“The Doller doesn't go too far in London...”

Kingsway Park Hotel
Ranked #857 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Los Angeles
“The Doller doesn't go too far in London...”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Here's what you get in London for about $160 / night during a "no event" week in early December : A third floor (no elevator) room, approximately 13' X 13' with a converted 'cruise ship' bathroom mounted in one corner. By this I mean a 'step up and into' fiberglass enclosure that contains toilet, sink and shower similar to those compartments found on most (all?) cruise ships. No soap provided (or any other toiletries). Room heat supplied by an electric 'radiator'. A 19" flat-panel TV that received many channels, most of them 'pixillated', i.e., the TV would 'freeze' constantly, similar to Web videos that constantly 'buffer'. Yes, the Hotel provides feww WiFi (internet) connection. The outwardly looking Queen sized bed was actually two twin beds pushed together. Yes, bed linens and towels were changed daily. The provided breakfast included Tea, coffee, juice, cereal, toast, and / or 'full English breakfast'. The latter included two fried eggs, bacon and (baked) beans. The Hotel 'lobby' or 'reception area' included a functional TV and a couch. The Hotel is within easy walking distance of the Padington Train / Underground station(s), making it convenient for accessing LHR (airport) via the Heathrow Express, especially if you're schlepping luggage. Beyond that, not much to recommend. Having said that, I am unaware of *any* Hotel in London ('m there 2-3 times per year) that would meet the criteria of what I would deem 'reasonable, comfortable' accommodations in the vicinity of $150 / night...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DefaultLosAngeles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Finnish first
Fgura
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I booked this hotel through internet and all the manager asked for was the credit details and compared to other hotels that make you pay right away i payed at the end of the holiday.The hotel itself was good nothing flashy, basic with a clean room and towels daily,breakfast was good can"t ask for more in the morrning then cereal, toast and an english breakfast .Even the staff were helpful especialy the girl that served us breakfast daily.Fot those who like walking this hotel is close to everthing so i would greatly recomend it .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Good overall and great value for money, location is excellent; 5 minutes walk to Hyde Park, 2 minutes from Paddington Station & underground. Good choice at breakfast. Room was on the small side but clean & tidy. Mr Kim & his staff were friendly & willing to help. I would recommend this hotel and when in London again we will stop here..

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs ask for a ground or 1st floor room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rhodes, Greece
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I booked this hotel through the internet because of the location and the description and photos I saw at their site. When I arrived they gave me the room No 5 at the hotel Admiral of same owner/company. I refused to stay because the room was too small. No more than 7 - 8 m2. Then they offered me a room at the Kingsway Park hotel on the 4th floor which was unaccepte. After 3 hrs waiting at the reception and calling the Police they .... upgrated me giving me a triple room. From this moment started my adventure. Very dirty, terrible furniture. Room was not clean and chenge of linen and towels for 4 days. Very dirty carpets. I wonder which authority gave them the permit to operate this hotel. Hotel in U.K. are not controlled ? See attached photos. If you want to suffer book this hotel for your next holidays. My mistake is that I did not check the comments of clients before I booked the hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank christosp793

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

somerset
Reviewed December 4, 2012

good overall and great value for money ,excellent breakfast with waitress service , location and staff always willing to help,rooms are compact but clean and have all you need tv,coffee etc.if you dont like stairs just ask for one on the ground floor

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We had read about this awful guy who worked there, here on tripadvisor, so we were prepared, but still I am shocked that someone who works in the service business can act so awful!!

When we arrived, two girls, we talked to this smug and condescending guy, and he was checking our reference number when a group of men walked in.Then he forgot about us and started helping the men. THEN, another group of men walked in, and he started helping them aswell, leaving us hanging. My friend said "excuse me, are you going to help us?" and then he said something about those guys "just wanted blablabla", and he got kind of angry at us and said "I wasn¨t ignoring you if thats what you think" (which was exactly what he was doing). And he called us "young lady" in a condescending way, and said "you have probably had a long trip" - as if the problem was US being annoyed and tired after a trip, and not HIM being discriminating. When he excused himself, he made the excuse up to be "sorry if you are angry", not "sorry if I did something wrong" which is NOT an apology, but rhethorics.

We were four girls, and we had booked the hotell direct through their website. Two of us arrived early, including me, and the other two, included the one who made the booking, arrived later. When we arrived and told the douche-receptionist our booking reference and name, he didn´t find it. We showed him the e-mail confirmation that our friend who made the booking got from THEIR hotel-website, and he didnt recognize any reference numbers or anything. And of course this was OUR problem, and not his. He gave us a condescending speech about how they used a four-digit reference code, and we didn´t have that. We should of course know this.

Anyways, he wanted to hear it from the one who made the booking. He then didn´t have a room for us, so he shipped us off to the admiral hotel, like I have read so many others did before us as well. We got four beds squeezed into a small double room, but we didnt have any expectations so it was OK. when our friend who made the booking finally arrived, he then believed us that the e-mail she showed him - which was the exact e-mail he had seen before - was real, but he still made it so that this was OUR fault. He was not nice, he was condescending, he was rude. I cant believe he still have a job after all these bad reviews. If I had gotten a chance to talk to the "manager", who I suspect is the same type of guy judging by the reviews on tripadvisor, I would have given him a piece of my mind.

Oh, and the thing where they deactivate our room keys? we got back after not getting into our room one night and got this speech from the same smug receptionist:
"As I have told you, young lady (he hadn´t told us) for your own safety (as if), I deactivate the room key when you go out."

When we went to the reception another night to get our key activated again, there was another guy there we had never seen before, and we just asked to activate room number four, and he did, without any questions. we could have been anyone. "For our own safety" yeah right. He just wanted to give us a lesson or something.

When we checked out, there was this other guy in the reception, not the doucebag. He was nice, smiling and polite. I pity him for having such a horrible colleague.

Room Tip: Rooms are OK, but they are not sound proof.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

The only good thing about this place was that it was close to paddington station. The room was terrible. Stayed 4 nights and sheets were never changed once. The blankets had BED BUGS and the mattress was two singles put together. The bathroom was like a portable toilet like being on an plane. Had to put towels near the door to stop it from flooding the room. The kitchen staff were rude and unfriendly siting down at the next table eating there breakfast. The people at the desk were also unfriendly, each time we left the hotel we had to leave the door card at the desk ( what's that about? ) hence why we locked up everything in our suitcases when we left the room. Would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. KEEP AWAY

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple