“Lovely stay”

Ranked #831 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We came for one night for our first anniversary. Really nice lobby and reception, decent rooms, although a little hot! We booked a twin by accident but the staff were more than happy to help and switched rooms for us. We ended up in a 5 bed mezzanine room with floor to ceiling windows which was lovely. Located near to paddington tube station was handy to get around for us as have not had much experience in London or the underground!

The only negative was it was noisy at night with the traffic passing and was too hot. But very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
South West UK
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Booked this through Lastminute.com at short notice; it is a short walk from Paddington station, and it's clean, but it's all downhill from there. It was obvious as soon as I got to the floor my room was on that the Royal Eagle is undergoing renovation in a major way; the corridor reeked of paint fumes, and the smoke detector in my room is still covered with masking tape! I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door so that I could get up at my leisure this morning without being disturbed by the cleaning staff, but I was disturbed by a furious hammering on my door anyway; I opened it to find a man in paint-splattered overalls saying that he had to turn the water off in my room, something he assured me would take two minutes but took ten times that because he hadn't brought the right tools with him. If a big renovation project is going on, inform your customers in advance so that they can decide whether or not to stay there anyway - but do NOT expect them to pay the standard rate for substandard service! Oh, and if you're away on business be careful; yes, there is wi fi available, but the Royal Eagle charges ten pounds a day for it, a fact that is not made clear on the hotel's website - which is fairly outrageous given that I have stayed in several London hotels that were cheaper than this one and did not charge for their wi fi.

This is a superbly located hotel, and if everything had worked properly I would have enjoyed my stay a great deal more; as it is, I have a headache from breathing paint fumes, and next time I come to London I'll be staying elsewhere. Oh, and despite the fact that my stay was pre-paid I was asked for my credit card number anyway "for security purposes" - so you can bet I'll be checking my card statements even more carefully than usual.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank blackdahlia
Lichfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

have just come back from a weekend in London and we stayed at the royal Eagle Hotel, close to Paddington station so makes it easyto travel around. Rooms comfortable for what you pay for, though bathroom small in size. had two double beds which were two singles pushed together which made sleeping interesting.
The staff were very helpful ans assited in getting taxi's to the west end and made sure we got back okay.
Breakfast was okay enough for want we needed as a mother and tow young children

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Caroline H
Ferrara, Italy
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We spent here 5 nights in March 2012. The service is quite good, as we expected, but when we saw the room we couldn't believe how it was possible for the housekeepers to clean it! It was so tiny that we had problems not only to store our luggage but even moving in the room, that it was supposed to be a double room...anyway it was only for a few days and we spent all the time outside. We booked it from a travel agency in Italy with a good deal but when we checked the prices we found them quite expensive for the service. Good point: location. Just few minutes from the tube and 10 minutes walk from Hyde Park.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Have stayed at this Hotel on numerous occasions now, its location is ideal as you are less than a 5 minute walk from Paddington Train station and Paddington Tube station.

I have always found the hotel staff to be friendly and helpful and the rooms are as other people have said small, but the rooms that I have stayed in have always been very clean and comfortable, with refurbished rooms and bathrooms.

Never had problems with hot water or showers, except on one occasion when a mains pipe was hit during building work down the road, but the staff offered me to use their sister hotel facilities until the problem was fixed.

For the price you pay for this hotel which is £50-£80 per night for a double bed room, it is ideal if you are working in London or are staying in London on a budget, I think it is well worth the value. For people on here that moan about what you get, for the price you pay, then you really need to be realistic, it is London, one of the most expensive cities in the world.

My personal view, I have always found this hotel to be clean, comfortable and never had any problems with noise. I can not comment on the food or bar at the hotel as I have never used them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank TripMember08192015
London
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were in London for a citytrips and stayed two night at the Royal Eagle Hotel. Our stay was very pleasant, the people were friendly. The rooms were tidy, but smaller than we expected. Some things were ready to be replaced, such as the soap shelf, shower screen. The beds had springs but were okay, but a bit short.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank William A