“Small rooms- Charming Staff”
Review of Hotel The Caesar

Hotel The Caesar
Ranked #290 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Vancouver, Canada
“Small rooms- Charming Staff”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Booked this hotel before leaving Canada, but was never told that hotel had exterior renos underway. When we checked in, they did not mention that our room at front of hotel was enclosed by scaffolding and blue fabric building wrap, so we had no view. We assumed workers might be working on a different floor that was unoccupied.....until the morning that a workman loomed up in our full length window on the 3rd floor-working on the scaffolding....while we (two women) were each sitting on our beds and getting dressed.
In spite of that, the staff were very charming and service oriented. Be warned that these small hotels (in formerly residential buildings) have quite small rooms with the particularly odd shower gadgets and small bathrooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave your comments on your recent stay.

I apologise if the external works caused you any embarrassment. These works are essential and will be completed by September.

I am pleased that you found the service of our staff to be worthy of commenting on as we pride ourselves on our service levels.

I hope that you had a pleasant trip to the UK.

Lee Melville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We visited the hotel in July 2013 as a tenth wedding anniversary surprise for my wife. I had booked quite some time in advance because I had a very pleasant stay at the Caesar before on a short work-trip. On that occasion, I liked that the hotel was "cosy" and that the staff were friendly. I didn't want to say in a "well-known chain" of hotels nor stay somewhere that was overly stuffy... so I thought going back to the Caesar would be a perfect choice.

It is a rare occasion now that my wife and I get to travel away as a couple so I was hugely disappointed when we arrived at the hotel to find the entire front of the hotel covered with scaffolding. I would have appreciated an advance warning of the building works and, to be honest, had I known about them in advance I would have changed hotel. To be fair, the works themselves had zero impact on our stay other than they looked ugly when we arrived - but this was obviously not the initial impression I was hoping for and very much took the shine off the stay for us.

Aside from that our stay was comfortable. We had a deluxe room - which has a separate seating area etc. I like the fact that not all the rooms are the same and that each have some individual character.

I think think staff may need some more exposure to regional accents too... I travel a lot and rarely experience problems with communication in English but there were several times with the Caesar team (perhaps assistants?) that I found I had to explain my point several times....I'm putting it down to my accent but it could just be a lack of spoken English experience for some newer members to their team.

All in all we had a pleasant stay but I was hugely disappointed not to be advance warned on the building work when I had booked so far in advance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and returning to The Caesar and that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us

I apologise for your disappointment in regards the external works, however as you state this does not effect the quality of the accommodation and service and your room was not intruded by the scaffolding.

The works will be complete early September and will greatly enhance this Grade listed building.

I do hope we can welcome you a 3rd time in the future, where all works will be completed.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Caesar in November 2012. We booked ahead on line, and were given one of the smaller rooms with a window to the inside. The one good thing I can say about the room is that it was quiet. In fact, I was surprised just how quiet it was, considering that we could hear all of the foot traffic in the hallways. Once people got into their rooms, however, we never heard anything else, including televisions, which I normally can easily hear through the walls. No clumping from overhead, nothing. Surprising considering the layout of the rooms, but I suppose it's because of the much better construction from another century.

The internet in the room did not work very well. The room was so tiny that I got somewhat claustrophobic when the curtains were closed. The bed itself was comfortable, and there were enough pillows and blankets to keep us warm and cozy. The bathroom fan was extremely noisy, and turned on automatically when the bathroom light was turned on. I tried to find a way to switch it off, but no luck. The bathroom was very small, as one would expect in this type of room. Shower would not fit a larger person. I liked the toiletries that were included in a nice plastic pouch, including a pair of slippers. I don't like to walk barefooted on hotel floors.

Location: It is in the quiet area of houses and flats and about a mile from Paddington. You will have quite a long trudge with your bags unless you hail a cab, and then it's really almost too short a drive to pay for. Very convenient to Bayswater and Hyde Park, maybe a 10 minute walk to lots of restaurants and shops. Once you have dragged your luggage all the way there, you're set, but get a cab back to Paddington if it's raining.

