“OK Hotel in Paddington” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #660 of 1,087 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“OK Hotel in Paddington”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

The Falcon is a located in a typical London square in a Georgian terrace less than 5 minutes away from Paddington Station. My single room on the third flor had a shower but toilet was down on the first floor not really a problem. This area of London is full of this type of hotel for travellers. The hotel is of general good repair but is tatty around the edges but room was clean and equiped with TV, Hair Dryer and optional Wifi at extra cost. I have paid £45 per night for 3 nights breakfast is included but I was unavailble to take it as it does not start until 7:30am a bit of a problem for business travellers. The single member of staff that I met was helpful. Not saying this wpould be my first choice of hotel to stay in again but I would return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Recently stayed in this hotel whilst in London for the weekend. Rooms, although small were clean and the staff were really friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and you had a choice of options. The hotel was ideally situated to Paddington underground station and the local bus route. The price £79.00 for two in a twin room with ensuite and breakfast was, I think a good deal.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hazel W
Krakow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I was travelling solo on business. Was looking for a hotel deal near Paddington. After trying other hotels around (and believe me you can go wrong..) I picked Falcon. I was not disappointed. For 70 GBP you get a clean, calm and friendly hotel. Location is great - few steps from the station, on a calm square , far enough from the city noise. Just be careful - cheapest rooms do not have a dedicated bathroom , but this is indicated as you make a reservation. I picked a double on a first floor. It was spacey enough with a tiny bathroom with is a standard around Paddington. I would only complain about the mattress which was too soft for me. Also I am not sure two middle size Europeans would fit to double bed, but for me alone was perfect. Overall good option for a short stay in the middle of the city.

Room Tip: Be sure to pick a room with a bathroom if you want one....
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank topolnic
Lowell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

A bit of backstory... A massive snow storm at home forced me to change the dates of my trip. The original hotel was unable to change my trip plans and, at the last minute, I needed to find a new hotel. I need a place in a good area (I was traveling alone) and budget friendly. Falcon Hotel kept coming back on my searches and when I saw how close it was to Paddington Station, I knew it was the right place.
They had a reasonable check in time and process. This is an old townhouse about 2 blocks from the Tube/Train station so it was easy to walk over with all my bags. My room was on the first floor with a window facing the street and the small square outside. I had a balcony with a table and chairs that I could have spent time on had it been warmer and drier. My room had a double bed, sink and shower. My toilet was in a water closet on the landing just a few steps away from the room. It was my own water closet, no shared toilet, but it was outside of the room. I had no problem with this.
The room had plenty of outlets, lights, a television, and a kettle (with cups) for tea and coffee. There was a closet and a bench. The linens are a little old, but the bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. The heat worked perfectly and the amenities were nice. They give you a tv remote for your room when you check in. You need to return that with your room key when you check out. They have a small shop of travel items at the front desk. My power converter had trouble with my laptop charger so it was nice to pick up another one for just a few pounds. Each morning there was a complimentary breakfast that included bacon and eggs. The basement dining room was comfortable and the food was good. The staff was nice and accommodating of my needs.
Around the hotel is plenty of restaurants including a few pubs, a steakhouse, a great greek place and more. There were some shops where you could pick up snacks. Paddington station had some shops as well including a chemist/drug store where I picked up a few needed items. I felt incredibly safe and comfortable walking around the area at night and was really glad I found such a great place at the last minute. This hotel is a great place for people looking for a budget friendly hotel in a safe location.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Sara M
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I've stayed at the Falcon Hotel back in November 2013 for 4 nights, it was great as for the price/quality balance, and I wanted to sum up the pluses and minuses as I saw them:

+ the hotel is very cosy and 'English', lovely to look at,
+ it's very clean, and the bathroom equipment is new, no problems with water pressure or temperature,
+ good central heating - the room is very warm and you can dry your clothes on the heater, but if the air feels stuffy you can open a window,
+ tea making facilities in the room - very convenient!
+ the reception staff friendly & helpful,
+ the area is packed with cafes, diners, and the nearest underground station is literally around the corner,
+ it's very close to Hyde Park and Kensington gardens which provide a nicest morning walk, and actually you can walk to the very centre of the city in some 30-40 minutes and see a number of sights just as you go.

