“Return visit - double studio was a treat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vancouver Studios

Vancouver Studios
Ranked #301 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Return visit - double studio was a treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Another visit to the Vancouver Studios - very good location close to two tube lines and with a useful and money saving kitchenette. I stayed here at the beginning of September for a few days in a single studio and and the end of September for a week with a surprise upgrade to a double room. The single studios are still fine for longer stays but it was very nice having that bit of extra space to stretch out in the double room. The reception staff were still very friendly and helpful barring one woman who was more enthusiastic about her mobile phone than the guests.

These are minor quibbles but worth a mention: the housekeeping this time was very 'interesting' - I didn't appreciate being woken up by someone trying to get into the room to clean and I was disturbed on more than one day. That 'do not disturb' sign didn't offer magical protection. The cleaning was also patchy on this visit and I did find something you wouldn't quite expect in the room (purple with batteries) and so not mine. I came back one afternoon to find my room door open, not just unlocked. Thankfully there is a security system that prevents people just walking in off the streets so this wasn't a major problem, besides the fact I didn't have anything anyone would want to steal. It would still pay to use the small safe that is provided in the cupboard. Housekeeping had also decided that I didn't want to recyle my water bottles which I had left well away from any bins on a table by the window for re-use the next day. There seemed to be a set pattern on the dining table that had to be adhered to regardless and water bottles must have ruined the symmetry. All of my things on the table seemingly had to be moved to accommodate this. The new louvre wooden shutters were also badly thought out - because of the pelmet they don't actually fold back, so you can move the louvres up and down to let in light but cannot easily access the window. They look nice but could be more practical. On previous visits I have been impressed with the standard of housekeeping so I wouldn't let it put you off a visit as this may have been a transient problem.

The bed was comfortable, the shower had lovely consistent hot water, the towel were fluffy and large, the tv channels plentiful, the wifi generally good and you did not get a lot of noise from other guests, barring some panting by people reaching the top of the stairs and I too contributed to that. The man with the angle grinder on the scaffolding outside the wiindow did ruin the peace but that wasn't the hotel's fault. Overall a pleasurable stay and those stairs certainly help with the fitness level. Now I've been spoilt by the double room it will be hard to go back to a single studio. Now if I could find somewhere to write a review of the idiot that decided to close both the district and circle lines for planned engineering works on the weekend I was trying to get to Heathrow by tube. Just as well reception was there to help solve this travel dilemma and look after my luggage. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank NessieC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The Vancouver Studios in London is just lovely. From the moment I popped my head in the door, I was treated perfectly. I had a room on near the top, but the kind lady at the desk suggested that I could change rooms if I wanted to a lower level room as she thought I was dragging suitcases, as the stairs can be tough on people. I fortunately have no problem with the stairs, but be warned - if you stay in a Victorian hotel there will never be a lift/elevator as due to preservation building codes they cannot be installed.
The room and hotel were immaculate - I let out a little cheer when I got into the room. Their single rooms can be noted as small (if you're basing size on a North American standard, for example) but for me it was ideal. I had the kitchen items I needed, lovely decor, tv and a nice view of the neighbourhood. I mean, you're in London - how much time are you going to spend in your room anyway? Either way, it's an ideal base. There's so much to see and you're in such a lovely area. It's very easy getting around. It's a jam packed area with many other similar hotels (not hotels like we're used to in North America) but you'll know what I mean when you get there...but Vancouver Studios is perfect - and a real step up from most of it's hotel neighbours and remarkably quiet too.
The kind front desk staff will take time with you to give you tips as to where everything is etc. It's super easy to get around, there are great pubs close by and it's a 10 minute walk to Hyde Park and many shops. This is a great hotel, and even greater if you can score a deal on laterooms.com I currently live in Oxford, and often come into London on weekends, seeing as It's only 58 odd miles away. This hotel is one of my top three places to stay.
I'm orginally from Vancouver Canada, and I'm glad to say that this hotel does the city of Vancouver total justice. It's just lovely and I'll be back. Book it. Now.

Room Tip: Be careful with the upper levels of the hotel, as the stairs are narrow and very steep. If you can...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank pixie1
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights here in August. Our room was on the ground floor and opened onto a lovely courtyard where we had breakfast each morning and relaxed on the evening. The room was very quaint and pretty. The only down side was that there was no air-conditioning and as we were on the ground floor couldn't leave the french doors (no other windows) open overnight so got very hot as the weather was very warm during our stay (this probably isn't a problem normally but reflected in sleep quality rating). The bathroom/shower was quite narrow but we found it OK - could be difficult for a larger person (don't drop the soap).
Despite this, the location was excellent with a supermarket and some nice pubs nearby on Queensway. A lot of the tourist buses leave on Bayswater Rd at the end of Queensway so easy to get around the main tourist attractions. You can transfer easily from Heathrow by taking the Piccadilly line (terminating Cockfosters) to Earls Court then changing to the District Line (terminating Edgeware Rd) getting off at Bayswater. The hotel is about 10 mins walk from here.
This is a really pretty area and we enjoyed our stay here - despite the heat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here for 8 nights and for the most part was satisfied. There is no elevator so I had to carry my bags (1 carryon-size suitcase and a backpack) to the 4th floor. My room was small but functional. It had a kitchenette with a fridge, microwave, and cooktop so I saved a lot of money by going to the grocery store and eating 2 out of 3 meals in my room. The street that the hotel is on, Princes Square, is VERY noisy at all hours. I wore earplugs and didn't hear any street noise, but I had at least one neighbor who felt the need to slam the door every time he/she left and came back. The hotel is close to 2 Tube stops: Bayswater (Circle and District lines, a 5-minute walk) and Queensway (Central line, a 10-minute walk).

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, request a room on the courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Myhra
Wellington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have stayed in many places in London over the years and this is the best. Paddington is a favourite area for me due to the fast train from Heathrow. You can taker the quicker but more expensive express option or the cheaper and 15mins longer Heatherow Connect straight into Paddington Station. Vancouver Studios is a short taxi fare away but you can easily walk 20mins if you don't have much luggage. Vancouver Studios is located between two bus routes. You can pretty much get anywhere by bus. And just as close are two tube stations. Hyde Park is 10mins walk away. The rooms at Vancouver Studios are lovely. We booked in to the smaller twin studio which would have been fine for a couple of nights but as we were staying longer, we upgraded to a larger twin studio. So worth it. Both rooms had a serviceable kitchenette - we had breakfast each morning and usually heated a ready-made meal, from one of the three supermarkets in close proximity, for our evening meal. It saves a lot of money when staying in London to eat at "home". The room was serviced each day to a high standard. I cannot find fault with this hotel. The people on the desk were very nice and friendly. And both rooms were quiet. You do have to walk up the stairs as there is no lift. I would totally recommend staying here. The rate is very reasonable for a lovely room in a great location with fantastic staff.

Room Tip: Room at back would be quieter tho it is not an exceptionally busy road and it is walk-up only
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank AlixWellington
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I travelled on a business trip and spent a week at vancouver. The first impression I had was terrible as I had to carry my luggage to the room (4th floor without lift). That really pissed me off. But once I entered the room and felt the bed, everything changed.
The rooms are very congested but are well equipped. Cleanliness is very well maintained.
Loved the stay and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business