“small but perfectly formed in a great location with excellent staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vancouver Studios

Vancouver Studios
Ranked #251 of 1,080 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“small but perfectly formed in a great location with excellent staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

I'm used to small London hotel rooms and happily stayed in a standard single studio for 7 nights - the space was luxurious compared to several broom cupboard rooms I've stayed in around Bayswater. There was room to open my suitcase on the floor, enough storage space and good cupboard space for bought food items in the kitchenette. The fridge was also a good size so no need to practice minbar jenga. The bathroom and shower were small but practical with towel rails and somewhere to put your toothbrush and again, I've stayed in hotels with bathrooms so small they couldn't fit a toilet roll holder.

Wifi was free and worked consistently, the room was cleaned perfectly and the toiletries were a nice luxury touch.

Every person on reception was lovely, helpful and friendly - not something I've experienced ever in London hotels. Marco helped me get my luggage up the stairs after a late night arrival and it really helped create a good initial impression. I was allowed to print my boarding pass from the computer in the library - it's touches like that that make a difference.

A couple of minor quibbles - tv reception was iffy and couldn't receive many of the standard channels. All the crockery and cutlery in the kitchenette is stored in a high cupboard so yoga stretching was needed each morning to get bowls for breakfast (which were helpfully put away each day during the cleaning process - next time I'll leave a note). The power point was also stranded on a wall at the end of the bed on the otherside of the bedhead, so my phone had to create a bungee line to the bed when plugged in for recharging - so daylight hours only. The room was also very stuffy when left closed up all day but opening the windows for a little while helped with climate control. It was noiser but this is central London, not sure I would stay in high summer without air conditioning though.

I also agree with a previous reviewer - the matting is hard on the footsore at the end of a long day's sightseeing when even a couple of flights of stairs feel like hard work.

These are very minor quibbles - overall a very good stay and I am staying again later this year for another 7 nights.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank NessieC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I did get turned around a bit in finding this for the first time on my morning of arrival, but once I was directed by a good-samaritan worker man I found on a nearby street (thank goodness for his handy iPhone gps device!) I fully realized what a convenient five-minute walk around a couple of corners from Bayswater tube station VS really is. It's just one short transfer off the Piccadilly line in from LHR and quite the convenient base for all of your London wanderings, too.

Now while I wasn't able to check in immediately upon morning arrival, I was able to store my bags in one of the rooms off the lobby and use the wifi in their overstuffed sitting room before I set off for a few hours. Upon my return, I was given the choice of a small single which indeed did face my requested garden, or a "larger" room, also on the second floor, which faced the street. I went with the street-facing room, and am I glad I did! There was never a problem with noise from below and the room was huuuge, a great king bed, a sleeper sofa, the kitchenette, a table set for four and two big windows. Positives include the wifi, the fluffiest hotel towels I've ever seen, the fridge & microwave, location, and great & friendly service from every staff member who I encountered. Negatives, if I must find some, were the hard and scratchy sissel rug which was murder on my sore feet, and the weird little bathroom sink which was so small that you couldn't really put your face over it and splash even a bit of water on it without splashing over half the rest of the room. But that's a very minor consideration, the sink looked very cool.

I left London early on a Sunday morning. It turns out the tube doesn't start running until 720a on Sundays so the front desk gentleman very kindly arranged for a cab to pick me up at 6a to get me over to Paddington Station for the zippy (but $$$) Heathrow Express. Thanks to everyone at VS, they made my stay a special one.

I recommend VS to my friends, and I hope to stay here again myself the next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Yes, it's an old building and the stairs are steep. That staircase was a daunting thing before m...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Christine C
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

We arrived, jet-lagged, 5 hours earlier than check-in and Damien let us in early. Bliss. A taste of things to come! We originally stayed 6 nights in a balcony studio overlooking Princes Square. Sunsets from the balcony were a highlight. Later in our trip we stayed at the Garden Sudio, then were upgraded for a final night at the end of our trip to a 3 bedroom apartment. Both face the gorgeous garden. All rooms were great. Immaculately clean, tastfully and differently furnished, good beds, reasonable bathrooms. Location was fab- it felt quiet, but it was so close to the tube and everything we wanted to see. Thanks for recommending the Prince Alfred - great roast dinners. All the staff were really helpful. We will be staying again.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are great for late arvo bevvie. The Garden Room is quieter, with a lovey setting...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed in single studio apartment, very well kitted out and everything in good condition. WC/sink area quite compact and final flight of stairs to top floor quite steep and narrow, so might not be so comfortable for any taller/larger than average person. All staff very helpful and friendly. Excellent location with two tubes within easy 5 min walk and restaurants, pubs and shopping nearby. Biggest drawback - internal soundproofing not too good, so could hear people coming home late at night, climbing stairs, opening/shutting doors, etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Vancouver rooms was a pleasant surprise when compared to previous dingy room and hotel experiences in London.

The hotel is immaculately clean and warm (a bit too warm for my boyfriend). Our room was on the small side but was functional nonetheless. Little touches like the complimentary tea and coffee, the apples in reception, the beautiful blinds and the fact that you can open the windows make up for the small size of the room.

The decor was thought off and some surprise antique finds made the place that bit more interesting. The receptionist was personable and friendly: truly proud of the place and very welcoming.

My favourite room was the reading room looking out to a well kept and maintained garden. There are books you can pick up and read and a selection of DVDs.

The only thing I would change is the price . It was a last minute booking for us and I think it should have been £20 or £30 cheaper.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Simply loved my stay here. I stay in a single room which was small but enough for me. The space really was not bad though because most even i had two of my friends accompany me back to the hotel and sit comfortably in the room for tea and biscuits before making their way back home. I was very surprised but v. grateful that the receptionist aloud this. I met two different receptionist and both were v.nice and welcoming.

My stay was back in Sept 2011 and have been meaning to write a review since. I am planning to book a room for June next week which reminded me to write this review so i can add another once I have returned.

My only fault really was there was a slight smell of curry in the room which did bother me and when reported to the receptionist one morning before leaving out, i returned back in the evening to the matter resolved; apart from this everything was perfect.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank missymish
vienna
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

There are no miracles out there - means : you get, what you paid for. Spent here one night in a single room - in a tiny & dingy room. The public areas are somehow charming with those dusty vintage luggage, taxidermy animals and riding boots - but my room was rather shabby. They have walls of paper and the windows can't keep off the traffic noise. It's located near to the tube though (ca. 5-10 min) and walking distance to Notting Hill. Had no breakfast there, so I cannot comment on that one. If you're lucky you'll have the friendly and helpful receptionist lady (with dark hair).

Room Tip: Take one off the street
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business