- the room was really very small, with even no table or night stand, so I had to keep most of my things in the suitcase (there's a closet for clothes however),
- the shower cabin is equally small; I'm short and skinny but even I was constantly hitting my elbows on the cabin walls while washing my hair - really can't imagine how a bigger person can fit in!
- no elevator... wasn't a problem for me, but the stairs are quite steep, so you just have to be really careful,
- breakfast is a bit dull, won't advise taking it if not included in the rate. Coffee and toast were all right though.
- the Edgewater road area where the hotel is situated is an Arabic area, so it didn't quite feel like London at all sometimes... The local food places and shops were all authentic and I didn't fancy it much because naturally I was looking for traditional British things on my first visit to the country; but if it's all right with you then it shouldn't be much of a problem. There were some strange groups of people hanging in the sidestreets though after the sunset, so watch out.
- you have to leave 20p hold at the reception to get a remote control for you TV - but I hope you're not in London to watch the TV... and anyway you can stand up on the bed and choose a channel you need using the buttons on the side of the TV set.:)

All in all - I'd recommend it for a not very long visit to the city if you're planning to be out of the room most of the day, if you like the 'really British' ambience of the room&building, and preferably if you're not a solo female traveller.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Vera_Kudrya
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have stayed at the Falcon by myself and with friends for 5 years. I have found the staff eager to please and have seen many people getting good advice and tips from the desk staff. I have been traveling to London for more than 20 years and without exception, this is the best budget hotel I have stayed in in London. I travel more than 100+ nights per year in the US for my job and I can understand why, coming from that experience, you might think the Falcon rooms are small and creative in their placement of sinks, toilets, showers and beds. It is also not big enough to have a lift. These facts may not work for you. If you need a room that is closer to the size of US hotel rooms, you might want to pick another hotel. If you need an elevator, the Falcon is not for you. What I like about the Falcon is that they take good care of people and I have never found that level of concern in any budget hotel. Once, I even had a blow dryer thrown at me by desk staff in a London hotel that had bigger rooms and an elevator but ZERO customer service. As someone who frequently travels to London alone, I appreciate that the staff would notice if I did not return. In 2011, I arrived at the Falcon and my room had just been painted. Rather than putting me into that room which still had a faint paint smell, they put me into another room until my assigned room had an additional day to air out, this meant they could not rent that room out and they lost a night's revenue to take care of me. I think they do this because they cared about me and I think that is great customer service. Again, I would stress that I get to stay in lots of big hotel rooms in the US and I need them sometimes for work but I spend so little time in my room when I travel to London that I don't need a room as big as a Marriott and I prefer to spend the $200/night difference going to the theatre, visiting palaces and sampling new restaurants in London. Again, I think this has to do with your expectations and needs when traveling. The Falcon is a great budget hotel with a great breakfast, small rooms and no lift, but it also doesn't start at $350 a night. I have had many unpleasant surprises at London budget hotels before I found the Falcon, now I don't stay anywhere else. Terri Jones

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank tljones2309
Roma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

found this hotel on internet, I was looking for a place next to Paddington station and went there for 3 nights from 12TH to 15Th December. The position is perfect: central London,connected to Heathrow airport by the Heathrow Express, tube station nearby (Central, district and Hammersmith-city). From the station it just took 2 mns walking to get to the hotel. In front of it a little garden. Very quiet place. My room was at the 2nd floor, no elevator, but the building is old, victorian style. The room was a twin-bedded one, with a small ensuite bathroom; the washbasin was very small, but the shower cabin was of good dimension and there's the hairdryer. Very clean, parquet in the room and lcd tv. Free internet point, they were very kind and helpful. Very good breakfast, buffett continental type with yoghurt, fruit salad, jam, butter, croissant, biscuits, orange juice and cheese and tasty full english hot from the kitchen with scramblrd eggs, rashers, baked beans, toast, tea or coffee. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room and also next to the reception. We could keep the key room with us during the stay. I suggest it to everyone for the cleaness, courtesy and position. Great value for money too!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family