“A Shadow of Its Former Glory”
Review of Royal Eagle Hotel

Royal Eagle Hotel
Ranked #819 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My experience of this hotel is that the name implies a grander and more elegant property as indeed one can deduce from the entrance and the reception and public areas. on the other hand, though the rooms seem to have been refurbished recently and they are clean yet they are of shoebox dimension! The standards and level of quality of London Hotels at this standard are soemwhat poor and leave alot to be desired.

Room Tip: The internal rooms overlook a shaft and other rooms
There are newer reviews for Royal Eagle Hotel

Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel I used on business trips to london.
Cost of the rooms are good value.I stayed for 4 days at a time.
Rooms clean and well presented,some of the rooms are very small but what I like about the hotel any problems the staff will fix it.
Good around services.Location great heart of the town easy access to Oxford Street/Hyde park/Park lane and other attraction etc.

Room Tip: just ask for a double on the ground floor if possible
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had 2 rroms both a disgrace, yes the rooms are refurbished, and nice linen as the manager emphasised but one room next to lift shaft the other next to the delivery door, delivery came at between 6 and 6.30 am so lots of banging and loud people. Complaining did no good as the manager wrote to me, signed it as THE MANAGEMENT, very unprofessional, was not gramatically correct and accused us as paying customers as lying about the whole situation! Breakfast was not great and the rooms are very small! The lady on the reception was very apologetic and understood that this was an issue from other customers put in the basement rooms, however the male reception staff who dealt with me was very rude, even to the point of telling me it was my fault he had to put us in the basement rooms!!!!! NEVER WOULD I STAY HERE AGAIN AND NEVER WOULD I RECOMMEND IT! I stay in London montly and I thought this would make a nice change! How wrong could I be.

Room Tip: Easy - go to the Norfolk Plaza - nearer Paddington station with a better quality of service
2  Thank mourby
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Pleasant three night stay in a clean well located hotel. Although small the rooms were comfortable and cosy and adequate. I have stayed in other hotels in the area with even smaller rooms and you will not find larger rooms for the price which represents good value. Staff efficient courteous and friendly.
Did not have breakfast in hotel instead tried the excellent food offered by the cafe's across the road. Substantial breakfst from around £5.50. The immediate area has a wide selection of restaurants, snack bars etc.
Great base from which to explore London, sightseeing, shopping, shows etc.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank timeagain
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was to make it short ok. Not more, not less.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms looked new and felt clean - but some will call them small. The location is great! Thats the best with the Royal Eagle.

On the negativ side. The breakfast was in my view realy bad. At least the one that were included in our price. Thats another thing thats bad. The lack of information. Almost everything that you wanted to know.was Hard to find out.

All and all, i could stay here for a few days, but not more than that.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I spent my weekend in London at the beginning of September at this hotel because its very close to one of London's main train stations and therefore I could get to all the main attractions and landmarks easily by the tube. My stay at the hotel was quite satisfactory although I have to admit that there were some things that I was not very pleased with. Firstly, the television in our room did not work well, we had to spend a long time arranging the plugs and wires ourselves in order to get good transmission. Secondly, although we were staying in a double room it was quite small, but that did not matter much to us because we rarely spent a lot of time in our room except to go to sleep! Furthermore, the hallways were always very noisy and on our first night we could hear all the noises being made by the holidaymakers on the floor above us. Other than all this, the staff were reasonably helpful and courteous and the general atmosphere is a pleasant one. I would recommend this hotel for people who are going to London for the sights and do not plan to spend a majority of their day in their hotel room. Personally though, I feel that the prices were quite expensive compared to the quality of the stay.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel whilst on business in London.
I arrived late in the evening and was greeted by friendly courteous staff. I had booked a double room but was travelling on my own. I was offered a free upgrade which I was surprised at but gladly took it. I made my way to the room and after working my way through the warren of hallways and landings eventually found the room (510).
After having been upgraded from a regular double room I was expecting something a bit better, I have to say that the room was tiny so small in fact that I dread to think how small the other room was! In order to get to the wardrobe I had to climb over the bed as the bed was so tight to the wall I could not get past.
Everyone these days has the need to use the sockets in a hotel room be it to charge a phone or plug in a laptop. I searched the room from top to bottom trying to locate a socket. I eventually found one when I got down on my hands and knees. The only way to get at it was to pull out a small corner unit and then get back on my knees to plug my charger in!!
Bathroom was perfect, large and spacious with a big shower and all mod cons. Shower could be more powerful but did the job.
The bed in the room although a double was in fact two singles pushed together which had a tendency to drift slightly apart before the clasps would tighten and hold them in place. Very annoying. Temperature in the room for me was perfect and the room itself being on the 5 th floor was very quite.
I didn't eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the food. The hotel is located 5 minutes walk from Paddington tube / train station. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs in the area so you will be spoilt for choice. It's very central for almost everything in London. Looking at its general daily rates I don't think that I would stay here. I got a deal on the hotel through a late booking website. The hotel although practical for my needs the room size let it down.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business