“low cost, not very nice.”

Griffin House Hotel
Ranked #899 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Copenhagen
“low cost, not very nice.”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

low cost with good location, terrible beds, small , boring rooms.
Service was fair.
Breakfast low quality.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Dundee
Reviewed March 12, 2012

If this is the general standard of English,and more so,London Bed and Breakfast establishments,then,NO THANK YOU. This has to be the worst experience of a Bed and Breakfast Establishment, in my entire 62 years of living on this planet.I can `only speak for myself,and not my wife.As a Major Organ Transplant Recipient,and also a double below knee leg amputee,this is most certainly the last sort of establishment that i should within a mile of.My chances of catching an infection from this lot,was very very high.On arrival,we were asked to pay the remainder of our 2 night payment up front.We were then ushered into a back room,along beside the reception area.The first thing that met us,was an extremely vile,ghastly smell,from a burst main sewer pipe,directly outside our bedroom window.The toilet was no more disabled friendly than fly in the air.There was no room to open 2 suitcases,unless you used the top of the bed.No kettle in the room to make tea or coffee.There was not even 1 seat on view.But of course the room was too small for one, anyhow.Then there was the dangerous,steep, filthy,stairway,down into what they describe as the breakfast room.Quite frankly,our 2 wee staffy doggies eat in a far superior eating area, than what we had here.My wife asked for corn flakes.The young man who served us,must have emptied the entire contents into her bowl.He maybe thought that we were staying away from the premises for a month.She also asked for toast,which surprise, surprise,she is still waiting for,and we have been back home in Dundee now for 5 days.I asked for scrambled egg and toast.It was in front of me within a minute.This must be a world record.But alas,the bread was barely lukewarm,which can hardly be described as toast.The scrambled egg was barely edible.We were planning a 2 night stay,as we had laid down a deposit for it.But,we decided to head back to Bonnie Dundee,Pronto.I demanded a refund for the night we cancelled.After a bit of discussion with the receptionist,who eventually telephoned the owner,i was then handed the refund. What is even more unbelievable,is that Ex-Prime Minister,Tony Blair,lives within a stones throw from this pathetic place,with a 24 hour armed guard !! My advice to anyone planning to book up, in this run down premises,is,LOOK ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ronald M

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I have stayed here twice when travelling to London to go to concerts at Hyde Park.
This hotel is in a perfect location for Hyde Park / Central London. The hotel is cheap and I'm afraid it seems quite run down, needs money spending on it to attract repeat business for people who need it for more than just sleeping in, which is all I needed.
I would not recommend this hotel unless all you need is a great location and not bothered about size of rooms, or pristine cleanliness. On subsequent trips I have now found better hotels not far away in Sussex Gardens which are not much more expensive and definitely better run.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank BillEIsleofMan
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!! It was absolutly filthy and grubby. There are 57 steps in the hotel which is completely useless for a disabled person like myself.When at the top of the narrow stairs to enter my room there was a decorators ladder blocking the passage way! Furthermore the road outside the hotel is extemely busy and hard to get across.The paint in the hotel was peeling and plaster was falling from the ceiling!! The webiste is very misleading as the hotel does not live up to the pictures posted and makes a false claim that the rooms have tea making facilities, which it does not! This hotel should be closed down by the trading standards, as in my eyes and i am sure in a lot of other previous guests eyes this hotel is not fit to be trading or putting up guests! J.A.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank wendi A
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We are small, but we couldn't move anywhere in the room without knocking into something. The bathroom must have the tiniest sink I've ever seen! We had the basement room - fabulous view (see photo)!

Breakfast was until 09:30. 1st morning, we presented ourselves at 09:15. They weren't very happy. No sooner had they given us the breakfast (rather pitiful!) than we were told to hurry up! The 2nd morning, we went early, but we had to wait (they only had 3 tables!). Then, they had the cheek to tell us to hurry up again! When I told them it wasn't our fault that we had to wait, I was told to try to understand them!

