“Lacks in Service, Tries to Gloss with Shine”

The Park Tower Knightsbridge, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London
Ranked #203 of 1,088 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Lacks in Service, Tries to Gloss with Shine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

To quote the way I described this hotel to a friend, it's like a "made over Holiday Inn." The hotel itself appears fancy and it is in the very posh Knightsbridge / Belgravia neighborhoods, but it lacks in service what it glosses over with shine.

I try to be very fair with hotels as I do travel quite a bit for both business and pleasure. Considering what I paid for this hotel I am very disappointed with the service I received. And especially considering I received this service as a SPG Platinum member, I can't imagine what the service was like for regular, non-elite members of the hotel group.

First, the room was not ready upon check-in time. Now, this happens at many hotels and SPG has a horrible policy where Platinum members can check out as late a 4 p.m. but that makes it so that anyone -- even incoming Platinum members can't get to their rooms until well into the evening. I had cashed in suite night awards for this room, and the girl I spoke with at the desk said that my room would be ready in an hour. After an hour I checked back and was told that the "trainee" gave me wrong information and it would indeed be two MORE hours to check in, which would've put me well past my dinner reservation. They gave me a nice enough room instead, but did not refund my suite night awards. It was such a hassle to get any room at that point, I just wanted a place to sleep.

The room was beautiful with a panoramic view of Hyde Park and the Mandarin hotel across the street. Nice amenities in the room and it was small but comfortable. The housekeeping service was also quite attentive and turndown service was nice, however when I left the privacy sign on my door they would knock anyway and disrupt sleep or naps.

The concierge service was quite mixed, with ranges from great to horrid. Prior to my stay I liaised with Lloyd who helped me secure information for tours and also booked my car service. He was wonderful. Every other time I stopped at the concierge desk I was treated as if I was a bother, often feeling as if I needed to apologize for interrupting the chatter. I was met with resistance when trying to post gifts home and am still uncertain and had to call back to find out if it actually went out as they never sent the post receipt up. Other times when I asked for show help I was given a brochure and told to check the web sites for available tickets. Finally, the doormen were horribly rude, with the exception of one tall gentlemen, and I was often met with snark beyond what would be considered "dry humor."

Finally, the bar and restaurant. Most of the service staff were nice in the bar but the kitchen seemed to be out of sync. My first night their they comped my food and drink because the order was forgotten. The next morning I went to the One to One restaurant for breakfast (which was not included with my room) and I specified and omelet with specific ingredients, noting I am highly allergic to mushrooms. It took a very long time and then came with mushrooms, at which time the server said "it might be only one" and suggested I eat around it since I was in a hurry. I re-explained that I was allergic, and he finally took it back and comped the coffee I'd had, but I never was able to have breakfast that morning. They offered to remake it but the first wrong one took so long there wasn't enough time.

There is also no cash machine in the hotel, which is not ideal at all.

I won't stay at this hotel again, though I have more London travel planned for 2014. If you want to feel like a princess but treated like a peasant, this is a fit. If you want a hotel with first class service, I suggest staying at a true first class hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mediaphyter
SueFinlay, General Manager at The Park Tower Knightsbridge, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Mediaphyter,

Firstly, I would like to thank you very much for your comprehensive review of the Park Tower Knightsbridge.

I was however very disappointed that your experience with us did not meet the exceptional expectations we strive to achieve, for this I would like to apologise. Your detailed review gives our team very precise feedback on areas where improvements can be made and I would like to thank you for sharing this valuable feedback.

I would like to invite you to contact me directly when your travels next bring you to London, as I would like the opportunity to ensure we deliver you an exceptional stay. (sue.finlay@luxurycollection.com)

Sue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bollington - England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

I chose this hotel because Bentley Motors were using it to invite people to test the new Flying Spur, so assumed they had done a site visit to make sure it was as good as their new car.
3 things that could be perfect with little effort + a bit of staff training☺
Spent ages trying to turn on the TV - then realised was using the DVD remote. DUH ! Only to discover the TV remote had presumably been stolen by previous guest. So got a TV remote and man showed me no batteries in the DVD remote.... so please make sure housekeeping check TV and DVD remote.
One o One - the plates at b'fast buffet are cold, which spoils a perfect English breakfast. I should have asked for a warm/hot plate, if hotel cant arrange a supply of warmed plates. Come on..... it's not rocket science!
Get these small things right and you get 5 stars,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KeithHewitt
Dear KeithHewitt,

Thank you very much for reviewing the Park Tower Knightsbridge and for staying with us on the Bentley Seasonal Shopping promotion.

We strive to deliver exceptional experiences and it was very disappointing to read that we have missed opportunities during your stay to deliver this to you. We will indeed learn from your feedback to ensure these areas are addressed and improved on into the future.

