“Perfectly Situated, Clean, and Comfortable”

The Cavendish London
Ranked #122 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was completely thrilled with this hotel! As a woman traveling to London for the first time by myself, I was very comfortable hopping on tube from Heathrow, getting off at Piccadilly and easily finding this hotel on my own! It's in a super safe and lovely area that is a short walk to EVERYWHERE!!! I arrived 4 hours before check in so the staff stored everything for me. I was quickly standing in front of Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Westminster Abby...all to come back to dinner in the restaurant.

First, the hotel. It's a small boutique hotel and the staff was perfectly lovely and very accommodating - something that was very much appreciated since I was alone! My room was small by American standards but it contained everything I needed - including an incredibly comfy bed, an ipod docking station, free room service for breakfast, and a well stocked mini bar. The bathroom was super clean. There were several nights when I came back and grabbed a quick dinner at the bar downstairs - the staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful in suggestions/planning on my next day's adventure!

The location? Amazing. A block from Piccadilly, a ten minute walk to Trafalgar Square, 15 - 20 mins. from Buckingham Palace or Big Ben. In the evening, I felt perfectly safe and comfortable walking up to Piccadilly Circus, up Regent street, over to Mayfair...alone. Restaurants, pubs, shopping - even a WholeFoods are all within a short walk. With Fortnum and Mason across the street I was in heaven! My day trip to Hampton Court involved a fairly short walk to the south bank and jumping on a train station - all explained to me by the very helpful concierge and a map. On day three I discovered that if I took a left out of the hotel, my street was lined with art galleries and dealers - Christies was just down the road. Shopping for my husband and three boys on Jermyn Street was fantastic!

When I left on a side trip to Paris, the staff was kind enough to store a heavy bag that I would not be needing until my return.

I look forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a view but, since I booked this hotel on an internet special, I would have h...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Roy S, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Julia48301,

What a great review!! Thank you very much for all your praise and I am happy that we have been able to ensure that your stay was safe and sound.
Our location leans itself well for visiting the sights of london and for shopping of course.
As you mentioned we are within walking distance all the best London has to offer and tucked away just behind Fortnum and Mason.

Your comments about our staff are much appreciated and i will ensure that a copy of your review get put up in our staff canteen for all to read.
We hope to see you back soon and maybe bring your husband and kids along.
All the best

Write a ReviewReviews (4,165)

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Me and my fiancé stayed here for a night, the room was beautiful, bed so comfortable, hotel staff were very helpful, thanks to the concierge for all the information supplied. The location was brilliant, so close to everything and for the price. Well I cannot complain, thank you for an amazing stay.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Liambloy,

Thank you very much for your kind review of your recent stay at The Cavendish London.
We find it very pleasing to hear that we have been able to exceed yoru expectations and made your stay as you say " Just Brilliant".
All the team works hard to ensure our guests are looked after in the best possible way. I will ensure that Concierge get a copy of your feedback.
Hopefully we can welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a long weekend, first impresion was that the location was excellent. However when we went to check in we were told that they needed our credit card for preauthorisation, when i queried this i was then informed that we were going to be charged 174 euro, which would be returned the day after we left. I have stayed in many hotels where they do similar to the above but they didnt physically take your money after paying for the room upfront.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Glenbower1,

Thank you for taking the time out to post a review on tripadvisor and I am glad that you enjoyed our location.
Please accept my apologies if the procedure of taking pre authorisation was not explained to you correctly. It is our policy to always take a pre authorisation of our guests CC card to cover any additional costs they might have by using our F&B outlets. Your card will not actually be charged unless you have additional spend. Upon check out the pre authorisation gets released.
We do hope that besides this you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Afternoon Tea at the Cavendish was a disappointing experience for us especially due to the fact that we had heard lots of positive comment from others about it. After being seated, we requested that we be moved to a nicer table, but were told that that table had been reserved. It became apparent that this was in fact not the case as throughout the course of our sitting two different couples, both of whom did not have bookings, were seated at this table. We suspect that it must be reserved for those not having afternoon tea and is used to entice customers into the area. The decor of the venue was surprisingly drab and lacking any sort of atmosphere or ambiance and there was no background music playing (as described on the hotel web page). I was very surprised at the crockery used as I did not think that it was fitting for the occasion or the price paid and looked akin to something purchased at IKEA. The setting and the furnishings were also pretty plain and sad looking and the artwork on the walls gave the room a depressed feeling. The quality of the tea and food was satisfactory, but not reflective of the price paid, the sandwiches were not freshly made to order (as it was obvious they were pre-made and had been stored in the fridge plus the bread was starting to get dry around the edges). The scones were quite nice and the highlight was probably the small chocolates served on the bottom tear with the cakes and slices. The service from the staff was very poor as nobody came back over to us to ask if we wanted our teas refreshed and we had to actually call them over on two separate occasions to serve us! (on account that the teapot only holds just over one cup of tea, so I hope you like your first couple of cups nice and strong). For an Afternoon Tea experience in London I would rate this one quite lowly, there are many other hotels and venues are more pleasant and offer better value for money, which is a shame considering the superb location of The Cavendish in St James's square.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amyskye
Roy S, Manager at The Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Amyskye,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent Afternoon Tea experience and please accept my apologies if we did not meet your expectations on this occassion.
Could you be so kind to provide me with the day and time you had your experience with us so i can properly follow up with the people involved. My email address is roy.sommer@thecavendishlondon.com
Please be advised that all our sandwiches are made to order and that is should not happen that the edges start to dry out on the edges and i will pick this up with the chef.
As we would like our guests to have a good pot of tea without it going cold we use 2 cup tea pots which can be refreshed at any time to ensure that you have fresh tea whenever you like during your tea experience. Again apologies if you had to call over staff. Once you have send me the details of your visit i will follow up properly and get back to you with a detailed actionplan.
I do hope you are willing to give us another chance as you mentioned many before you have had a wondefull experience and I am confident we can offer you the same

