“UNSAFE - avoid at all costs”

West Cromwell Hotel
Ranked #866 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Galway
“UNSAFE - avoid at all costs”
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Due to availability, I was booked into a double room for the first night and asked if I minded being moved to a single room for the remaining 2 nights. My suitcase would be moved during the day, hotel mgmt. assured me. Not only was the suitcase not moved, but two unsupervised minors were checked into the double room. They must have thought Christmas came early, as they completely ransacked the suitcase, stole a number of items, including passport (thrown in bin), stole car keys etc. Hotel management extremely slow to accept responsibility at every stage, even though it clearly is their responsibility and liability, no refund of room costs offered or agreed to once requested insistently, some damages paid after legal action was threatened, still dragging feet on paying remaining damages - may need to take them to court next.

Hands down the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank prendergast

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Having read previous reviews on this website we were nervous about staying here. Fortunately for my friend and our two daughters this hotel was very nice and staff very friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was big, warm and basic but spotlessly clean. Its very close to Earl's Court tube station and close to all the amenities we needed.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Jaki88
belfast
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Well how do i begin.
I was shown the room before paying (only cash or a 3.5% charge on credit card £40 per night) it was really very small i could reach out and touch both wall.
It seemed ok, although there was a very unpleasant smell..
Once i was left, I was horrified to discover the dirty, filthy bathroom, the toilet had not been cleaned from the last guest, there was [--] all around the bowl and bits of toilet paper all over the floor... my worst nightmare was realised..
I stayed in room 8 top of the stairs, as for a good nights sleep forget it, there was a loud droning noise all night, i tried to sleep with the TV on.
As for breakfast, i didn’t bother going back, once was enough.. with only a choice of toast or cornflakes accompanied by really awful instant coffee. My advice is to avoid this so called hotel, it is the WORST place i have EVER EVER stayed in..

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank nomin2

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Rome
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I’m extremely disappointed with the West Cromwell Hotel management and services. I’ve arrived at 11.00 am of the 1st July after having booked a single room with private bathroom for a fare of £60.

The prices reported by the West Cromwell Hotel on the advertisement were: up to £ 35 for a Single room with private bathroom, £ 50 for a Double room with private bathroom, from £ 65 to £ 70 for a Family room with private bathroom; on the base of this information I’ve chosen the hotel (it was a trick?) and I thought to be in a very large room.

When they’ve permitted me to access to the room B1, I find something unacceptable: it was an underground room, extremely tiny, with a window in front of a wall, with a single tiny bed, without a wardrobe or something similar where to put may clothes (maybe in their idea I had to put my clothes on the floor, under the bed because it was the only floor available). Indeed a not decent room!!

As first thing I asked to the reception if it was possible to change the room because it was not acceptable for me (I’m in London often and I never found something like this in the same hotel category). They said me that it was not possible and so I was forced to look for another hotel and so I did it for all the afternoon wasting my time (warning the receptionist that for this reason I had to leave the hotel the day after).

So I wasted all the afternoon finding another hotel and all the day on this issue.
When I came back at the hotel in the evening I found a man extremely rude that has threatened me to charge £ 120, if I decided to leave the hotel. My compliments for the hotel policy!

In his mind the notice of a cancellation was due 48h (on the website is clearly reported that is 24h) before arrival and I had to stay in the indecent room!

But it was not a cancellation, I was forced to leave for the bad service! And the receptionist and that Hotel manager are not able to understand the little difference.
After the threats I warned the rude man that he was doing something illegal (and that I had to report this to the authorities) and I had the chance to speak at phone with the Hotel Manager, so I paid only £56. But I’m still claiming against the Hotel for a refund for the very bad service and all the additional costs I’ve incurred for this problem during my stay in London.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank ser5
Liverpool
Reviewed July 16, 2009

This is by far the most horrific hotel I have ever stayed at and I stay at about 30 hotels a year in London as I live down here Monday to Friday.

They advertise direct dial phones in the room. In fact, having now stayed in 3 different rooms over the last 3 nights (don't ask) they don't work as the actual sockets are broken. This contravenes their fire saefty certificate as guests cannot call reception (or be called) in an emergency and this is something I am taking action about with Kensington & Chelsea councils health & safety executive. The hotel is a deathtrap with only one escape route which is badly signed etc.

The rooms are filthy. So filthy that I was woken this morning by a mouse a foot away from my head eating through a multipack of crisps and a multipack of Kit Kats. Outside of the window are enough rat droppings to fertilise a whole field. The rooms stink in every sense of the word - they smell awful.

They have nice flat screen TV's but unfortunately you can't get a signal on them so have to watch an appalling picture.

There are no staff there half the time, I went to check out this morning upon finding the mouse but the only staff in the hotel was a lady who worked in the kitchen for breakfast.

The hotel will not refund my nights stay for tonight because there argument is all hotels in London have mice and we have cleaned the room. Kensington & Chelsea councils trading standards department who I just got off the phone to say different and I will be challenging them this evening when I return to this hell hole.

I could say fifty bad things about this hotel but I guess hygiene, vermin and fire safety are enough reasons for you to run a mile from staying here.

Service is

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank DylanPemberton
RatsRUsWestCromwell, Manager at West Cromwell Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
All hotels have mice, deal with it.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Stayed there for 4 nights for shopping and visiting friends.

The location is very good, as it's a short walk to earl's court tube and there's a bus stop right outside of the hotel, as well as a 24h Tesco 100m down the road.
The staff were very helpful and polite with any issue I had, no matter what time of the day.
Clean rooms, nice bathroom and TV w/ cable.

The rooms are small (but this is common in central london), and the sink was clogged, but they switched me to a bigger and nicer room at no extra cost. There is some traffic outside the window of some of the rooms, and sounds travel easily through walls, though I didn't mind as the stay was cheap anyways.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank SolamenteJack
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2009

We enjoyed our stay here. The Staff were helpful and charming. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast, continental, from friendly Waitress. Transport links excellent. Local supermarket nearby for snacks, etc! All in all, we would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple