“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!”

Cromwell Crown Hotel
Ranked #947 of 1,088 Hotels in London
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Do not waste your money on this disgrace! After weaving through the dirt and construction workers we made our way to out prison cell. Shortly after arriving we noticed a smell similar to that of rotting flesh from the bath room, I also found that the sink was blocked both of which I mentioned to the staff at reception - neither of these issues were rectified. The second night I noticed that there was no lock on the doors leading to the shared balcony - the maintenance fella had a look then told me it wasn't going to fixed until tomorrow. I suggested it needed to be fixed on the spot to which he drilled a screw the size of a twistie into the bottom and left. He stated the kitchen was flooding due to the rain and he had to get back to it. Walls are paper thin so we sat up all night listening to the going's on of the couple next door's flourishing relationship as well as their tv and traffic from the neighbouring road. I highly recommend you save your money - I have stayed in some ordinary places but this takes the cake! Check out the photos!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brenton D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Positives: good value for money, clean, newly refurbished room, great location, well meaning staff.

Negatives: small room, single glazing, problems with the lock on the door, walls too thins, most of the staff's English isn't very good, no wifi in our room.

When we stayed they had builders in, this is fine as they are aiming to make the hotel better however it is not fine when they start at 8am on a Saturday morning. Noise can be an issue. I swear I am now fluent in Italian after listening to the woman next door for most of the night. The room next to us also had problems with the lock on their door, resulting in late night attempts to bang their door down. The hotel had locksmiths in the next day so at least they were trying to deal with the problem. However, we came back to our room to find the locksmith and a member of staff standing in our room looking at our lock. I wasn't impressed as I had just come back from a run, and later found that after this incident there was now a problem with our door!

No Wifi in our room. Asked reception who said we had. Tried again, we definitely didn't. Staff are helpful once they work out what you're asking for. For example, I asked for an extra towel and they did bring me one.

Overall a bit of a confusing stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emma T
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here for three nights with my two children. Checking in at the Cromwell Crown was very slow, the staff didn't seem to know what they were doing and were not that friendly or efficent. When i was eventually given our room key and took the very old and tired lift to the 4th floor i opened the room door to find dust sheets, the curtains closed and the furniture including the bed in pieces on the floor waitig to be constructed. I went back to reception and explained and asked for a different room. The staff seemed confused and it took a while for them to understand the issue, but soon arranged an upgraded room for us - a superior quad - 203. This room was very nice, freshly refurbished and spacious. Although it was at the front of the hotel and so there was a lot of traffic noise all night long which ment i found sleeping difficult. The room was fairly clean and the bathroom was very smart although the windows and net curtains needed a good wash. I was disapointed there wasn't a hairdryer seeing as this was a superior room. On the morning of check out the maid burst into the room as my daughter was still dressing and asked if we were checking out ( it was 10:45 and check out was at 11:00) i replied yes, we'll be 5mins. Two maids then sat outside our door chatting until we left, having to climb over hoovers and cleaning equipment to get out of our door and to the lift!
The hotel is in a very good location, easy walking distance to Gloucester Rd tube, Sainsburys over the road, a few Italian Restaurants opposite and the Natural History and Science museums ten mins walk away.
This hotel is good if you want a budget hotel in a good location.

Room Tip: Go for the best room you can afford.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend and arrived while the hotel is having a massive refurbishment. The staff offered no explanation or apology for any inconvenience caused by the constant banging, working and clouds of dust that covered the staircases and hallways. Our room was recently done, and reasonably clean. But it was missing about three light bulbs and the lampshades kept falling off their fixings. The rooms were the highlight. Breakfast was so appalling it bordered comical. Guests were sent to a dingy room at the back of the building with filthy doors and windows and yet more dust on a threadbare carpet. We were sat at Formica tables and assumed we were to help ourselves. There were some cornflakes and muesli but no milk. There were also some hard boiled eggs and bread. That was it for an expensive breakfast option. We weren't offered tea or coffee and had to ask. It came minus milk or sugar and we had to ask for that in addition to butter/jams etc. Staff were either downright rude or badly trained and had absolutely zero interest in guests. There were several dismayed guests at breakfast.
The hotel is sure to look much nicer once the work is done but it will barely improve the paltry level of service and insulting quality of food. Excellent location near to Gloucester road tube and walking distance to Harrods, Natural History Museum and the V&A. But even this doesn't make up for the utter joke our stay at the Cromwell Crown hotel was.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank EllBroads

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 9 nights and have absolutely nothing to complain about. Rooms were meticulously cleaned, shower is excellent and room is of a comfortable size. Owners are renovating so workmen welcome you to bkfast but it's no bother at all. Staff helped with all requests. Most IMp thing is location location location: night buses stop 5 mins away from hotel, main line just 7 mins walk away, taxi ride from centre is less than ten mins. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I'm an experienced city contractor. Stay in hotels every week away from home so it's important to have somewhere comfortable etc. the price seems good but there's a catch. The hotel staff are really rude and totally useless and the rooms are still being refurbished so I was put in a room in the middle of a building site woken at 8am every morning by huge noise. I work in the city til late so sleep ins are crucial. I also had wires and pipes sticking out of holes in the wall. I asked for a new room and was told their computers didn't work so I had to wait this went on for 2 days so I had enough and checked out 3 nights early. When I checked out the receptionist promised me a refund as a gesture of goodwill of the unused nights. I was asked to write all my complaint details on a piece of paper as a formality but that I would receive payment within afew days. 8 days later I called them today to be told they aren't now willing to gives any money back. I have told all my fellow contractors to avoid this place so that's atleast some way of teaching them a lesson in treating customers properly. Seriously it really is a lottery with this hotel which room u get and where. Don't risk it

• Stayed January 2013