On the final morning, a guest obviously couldn't put up with the breakfast any longer, so he asked if he could have 3 cups of tea to bring up to his room. Well, the lady attending to him wasn't very happy, to say the least. The conversation, bordering on argument, lasted about 10 minutes! And the reason? They didn't have enough cups!

Conclusion: Go somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Chiew_Pang
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed August 21, 2011

First of all there shouldn´t be any room in the basement. We had a triple room (no 1). The view from the window was to stairs leading to the street above. The stairs were used by the staff and we couldn´t get the wooden blind down, needed some help with it, and it was all covered with dust. It couldn´t be kept up if you wanted to keep your privacy. During the night there was noise coming probably from the reception and we couldn´t sleep well after about 5 am. The smell coming from the airfreshener in the toilet was awful. It was perhaps trying to keep away the smell of the mould without succeeding to do so. Luckily we got another room from the second floor (no 11). It was a bit better. The toilet basins were too small to be able to wash your face without wetting the whole toilet. The carpets should be cleaned properly and it would be nice if the walls were painted. The stairs are so narrow and steep and I think that to elderly people they are too much to handle. No tea-making facility in rooms as was mentioned in booking.com -pages. Also you´ll have to pay in advance the whole stay.
The positive things are free internet access though it didn´t work always, TV, which didn´t work properly either, clean beddings and warm water in the shower. The room was also very warm (if not too warm) during the night (stayed in April). The window could be opened in our second room which was great after staying in the basement.
The location of course was great!!!
You ought to do something to the breakfastroom also, not very practical and the kitchen didn´t look very hygienic at all. Breakfast was ok. The staff was nice though the lady in the reception didn´t seem to like her job very much.
The hotel is ok for a short visit cos you aren´t really spending your time there but if you are going to stay a bit longer we recommend another hotel.

Room Tip: Don´t accept room from the basement
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My daughter and I have just returned from two nights stay in room 9!! Wish we had read reviews before we went. Felt slightly ill at ease when asked to pay balance on arrival at the somewhat scruffy reception - why oh why didn't I ask to see the room first!!!

This "hotel" is absolutely dire - I hope they use our £85 per night charge to buy a new bed and some desperately needed paint. I take issue with some of the reviews which justify the disgusting conditions at this hotel because it is cheap - firstly I don't think it was cheap and secondly soap and water don't cost much so there is no excuse for this hotel to be so dirty.

The only reason we stayed was because the sheets were clean and we were only there for a very short space of time. Furniture was old, grubby and damaged - we didn't even unpack - as the drawers were very grubby inside. Paint and plaster coming off the walls dirt on the skirting boards inches thick, the bedside lamp was vile - even after a shower you felt grubby due to the surroundings.

There were no tea and coffee making facilities - probably just as well really!!! We used the deli on the corner for a late cuppa. Looked into the breakfast room on the first morning but turned tail and preferred to go and pay for breakfast - bit annoying really when you have already paid for it. Second morning decided to brave breakfast - well cup of tea really before heading off. When I say cup of tea I mean half a cup of hot water with tea bag on the side - no pot or top ups here - half a cup that's your whack. A bowl of pre-poured cornflakes was planted in front of my daughter (you didn't even have portion control) and two slices of "toast" was plonked in front of me - don't expect a toast rack or your toast in nice triangles. Don't expect "would you like anything else, is everything ok for you" - they don't ask because they really, really don't want the answers!!!

It's location is extremely good and for London the price is competitive, however I have stayed in places far cheaper with excellent breakfast, friendly staff and delightful rooms - there is no excuse for this place - it is an absolute disgrace, Big Issue sellers would turn their noses up at this one.

Come on Griffin House - clean up your act and give your guests a decent experience - you put London and the rest of the UK to utter shame. You should be ashamed of yourselves what an impression to give travellers - disgraceful.

DO NOT STAY HERE NO MATTER HOW DESPERATE YOU ARE - THIS PLACE IS JUST AWFUL.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple