Dear Kittysax,

Thank you very much for your review and your feedback. I apologise for the inconvenience caused by the mini bar not being there but the reason that we have removed them is that we believe that our guest feedback is very important and more and more we have been seeing our guests requesting fridges in the rooms rather than a mini bar, so we have made the decision to take out the mini bar and turn them into fridges so that our guests can store their own products in the fridge. We do not charge any tray charge for room service so guests are welcome to call room service for anything they require at no additional charge. your feedback is appreciated as it is something that we could communicate better to our guests.

I am sorry to hear that your room was cold, would you be able to let me know your room number so that i can get our maintenance team to have a look at it and ensure everything is working as it should be. My direct email address is neil.braude@thecavendishlondon.com.

Thank you for your comments on the fire evacuation and we are always working on ways to improve our guest service and I will take this on board and look at ways that we can improve.

I am sorry that you felt that the hotel was functional as we work hard to ensure that, that is not our style and our team are always very personable and willing to help and I hope that you will give us another chance to show you our true service levels.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here to go to the theatre. Literally a 3 min walk to piccadilly circus tube...3 stops away from London Waterloo and everything on the doorstep.
We walked for 20 mins into Covent Garden........lovely walk through leicester square and other lovely attractions. This hotel is perfectly located, right opposite Fortnum and Mason. 2 min walk to regent street.
Hotel is a very good 4*.........rooms were perfectly clean and very, very comfortable.
Restaurant is lovely too, we had the 3 course pre theatre meal which was amazing value and perfectly cooked.
Only thing I would say is that the service is not the fastest, so if you need to be at the show for 7.30, i would eat at 5. We booked for 5.30 and didnt get out till 7, though the food was worth it.
Staff are brilliant and will go the extra mile for you, plan a map, talk you through where to visit, hail you a cab.......service really is second to none.
I would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor, room was lovely, no negatives at all
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear donna n dale s,

Thank you for your amazing review and great comments about the team. We are very lucky to have the excellent people that we do, and know that they make all the difference to our guests stay. Thank you for your comments about the restaurant, and the team will be working hard to ensure that we get better and faster during our pre theatre service. I know that Nitin our Head Chef and his team will be delighted about your comments on the food.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Spent a weekend in London after winning a stay at The Cavendish. I has a suite on the penthouse floor which was a lovely treat! The lift only went up to the next floor down which isn't ideal for those with access issues but made the floor feel even more exclusive. There were stunning views over the city from both the suite and the window in the corridor. The suite itself was amazing. I think my favourite thing about it was the bathroom, with his n hers sinks and and a full sized bathtub and separate shower. I treated myself to a bubble bath with champagne and strawberries to really feel like I was living a VIP lifestyle! Absolutely loved this hotel and hope one day to be able to afford to go back to one of their suites!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Dear ohkirstiejones,

Thank you very much for your great review and congratulations on winning your stay. I am delighted that you had such good time during your stay and that you liked the exclusive feeling of our suite floor and that you were able to pamper yourself. We often have promotions on our TripAdvisor page so hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the near future and ensure that you are pampered again.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Oh My God how is beautiful this hotel
the location is perfect, this hotel is situated between picaddily circus and green parc , on a walk distance from buckingham Palace.. You can find regent street just around the cornet and appreciate the legendary Fortnum ans Mason just in Front of the hotel.
The rooms are very cosy and chic. The standard rooms have an appropriate volume with Good furniture with nice colours and a confortable bathroom.
the superior room is much bigger with a bigger volume, and very nice bathroom.
during my stay at the cavendich i had the opportunity to stay on the penthhouse on the upper floor. it was an exeptional experience , with an awsome view of all londoon with very confortable and luxury lounge and furniture.
the staff is very friendly and very helpful is was really an amazing stay
perfect balance quality price

bonjour
c'est un hôtel magnifique, bien placé entre picaddily et green park et à deux pas du palais royal. les chambres sont cosy et très chic. Ce qui est très impressionnant est la gentillesse du personnel et leurs discrétions. ils font tout pour que vous vous sentir chez vous.
je conseille les chambres des étages supérieurs pour avoir un maximum de silence avec une belle vue.
un rapport qualité prix excellent

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Roy S, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Mohamed 75016,

How wonderfull that you have left a review in two languages.
Reading your review made it a great start of the day, as you mentioned we are close to many locations which people visiting London might want to see.
Our rooms are well equipped and if you managed to stay in our penthouse ensures you the best views over london.

Thank you for your review and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at The Cavendish Hotel with 3 girlfriends in March for one night and was amazed at the quality of service, cleanliness and professionalism we encountered.
We asked to be booked in for afternoon tea and, even though they were fully booked (hardly surprising when it was only £18.00 per person!), they managed to fit us in and what a treat it was!
Everything, from the immaculate bedrooms, bathrooms and dining room to the helpful and friendly staff was 5 star even thought the hotel is rated 4 star!
What a treat to have many sachets of teas, coffees ,hot chocolate available as well as fresh milk which was delivered within minutes of the request. So often there are just 4 sachets left in a room which is beyond mean when you know the cost of the room.
The bedding was incredibly luxurious and comfortable and difficult to get out of, but we managed it to have a delicious breakfast the following morning.
Considering how busy the restaurant was at 9.30am, the staff were incredibly well trained (by Asaan, the manager that morning) and the food was delicious and plentiful.
Without having to ask for anything, our waitress refilled the butter dish and the home made marmalade was so delicious I bought a jar!
This hotel really should be visited by many 5 star hotels to see how it should be done.
As a guest, we felt thoroughly spoilt by all staff members, from the Consierge to the housekeeper and receptionist. They were all very friendly and yet professional - the management must be praised for this training, especially as we are so quick to complain in this day and age.
Well done The Cavendish Hotel!!!

Room Tip: A high room obviously gets a view of London rooftops!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank NobbyWorcestershire

Dear Nobby Worchestershire,

Thank you very much for posting about your experience on Tripadvisor,
We are all glad that you enjoyed a girls weekend away and were well looked after.
It seems that you and your friends enjoyed every aspect of The Cavendish and we believe that our product is as good as you will find in London.
We do indeed offer a wide variety of Tea's in our rooms to ensure that you have the choice you like. We spend a lot of time training our staff to ensure they can be as good as they can be and i am pleased that reflects in the experience you had.

We look forward in seeing you back again soon