““Beware of the thief””
Review of Whiteleaf Hotel

Whiteleaf Hotel
Ranked #1,013 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 7, 2011

In my search for accommodation near Hyde Park my mind was focused on clean, safe and budget Bed and Breakfast accommodation. My purpose for being in London was to attend an intensive seminar during the day and later into the evening. I knew this would leave me tired and ready for bed when I returned. It being my first visit to this area I thought it best to pre book accommodation. So before I left home in Ireland I booked a B/B from the internet that reviewed and looked OK.(sadly not tripadviser.ie) Luckily, I didn’t give a deposit because I ran from there as quickly as I arrived, it really was a kip.
I walked a short distance down the street to Whiteleaf. The reception area seemed nice and the receptionist was friendly. Although I didn’t see the room because it was not ready the receptionist showed me a look alike. Happy with the value I made the booking with full payment. I trusted the receptionist enough to leave my bag in his safe keeping until my return in the evening. Whiteleaf was perfect walking distance to the venue where the seminar was being held.
Returning at approximately 8pm I was disappointed with my assigned 10foot by 8foot box room, not at all like the room I was shown and not en-suite. Being tired and exhausted I was happy that the bed had spotless clean sheets. A smell of dirty feet filled the air every now and again. Making myself comfortable I checked if it was safe to leave the window open, which I did and got into bed and fell asleep only later to be awoken with noise that I thought was outside my door but was in fact the noise and breath of a man with his head in my window. Jumping up and shouting at him to “get out” he let go of the window sill that he was hanging on by and disappeared making a soft thud noise as he landed on the flat roof below. I sat on the bed for a moment in disbelief. When I got courage I looked out the window and saw the man crawling in a window to the hotel, that window lead on to a stairs landing below my room. Looking down from my room window the flat roof and window was approximately 15 to 20 foot drop. Before going to sleep I had checked this and presumed it was safe to leave the window open.

In shock, bemused and in disbelief I got the courage to leave the room and report to reception. Not alone was I in shock, bemused and nervously looking for support I was further shocked that I was laughed at and made to feel I was dreaming. I was also told that it was my imagination.

My inner strength is not quick to fear or am I easily alarmed, in fact in the immediate aftermath I laughed at the incident to family and friends. Proof of my strength, some would say foolishness, is that I stayed a further two nights in Whiteleaf much against my husband, son’s and daughter’s orders to get out. Twelve months on the joke has become fear and has changed my attitude to sleeping with the window open or the light off. I realized my fear of sleeping with the light off and or the window open when on my own. Yes I am now scared and I know this could happen in other hotels; however, I would never stay or recommend Whiteleaf to others. To this day I am left wondering was the thief known to those in charge, with their flippant response I intuitively felt this happened before.
I think if I had to get support at the time and if responsible people in charge of Whiteleaf had to show concern this incident would not have left its mark so deeply embedded in my psychic. The message I take from this is that irresponsible ownership and workers of Whiteleaf do not care for their customer’s health but are happy to take their money.
Beware of the thief who may visit you if you stay at Whiteleaf.
• Stayed 2010, travelled solo

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank patchandted

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Our family went for a 10 days holliday in October. At Whiteleaf hotel we were met by a staff that were very helpfull. Very serviceminded and always there for us. The familyroom was spaceious with nice beds and bathroom with both shower and tub. The rates are very good compared to other hotels in the area.
In the evening they serve a lovely Indian buffet. The hotel is one-minute walk form the tube and five-minute walk from busstop towards Piccadilly Circus, with many stops at Oxford street. Perfect location for a walk in Hyde Park and Queensway.
So thank you to Malik and the rest of the staff for a nice plasant stay! We will recommend this hotel to family and friends:-)

Room Tip: Room 307 good spaceious room for 4
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
16  Thank Ada S
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The receptionist gave us an apartment a few blocks from the hotel instead of the four-bed room we had booked. The hotel was full and the condition was that we wrote a revju from the stay. So here it comes.
We got a good impression of the receptionist. He promised us a lovely, large apartment instead of the 4 bed room we had booked, and of course for the price of the room. He ordered the taxi that drove us up to the apartment that was on the corner of Bishop's Bridge Road and Westbourne terrace.
It was a beautiful building and the apartment was great, but the apartment was really overdue. Furniture that was about to fall apart. The white / gray wall to wall carpet that was laid in all rooms except the kitchen and the bathroom was really dirty and did not invited to take off the shoes. in several areas had the painting crackled was about too fall off. The kitchen was dirty, it needed a proper washdown. It was among other things, full of frying fat on the walls around the stove and microwave oven. The bathroom showed signs of filling and cracked tiles.
With proper brushing up they could easily rented out to a much higher price.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Willi I
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My husband and I made our bookings well in advance for our trip to london and were allocated a great room. We loved it..The room was a good size and very good en-suite facilities, spotlessly clean. The shower was good and a decent size. A very good, wide ranging buffet service is available. I personally loved the Indian Chicken biryani. Staff were extremely helpful, multi-lingual. Manager was very nice as he helped us a lot by giving us information about london and where to go sightseeing. My husband had meetings here hence i had to travel alone. The booklets provided to me by the manager were extremely helpful. The service in this hotel is excellent. Reception staff couldn't have been more helpful. Maps are provided and seemingly all queries however obscure tackled.The hotel is in a great location not far from bayswater station (central london) but in a quiet street with a small range of shops, bars and restaurants. Has the feel that it is becoming quite a trendy area. Very close to bus routes and metro stations only a few blocks away.
We would thoroughly recommend this hotel - and would love to go back.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
15  Thank SYEDA S
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I stayed in room 101 for 3 nights.
Hotel location was very good. Bayswater tube station is just around the corner, so is Hyde Park.
There was no issue with booking (I booked via booking.com). A small surprise was that when I arrived, I was told if I pay by credit card I will be charged 5% extra. This is rare for hotel in my opinion.
Staff were nice. Malik the GM was very helpful.
Room was okay. It's small but it is in London, next to Hyde Park, close to the tube. So I would say price was reasonable. The building is old, so of course there is noise, but not much. My room was clean. Some small problems: one light didn't work all the time. TV channels are close to zero, with really bad signal, and malfunctioned remote control. In my opinion it should not be counted as "TV available". The blanket was a bit too thin for the weather.
Wi-fi was good. However it got a bit slow in the evening, when everyone is back.
In general, it met my expectation.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
10  Thank Romichen
Reviewed October 5, 2011

If you just need a place to stay for the night, this place will be just adequate. It has the basic stuff you would need for the night and it is very close to the underground station and plenty of restaurant and convenient stores. Besides, I would also like to say that the service and help is excellent, especially from the hotel manager A.Malik. He has helped us alot during our stay and is very polite.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Ariel3838
Reviewed September 29, 2011

have the basics stuffs if your needs are to have good place to sleep in London .doesnt have luxeries but it works if your objective its enjoy the city of London .in my stay the manager A.Malik always helped me with all the things that i need . the rooms are small but the hotel is not expensive so it worth it

Room Tip: the secon floor its really good
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family