“Maybe it is just me, but...”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Barry House

Barry House
Ranked #86 of 575 London B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Maybe it is just me, but...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We had booked this hotel for a one night's stay in London -- mainly because we had trusted the overall decent TripAdvisor reviews. As it turned out, something is wrong either with my personal experience of this place or the more recent reasonable reviews. But I leave that to you to judge.

Both when we arrived early evening and left at around 7.30am in the morning, the reception was not open. In fact, the counter was literally shut by a roller shutter. On both occasions, we had to ring a bell a couple of times until someone turned up. The person who finally appeared seemed pretty relaxed and happy with the world although they barely looked at us or said "hello". Overall, I found it hard to strike a conversation or ask a question because they were either of a very quiet nature or (more likely) barely spoke English.

The wireless two-word password was scribbled among lots of numbers and half-written guest names in a tattered notebook. (I assume it's guest names since also ours was among them, although misspelled at least twice despite online booking). The clerk could not help us finding out how (and in which order!) the two words actually fit together, but we eventually found out ourselves after a bit of experimentation.

The room was OK, although the furniture and interior design reminded me more of a scrappy yard sale collection. But that is probably my own bad taste, so no worries about that. The bathroom seems to have been recently renovated so that was very good, except for a layer of dust on some of the appliances, although I admit that might be regarded nit-picking, given the bigger picture.

What I ultimately blew it for me personally was the strange smell in the hallway and room. I am not an expert, so I might well be wrong, but to me the room smalled damp and kind of musty. Maybe it's in the carpet, maybe it's in the walls. I simply don't know. We kept the window open all night, but it did not go away.

Unfortunately, the smell in the hallway was not much better. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of freshly cooked and spicy food, but somehow this smell was penetrant when we arrived in the evening and still there when we left in the morning. My first thought was that there must be a restaurant kitchen in the same building, but I could not find one.

We did not have a chance to try the breakfast. It is from 8-9 am only, and if you have to leave only a bit earlier, you will have to leave without it (if you can find someone to return your keys to, that is). I guess that most travellers will be in a similar situation with such a short time slot so it might be more honest for the owner to not offer an "alibi breakfast" to justify higher prices at.

PS: When you look up "Barry House" on Google Maps, you easily find it in the right position -- but surprisingly with the URL "lindenhousehotel.com"‎ attached to it. Turns out that "Linden House Hotel" is right next to "Barry House Hotel". Since it is hard to imagine that anyone would link to their competitor on a search engine, I assume that both "Linden House" and "Barry House" are run by the same owner. Now have a look at the "Linden House Hotel" reviews. Surprised? As I said, I may get it completely wrong here, but please make up your own mind.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
18 Thank arthur_kipps
barryhousehotel, Owner at Barry House, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Naturally I am disappointed with the poor rating you have chosen to give us. As you know we are a B&B rather than a full service hotel and so do not have a night reception service. I or a member of my family are here for most of the day and make it a point to offer a friendly welcome. With regards to the breakfast time the 8am start is suitable for most of our leisure guests. If you let us know the night before we can offer breakfast from 7.30am.
Unfortunately Google has mixed up the entries of all three B&B's on Sussex Place - although we have informed them several times. We are not connected with Linden House Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed as a couple for 8 nights early June. It is a family run B&B with friendly and helpful owners, able to organise tickets to the theatre and lots of other activities. It is very central to Hyde Park, Paddington station, tubes, heaps of restaurants, reasonable prices and surprisingly very quiet! I will definitely try to stay there again when I get to London next :) Thanks Bobby !

Room Tip: We had the roo, on the first floor, no problems!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juanita H
, Owner at Barry House, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here at Barry House. Your comments are much appreciated. It was indeed a pleasure to serve you and we look forward to seeing you again some time.
All the Best, Bobby Bhasin, Owner/Manager
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

We (3 adults) stayed in this B&B hotel for 5 nights in early June. The location is rather conveniently located as many reviewers have already mentioned. But there're plenty of B&B hotels around this area, some of which are even nearer to the station so I wouldn't say it's fantastic to be honest.

There's no lift in this hotel (kinda expected) and no porter service so be prepared if you're carrying 20+kg luggage bags with you moving up the stairs!

The WIFI service is easy to connect and pretty fast speed. Air-conditioning worked fine. Simple English breakfast everyday - no changes in the menu.

The only problem we have is the ROOM. The room size is far too small for 3 adults. It's probably less than 20 m sq. including the on-suite bathroom. We have to jump across our luggage bags to move around in the room!! The pillows are too soft and mattresses are quite aged.

Room Tip: Do not take the high floors if you've problem carrying the luggage bags up the stairs. Ask the h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Edmund_1971
barryhousehotel, Owner at Barry House, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Barry House. Your feedback is valuable as we take on board suggestions from guests. I am sorry you found the room a little small. We do offer assistance to guests with their luggage.All the best, Bobby Owner/Manager.
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed as a family group of four adults over Jubilee weekend. The position is ideal, being a short walk away from Paddington and Hyde Park. As others have said, the owners and staff went out of their way to help and we were always greeted with a smile by all the staff.

We all thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and if we wanted more of anything, we just had to ask.

We stayed in Room 32, the family room, Bearing in mind that this is a B&B, I would class the rooms as large, especially by London standards - there is no need to turn sideways to get past beds or furniture. The bathroom was excellent. The suite was modern (it looked newly fitted), there was lots of room to move around and the shower was large enough not to hit your elbows on the walls when using it (very unusual for London!). The only downside was that it was on the third floor.

I see some reviewers have referred to dated decor. It is not chic, but that is a bonus in my view, and it is certainly not shabby. We found it homely, comfortable, clean and tidy.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Barry House to anyone who wants a place to stay in London that is clean, comfortable, convenient and good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
All the Best, Bobby Bhasin, Owner/Manager
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

This Hotel,B and B is a great place to stay. I was there for 8 days recently and recommend this venue to anyone visiting London seeking modest and reasonably priced accommodation. It is centrally located in an attractive neighborhood just a 2 block walk from Hyde Park in one direction and 2 block walk from Paddington Station in the other.The room while small is more than adequate for one person and contains all the amenities including: cable TV, WIFI, 3 piece bathroom, daily room service et al. I looked forward to starting the day with a full English breakfast. The owners were very pleasant and helpful in responding to my questions about London.They have an excellent relationship with the theaters and were able to procure 3 reasonably priced tickets for me to a major production on less than a day's notice.
Barry's Hose is located in a tall narrow building with no room for a lift. If you are booked into one of the rooms on the upper floors and have difficulty climbing stairs this hotel is not for you. However, rooms on the first or second floor should be fine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
barryhousehotel, Owner at Barry House, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Barry House. Your comments are appreciated. I was glad to be able to help you out with the theatre tickets. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again sometime.
Best wishes, Bobby Bhasin
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

We chose the Barry House based on it's location and price. It's a short and easy walk to Paddington Station and to Hyde Park. Our first night was in a room on the top floor. The stairs to get to the top floor aren't for the faint-hearted, but the room was very quiet and had a great view. For our remaining nights, we were on the 2nd floor. The bathroom was larger than our first room and nice renovated. The breakfasts were good as was the breakfast service. The owner/manager was always very personable and helpful when we saw him each day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
barryhousehotel, Owner at Barry House, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Barry House. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. Yes indeed our Budget Rooms are located on the 4th floor and this is reflected in the lower price. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and do hope to see you again sometime.
Best wishes, Bobby Bhasin