“Better than expected”
Review of Royal Eagle Hotel

Royal Eagle Hotel
Ranked #825 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I've seen alot of bad reviews on this hotel but decided to just go for it since it was within our budget.And boy,am i glad we chose this hotel!We got an early check in around 11am,the staffs were friendly,the room was clean,everything is just around the corner.Its only 5 mins walk from Paddington Station.And also a few Halal shops around the corner which was convineient to us!
Although the short stairs to the room was annoying,we didn't really care cause afterall,you're in London so enjoy it instead of whining about it.Oh and people who complains about wifi,its LONDON.You hardly get free wifi anywhere.There's a internet cafe just around the corner if you desperately need internet.They offer the portable wifi device at a reasonable price so there you go.
But I suggest,just enjoy the trip.Upload those pictures on Instagram or FB when you get wifi at Mcds or Starbucks.
Hopefully i'll come back to London one day and definitely staying here again :D

Room Tip: The higher floor has pretty good view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,124)

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Booked my vacation through Gate 1 travel and the hotel came with the package. I usually don't mind staying in budget hotels , but this place tested my patience (and sanity)! We stayed here for four nights July 20-24 , in the midst of the heat wave . We were given a room on the fifth floor, inaccessible by elevator as it only goes up to the 4th. I had to take the stairs dragging my luggage with me in a tiny winding staircase and only to find out when I got into the room that there isn't an AC! All they had was a dusty small fan as a means to cool down the room. Wait it just keeps getting better .... Water was shut down as I was in the middle of a shower, and when I called them and asked they didn't have a clue as to what was happening, they didn't sound apologetic and concerned at all! I called again after a few minutes and was told it'll take them a couple of hours to have it back, something about a construction going on .....this was around 8 pm . Woke up the next day , still no water . Had to buy a couple of gallons of water across the hotel to use and when I asked the receptionist about the water situation , still no clue ... This time I was really upset and told them I'll make sure il write a review in trip advisor warning all future visitors. The manager of the hotel called me after the " threat" and offered to bring us to another hotel across the street to shower . Ok, that was a nice gesture... Was thankful and thought that was the end of water problem . Went home that night after a whole day of being out in the sun and this time on top of having no water , the power was also out. Yes you get what you pay for but water and power should be bare minimum(s). You have to pay for wifi 10 pounds a day , breakfast was so so, no meat or cheeses or yogurt just bread and more bread. The only positive thing i have for the place is its proximity to Paddington station . Oh and even if you paid for wifi , you can only use one device so, if your roommate wants wifi it'll be another 10 pounds!

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank ivyb02
Reviewed July 17, 2013

After Shaftesbury Premier London Notting Hill Hotel turned us down in an ugly, unprofessional and unacceptable way, we were lucky enough to find a great deal in Royal Eagle... especially on Saturday evening.

The stuff was friendly, they've even upgraded us to a bigger room, we actually staid in the very top room - 519 - specious, with roof windows and great view (yes, you had to stand on the single bad to get your head out of the window, but it was worth it).

Specious room, with one king size and one single bad, very tidy and clean. Small bathroom, but it was not a problem, it was functional. Nice they provided us with coffee/tee/milk/sugar also with kettle and cups... thoughtful.

Pity they charge you 10 Pounds for WiFi/24haccess... now days internet should be a standard.

Because it is on the very top - in the attic - the only room there - you may hit your head in the slanting ceiling if you are not a 5 year old girl, but the room is light, bed very big and comfy, panels on the floor were much better for me than a carpet.

During hot days it is almost unbearable to stay there, there was no air condition and little fan was not much of a help, but we staid anyhow outside all day. It's a great location, just meters away from Hyde Park, Paddington station, a lot of shops around, where you can get newspapers, food and refreshments.

I would recommend this hotel, but only if you will find some nice offer on the internet, the regular prices are a bit to much in my opinion.

Room Tip: if you want to have bigger room, ask about 519 in the attic
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TJ_Piela
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Location : 2-3 mins walk to Paddington station and 5 mins to Lancaster station and Hyde Park. If you like walking, it's a good 15 mins walk to Marble Arch where the shopping street start! There are many good restaurants, fast food, souvenir shops in the area.

Staff : Most of the staff both in the front and breakfast area are nice and helpful. First we got a room on lower ground floor which was small for 3 people and noisy but we asked to change and luckily the new room they gave us is bigger and nicer. Staff also helped call and check the price with taxi services for us.

Should improve :
1. Breakfast : should have more selection
2. wifi : should provide free wifi, it is quite ridiculous that you have to pay to go online in the hotel these days!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Pongnual C
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel is alright, nothing to get excited about. It's not exactly cheap and the room I had was one of the smallest I've been in for some time, although the bathroom was more generously-proportioned. My room overlooked the main street so there was some traffic noise, but it wasn't too bad. The hotel is handily-located to Paddington Tube/Railway station, so you can get into the city centre quickly. The room was clean and the bed OK, although I did think I'd got the Shortest Bed in England until I realised the bed had actually slid under the headboard and so I had to drag it out a few inches before I was able to keep my feet from hanging over the edge (I'm not much little taller than average).
I didn't book breakfast - and the price still wasn't what you'd call a complete bargain - still, for its price and location, I might go back. The staff were friendly and helpful, which is always a plus.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room away from the main street if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ian W
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This is a typical tourist class hotel. Very clean nice staff and the breakfast is better than the other times I have been to London. Close to Paddington and Lancaster Gate. We flew to Heathrow and rode the express train to Paddington. It was an easy walk with our luggage to our hotel. I would recommend for a tourist class hotel. The staff was very helpful and again clean and a great location.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank SheriBobLove2Travel
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Before booking this hotel we didn't do much research or read it's reviews. The hotel is conveniently located approximately 5 mins walk from Paddington Station. It's an old building and although the reception area was smart, corridors were very tired looking (carpets frayed or coming away from the floor, walls scuffed etc). Our room was in the roof of the hotel and it had slanted ceilings that even I (5' 3") struggled with! The velux windows didn't open (probably health & safety), and the room was uncomfortably hot. The fan we found in a cupboard did very little to help. The room was fairly clean, but the shower was not and the grouting was cracked and nasty-looking. Bathroom was very small and not user-friendly - no hooks or storage.
The bed was very comfortable, although it did have quite a large gap in the middle where the two singles had been pushed together to make a double. The few staff we met were pleasant and helpful, and if we had needed the room for more than just a few hours we would certainly have asked to be moved to a better room. We didn't have any meals at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013