I stayed by myself for one night and had to change rooms because the one we had was already booked. They put me in a slightly larger room which was more comfortable, and just as quiet. I would recommend getting the larger room, it's well worth it. This time, the wi-fi went down completely for hours, and I had to use the hotel's "business center" which is just 2 desktops and monitors in an alcove off the lobby (only 1 of which worked). Inconvenient but what can you do? The hotel did not offer to make any adjustments for the lack of service that was promised.

Staff: The desk staff was nice enough, when I could actually make myself understood. Between my pigeon French and their Eastern European accents, we probably communicated about .25% of the time. When I checked in alone, I had to wait some time for the room to be ready, and no one came to show me to the room until I asked again at the desk. I felt abandoned by the staff at that point. I'm sure this wouldn't have happened if my husband had been with me.

Fittings/Atmosphere: The hotel is a boutique style. It is modern and spare in decoration. There is a quirk I really dislike, which is that they burn incense in the lobby 24/7. Why? Is someone smoking weed in the hotel? The smell of incense really puts me off and I couldn't wait to get outside into the cold air of London. Location aside, I will avoid this hotel for this reason. It may not bother you, but it really seems unnecessary and is a problem for me.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a larger room if possible, inside rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback on your stay last year.

As stated on many reviews in the past every room in the Caesar due to its age is different in size, although our Deluxe rooms are spacious and offer a separate seating area.

We pride ourselves on our service and I am very disappointed to read your comments on your check in experience. I am sorry for this poor service and re-training will be provided in this important area as we like to offer a warm welcome to all our guests.

Apologies also for any failure in our wifi which we recognise as a essential service for todays guest. We have upgraded our service to the latest technology but as with anything technical failures can occur.

I do hope that we can welcome you again where I am sure we can overcome any of the niggles that experienced on your last stay with us.

Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed July 26, 2013

okey, i have been around the world quite a while but i have never been disappointed as much as i did in this hotel.
the hotel, in size is tiny! like SUPER TINY , i know London's buildings are not specifically spacious but com'on.
the room i had was old, smelly and furniture wise super cheap. construction and facade repairs were on and the view was blocked with metals and workers which was not mentioned online.
i couldn't stay one night had to move out asap!
Tube station is not really close its around 10 minutes walk distance.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel ASAP
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank XRS_ahai
Thank you for your review, I am extremely disappointed to read your comments which are not in general keeping with the majority of our reviews and apologise that you were far from satisfied with your stay.

I would like the opportunity to demonstrate that we can do better and would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the Hotel so we can discuss how we can achieve this.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Yes, the rooms are small, but they are everywhere in London. On the plus side, this is a neat little hotel with design aspirations and a keen eye for service in a nice quiet part of Bayswater and very close to Hyde Park. The staff is really helpful and the adjacent bar/restaurant gives this hotel a more sophisticated feel that many surrounding tourist-oriented hotels simply lack. Also, I appreciated the breakfast, the well-functioning air-conditioner in mid-summer, and the toiletries in the bathroom. Some points for improvement: the mattress felt worn out, and the service/fire doors need to open/close more quietly so that those in the the adjacent rooms don't wake up with anyone passing by. Even though my room was a lower ground floor one without a view to speak of, I did enjoy my stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ottodrie
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your constructive review, we take note of your comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and pay comment to the service levels provided by the Hotel personal. This is very important to us and it is rewarding to receive comments such as these.

I do hope that we can afford you a warm welcome in the future.

Castaic, California, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We loved staying in this hotel. The rooms were very clean, all be it a bit on the small side. The location was great, right next to Hyde Park. The best part of the hotel is the staff. Everyone we encountered was very helpful, nice, courteous, and welcoming. This means a lot to people visiting a foreign country.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate your comments and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope we can welcome you again in the future.

Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 16, 2013

A comfortable, conveniently located hotel within easy walk of a tube stop, the Caesar was a good place to stay with its friendly staff--both day and night desk staff- and handsomely decorated lobby, breakfast area and our room itself. The housekeeping staff were also attentive and helpful when needed.

Although the breakfasts were not included, the continental breakfasts that we chose were delicious and artfully presented on a large table in the breakfast area. Breakfast staff were cordial and attentive to detail. We also had 1 or 2 evening meals at the restaurant. At the end of our week's stay, Mohammad and other staff were helpful in getting us a reliable taxi to the airport. A positive experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Thomas C
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found all aspects of our services to your satisfaction.

I do hope that we can welcome you again in the future.