I sincerely hope this disappointment will not deter you from staying with us in the future and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Park Tower on your next visit to London.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Got an SPG suite upgrade to a wonderful, high floor suite overlooking Hyde Park and the city beyond. Check in was very slow, room was not ready (although we did check in early) and even though it was already vacant it took nearly two hours to turn over even though the desk clerk said it would take 1-1.5 hours. Room was spacious with good amenities. Breakfast was crowded and chaotic and they seemed to have too few people to serve and they constantly ran out of dishes and buffet items. Bar service was also slow and not particularly nice either. Everything we had done at the check in (checking our bill, asking a question) always seemed to take longer than it needed to. So while this is a great location and great property, the service leaves a lot to be desired, especially for a "Luxury Collection" SPG property. Certainly still feels like the Sheraton it used to be with regards to service.

Room Tip: High floor with Hyde Park view is ideal, although without having SPG status may cost $$$ to get.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sump6080
SueFinlay, General Manager at The Park Tower Knightsbridge, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear sump6080,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate receiving feedback from our valued SPG guest and we thank you for your loyalty.

We are pleased you were able to enjoy the comfort and luxury of one our suites and the amazing views of London they have to offer. We were however disappointed to learn that elements of our service delivery did not reach our regular high standards, we will indeed use your valuable feedback to review our operations and improve into the future.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you once again to The Park Tower and I invite you to contact me directly if I can be of any personal assistance. (sue.finaly@luxurycollection.com)

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed for three nights for a combined family/business trip with my wife and your infant. Location: perfect! Harrods and Hyde Park literally around the corner. Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parlament, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben just 5 minutes by taxi.
Older building (maybe 1960s?): you realize especially with the thin single-glass windows, which let in a bit of a chill. Room OK, nice view. No coffee powder or tea bags in the room. Bathroom OK, with separate shower and bathtub - something I personally appreciate a lot. Housekeeping has still room for approval: shower head and knobs showed lime. More then half empty shampoos were not replaced. They did vacuum the bedroom very quickly, I guess, since we found breakfast bread crumbs still on the floor when returning in the evening to the room. Also, the windows (which had a lot of marks from our little one's hands) were NEVER cleaned in the four days of our stay.
Upon arrival at 14:15 in the afternoon, there was no room ready, and we needed to wait more than one hour. Then, in the room, TV and AC/heating did not work properly, we needed a service guy to come up and fix both.
Reception, concierge, bell boy staff all professional.
Breakfast buffet large and well assorted.

All-in-all quite OK, but not really something special.

Dear BjoernBS,

Firstly I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor, following your recent stay with us.

Whilst we are pleased you enjoyed several aspects of your visit, it was disappointing to learn that your experience did not meet the exceptional standards we aim to deliver to all our guests. I very much appreciate your constructive feedback that will allow our team to learn from the short comings you experienced and improve into the future.

I trust you will not be deterred from visiting us again in the future and I invite you to contact me directly if I can be of any personal assistance. (sue.finlay@luxurycollection.com)

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Knightsbridge is one of the fancy areas of London, far away from the busy Piccadilly or Leicester Sq, and close to Hyde Park and Harrod's. Very nice place to stay, The hotel has excellent service and very comfortable rooms: the size is great as well as the amenities.

Room Tip: All rooms have the same size, so high floors are the best.
Dear LuizC2013,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for sharing your feedback on The Park Tower Knightsbridge.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take full advantage of our exclusive Knightsbridge location.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just a short stay one night but found the hotel to be very good by London standards good sized well appointed rooms a very relaxing bar/lounge and genial staff.
Perfectly placed alongside Harvey Nicks and five mins from Harrods great for Christmas shopping spree!
Definitely come back to this hotel

Room Tip: Book through booking .com great deals
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dethleffsman,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on The Park Tower Knightsbridge following your recent stay.

We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and we look forward tow welcoming you back when your travels next bring you to London.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is the first hotel I've stayed in in London but I don't really feel it lives up to it's 5 star billing.

The location is good and the room is fairly big and fairly clean. However in a 5 star everything should be perfect but it's far from...

The heating sometimes works, sometimes not. The hot water really isn't hot enough, the radio doesn't work and the towels are hard (to be fair I haven't raised any of these annoyances whilst I've been here). The room service is also exceptionally expensive. The service is generally good but housekeeping like to keep trying to clean your room although I haven't checked out (this has happened twice when I'm trying to work) and the receptionist at the breakfast in the restaurant is quite rude which is always nice to start your day with. I also don't understand why the tables are only laid out with knifes and forks when cereal is part of the buffet offer? You can ask for a spoon, if you can find someone.

Solid hotel but nothing special, I would look for somewhere different.

1 Thank marksdavison
Dear marksdavison,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on the Park Tower Knightsbridge following your recent stay.

I was very disappointed to learn that your stay did not meet our regular high standards and I thank you for sharing the areas of concerns you encountered, which will enable us to target this areas as we continuously strive to provide better service into the future. I do truly hope this experience will not deter you from visiting us in the future and I would be delighted for you to contact me directly when your travels next bring you to London as I would very much like to ensure you of a seamless experience. (sue.finlay@luxurycollection.com)

Thank you once again for sharing your valuable feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.