Reviewed February 18, 2013

From the moment we arrived, I knew it was going to be a wonderful experience. We arrived at 7:05 in the morning and in no way thought we would get our room. When she said I have a room on the 3rd floor I was overwhelmed with joy. The overnight flight in economy was a killer. Room was small but should be expected in London. Room was new and extremely clean. Service in the hotel was always top notch. Would recommend. Hotel is a short walk to Soho and Oxford St.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear AlanLongBeach,

That is what we want to achieve, to give you that feeling that you are in safe hands from the moment you walk through the door.
Were possible we try to give our guests their room early however this depends if the roomtype you booked is available and clean. We can imagine that after such a long journey you wouldnt mind having a nap to recharge the batteries. That you for acknowledging our service levels and that you found our location suitable for your needs.
We hope you keep us in mind for your next visit to London

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I have been staying at the Cavendish Hotel for over 20 years. For us, the location is perfect...close to great bookstores, museums, restaurants and the West End. We have always found the front desk personnel, and indeed every staff member, to be helpful, friendly and efficient. Housekeeping is excellent. Breakfast is primarily a grand buffet with a wide variety of hot and cold options including great fruit choices, but special items can be ordered from the menu.

The basic rooms are quite small, so if planning to stay for any length of time, it is well worth it to upgrade to a superior room. Beds are extremely comfortable and the rooms are quiet. My only issue with this otherwise great hotel is that they charge for WiFi access. In this day and age, it is rather like charging for indoor plumbing. Otherwise, a totally magnificent operation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Linda H,

Thank you for your wonderfull support over the last 20 years and i believe it is a great testament to the team for ensuring that you are well looked after each time you stay with us.
We do provide free WIFI in our public areas for you to use, however in our bedrooms we do still charge as our speed is far superior that the recommended speed for a hotel of our size(100mb/s). I am pleased that you found all our staff to be helpfull, efficient and efficient, and i will ensure that your comments will be passed to all teams involved.
We hope to see you back for many more years to come

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying Valentine's Day night and, as it was our Wedding Anniversary, we were thrilled to find a bottle of champagne in our Superior room, and the bed decorated with rose petals and towels arranged as 2 swans forming a heart !! Classy ! The room and bathroom were large, well equipped and very clean - congrats to housekeeping. The beds and bedding have to be the comfiest in the UK. Oh and there are fantastic views from the 12th floor by night and day.
We agree the bar needs an update (imminent I'm told), but the Lounge area has a great ambience and four of us had drinks and food served by Andrew who was a delight - poor lad fell apart when my wife jokingly asked if the burgers had any horse in them !!
We had to rush to see a show and the young concierge got us a taxi at the speed of light (it was just driving past but he had a good whistle). Indeed all the staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. It is hard to find fault with this classy hotel, the location, staff and accommodation are all so good; I believe free wi-fi in the rooms would be much welcomed!
We didn't have time to sample the Petrichor's dinner (although we had a lovely meal there a few months ago), but we did enjoy their superb breakfast buffet - fresh fruit juices and lots of fresh fruit before eggs benedict !! We shall be back !!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear David R,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We try our best to make anniversaries that little bit extra special and especially as it was Valentine's day we wanted to ensure that we could combine the 2 in 1.
I am sure that the housekeeping department will be more than happy with your comments about the cleanliness of the room and the comfort of the beds. should you wish to find out where we purchased them then feel free to contact me direct.
We are indeed going to refurbish our lobby bar soon and we will soon be revealing more information about that.
Thanks again for your review and we do hope to see you back soon.