“Solid 3-star hotel -- but asthmatics & allergic people beware”
Review of Hotel The Caesar

Hotel The Caesar
Ranked #289 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Room is clean and average, on par with the Travelodge in North America. Bathroom not luxurious in anyway; basic, but clean. Good location, about a 7 minute walk to the Paddington station (Heathrow Express, tube, railways), Bayswater tube, and Queensway tube. Beautiful old buildings in the neighborhoods, many being restored. Many shops and restaurants on Queensway three blocks away, which is the high street in the neighborhood. The staff is on the whole friendly and solicitous. The room is not well insulated and you can hear loud water pipe noises from early in the morning and people coming and going in the hallways at all hours. My big issue with the hotel is the scents. The smell of actively burning incense permeates the whole lobby. And the room itself reeks of artificial, chemical scents. I'm chemically sensitive and I was choking on the scents when I entered my small room. Thankfully, the window opens (but in a polluted and noisy city like London, this also has its downsides). But it took two days for the strong artificial scents to air out sufficiently to be able to breathe again, but then the strong chemical smells were replaced by a stuffy musty smell in the bedding and pillows, which maybe the chemicals were meant to mask. I think asthmatics and chemically sensitive people make up a sizable group of travelers; I'm surprised that the management would disregard this whole group and not warn them on the hotel website of the strong scents. Even one of the receptionists agreed that the scents were a bit over the top. If it's to your liking, fine, but if you actually get sick from it, well then it's a big problem. I travel lots, and I've never had breathing issues this bad since the LeBua in Bangkok, which also reeks of artificial smells. On the whole, for the price they charge, you can find a better deal elsewhere in a higher category hotel in equally convenient locations. After staying here, I appreciate hotels like the Fairmont all the more because they have dedicated scent-free allergy floors, where all the bedding and towels are laundered with scent-free, chemical-free detergents only; and all the cleaning supplies are scent-free.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank VancouveGlobeTrotter
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you for your review as we do value your feedback.

The scent in lobby is a company brand standard across all our Hotels and genrally well received, of course this is a personal preference, I do take your comments on board however and we will look at reviewing the strength of the scent.

All our bedlinen and towels are washed in a non scent product, which I have had re-confirmed by our laundry provider. We do use in room scents but only in moderation, we will re-brief our cleaning staff on there use for the future.

Your comments are welcomed and they have made us more aware of problems faced by guests like yourself, which will go to improving our service to all our guests.

Lee Melville

Write a ReviewReviews (2,077)

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I spent 4 nights here with my partner in a standard room. The room was clean, but there were a couple of niggles with our stay.
The noise from the corridor was quite loud. Luckily people were generally quiet, but annoyingly we could hear the fire doors opening and closing, and any words spoken in the hall were clear as a bell. If there was a loud group staying, you would be unable to sleep.
The shower ran hot and cold.
The TV did this weird thing where it would turn on in the morning all by itself. It would turn on at the welcome screen, and while there was no noise the bright light in a dark room woke us up. In the end we turned it off at the powerpoint.
In terms of location it was close to bayswater underground. For us, I thought it was a bit far from central london and all the tourist attractions. A very nice area but just a bit too long on the tube for us.
Overall I wouldn't say our stay was bad, we were generally comfortable. If the few issues I have highlighted (other than location obviously)were addressed, I think this hotel would be good value for money. Would I stay again? Maybe but I would have a good look around at other hotels.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, we do value all the feedback we receive.

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay but clearly there are areas we could improve which we will strive to address as soon as we can.

We do have some issues with our TV system and in fact we are in the process of changing/upgrading the whole system. I apolgise if this fault disturbed you.

We do hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Overall my 2 night stay here was okay, but it didn't live up to expectations.

The common/public areas are quite nice but once you get to the hallways to rooms and the rooms themselves they are quite small, tired and worn out. The standard rooms themselves are only a slight step above a Travelodge.

Given the room rate (~£115/night), there is a lot of competition for this segment of the market - next time I'm looking for a room I think I'll try the competition or go back to one of my preferred hotels in Southbank or Covent Garden areas.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to learn that you did not find your stay met with your expectations. We pride ourselves on on our service and although some standard rooms are compact we offer all the full on services of a 4 star Hotel unlike a budget Hotel brand.

I would welcome the opportunity to welcome you again and offer you a free upgrade to show you the standards of our Hotel and restore your confidence in our Hotel brand.

Please feel free to contact me directly on lmelville@derbyhotels.com to make use of this offer quoting your previous booking reference number.

I do hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had a fantastic stay, booked 2 rooms ( at a great price), both of which were upgraded at no request from me, rooms were a suitable size for single or double occupancy. any requests responded to withing minutes! Staff went out of there way to be friendly, knowledgeable and made you feel like a returning guest! I will definitely be returning to the Caesar and would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Renovated rooms have fantastic SPA bathrooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your very kind review, I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay wth us and that our efforts to ensure guest satisfaction were acheived.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We read all of the reviews about this hotel and decided to give it a try. For the price, it is a comfortable, quiet, and clean hotel. The rooms are cozy (small), but it's a boutique hotel in London and we didn't expect a palatial-sized room. The superior room with a king bed was adequate for two adults (who like each other) and it had free wifi and a decent channel selection on the t.v. The bathroom was very compact, but offered enough room to do what you need to do in a bathroom. Enough said. There were free newspapers every morning in the lobby area and the staff were friendly. We didn't eat at the restaurant for breakfast or dinner, because there are enough other options in the area for a quick cup of tea and a croissant in the morning, and there was a great pub down the street that leads to Regent's Park (left-hand side, when walking towards the park). The hotel is about half way between Paddington and Bayswater stations, so convenient. You need to walk a few blocks , but it's not bad with rollable suitcases and the street is very quiet and pretty. The only issues I had were very minor. The tea service in the room didn't get refreshed daily when the room was made up and I had to ask a couple of times for more tea and coffee. And, while it was convenient that we could leave our luggage at the hotel for a few hours on the day we checked out, it took them a while to find the correct bags again, once we asked for them. My husband and I can happily recommend this hotel and plan on visiting again next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room with a king bed for a couple. We had a room to the street, but it wasn't...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay, we do value your comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you plan to return next year.

I am sorry that you did not have your Tea/Coffee refreshed daily, this certainly should have been and your comments will be passed to our Head Housekeeper to ensure we improve on this oversight.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been coming the Caesar Hotel for many years now and like an open bottle of wine it only gets better. The only things I want to say is, why couldn't have I stayed longer. The staff there is wonderful and always very friendly, eager to please, and at your beck and call whenever you have a problem. My room was very clean, with a fresh rose at my bed side and I had plenty of room to move around which is very unusual for London standards. Just love the fact that when I come home in the evening my bed is ready for me to slip into as once. One night, I couldn't work my remote control and called the reception and simply wanted someone to example, over the phone what I was to do. But they simply came up immediately to see what the problem was and in 5 min. they had replaced the remote control. Moreover, I went to the theatre every night while I was there and never had to wait in the rain for a taxi. My experience there was excellent and there isn't a problem they can't solve. Their breakfast is wonderful and just love knowing that once I've had breakfast it carries me the whole day through. What more can I say, if you are looking for a friendly, clean, quite, stylish hotel in middle of London this is well worth the visit.

Paule

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
CaesarGM, General Manager at Hotel The Caesar, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

We thank you for for your very kind comments, like a good wine, it required great care and we we place great focus on our employees as we belive this in return deilvers great service to our guests.

I am very pleased that you keep returning and enjoy the experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Amables al cambiarnos la habitación de 'matrimonio' por una doble. Habitaciones pequeñas pero comodísimas camas, y muy gustoso edredón envolvente. Hmmmm....a dream.
El desayuno estupendo, hasta había el sano y bueno pan con tomate catalan.
La comida y cena estuvieron correctas.
Very nice staff when asked to change us the matrimonial bed for a double bedroom. Small rooms but very comfortable beds with cozy covers. Hmmm... a dream.
Breakfast was excellent, there was the healthy and good bread with tomato, catalan style.
The food for lunch and dinner was fine.

Room Tip: Pedir habitación doble cama. No de matrimonio. Ask for double bedroom (queen size) not matrimonial...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

It was pleasing to read your review and that you enjoyed your recent stay. As part of the Spanish chain - Derby Hoteks Collection we have many Spanish staff although we take great cae of the English ability to!

We hope we can welcome you back again in the future.