“Francine & Guy”
Review of The Byron Hotel

The Byron Hotel
Ranked #538 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had a very good stay at the Byron Hotel : everything and everywhere was very clean. Friendly staff. Good room and bathroom.
We were very satisfied. We could have a real english breakfast and the coffee was excellent.
We recomment this Hotel for people who wants to visit London. Its an area very quite and so we could rest after the busy town.
We come again if we can. Thank you for every thing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review about the Byron Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and found the entire hotel to be very clean. I am even more pleased that you enjoyed out traditional English breakfast.

Once again our great location, highly rated customer service and good rooms has combined well to offer you a great experience at the Byron Hotel.

Now we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our choice for Hotel Byron was perfect for us. My step-daughter and I had a total of 13 nights to spend in London for sightseeing. The location was amazing! The hotel is very close to Kensington-/Hyde Park, only a few minutes away from 2 major tube stations and even closer to bus station, with lines that bring you to every location you wish to visit. Also close by are internet facilities, ticket brokers, money changers and great restaurants including the "Black Lion Pub" which already has the Trip Advisor Recommended Sticker (well deserved).
Despite all that, the location is quiet and safe. The Hotel already looks welcoming from outside and doesn't disappoint when you enter. A lovely little reception with lots of brochures, a coffee-/tea maker and water dispenser invites to wait and chat a bit with the friendly manager or receptionist.
The room was small but just as welcoming, with everything we needed. Practical, with charm. From the coffee/tea making facility stored in the dressing table, to the flat screen TV on the wall, shower gel and shampoo, lovely bath/toilet, small and big towels, to the safe in the wardrobe and the trouser pressing machine. The beds are so comfortable - we miss them now.
The floors creak but hey - it's Victorian! We took it with humour and pride.
For breakfast you need to sign in your preferred time at the reception. - No problem for us. The restaurant serves a good range of small breads, juices, cereals, jams, honey, peanut butter, salami, jam and cheese slices, canned fruits and yoghurts. Additionally you can chose between white or brown toast and coffee or tea. If you'd like an egg or a traditional English Breakfast, you need to pay extra though. So we just went out once to saviour it in one of the great locations close by. The staff and service is quick, efficient and charming! The waitresses are also your room maids, which gave us a specially warm and well cared for feeling, that no grand hotel can provide.
1 hour WI-FI per day is free. As I love to be independent, I preferred to buy a "dongle" plus 1 GB net time, which was much cheaper in the long run than pay for additional WI-FI time at the hotel. All depends on how often and during what hours you'd love to be online.
All in all we were very happy there and would recommend it whole heartedly to our friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I was absolutely thrilled to read your detailed feedback following your stay with us. I was delighted that you and your step-daughter enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for recommending us to your friends.
I have passed on your kind words to my brilliant team. Please do come back to stay with us again in the near future and season’s greetings to you.

Carmen Gomez

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Excellent central location- ideal for visiting the sites. Really handy for the tube. Friendly staff. Great breakfast. Room ok although windows in bathroom mouldy and in need of a clean. We paid £170 for a double room with breakfast - other options in London with better VFM

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the Byron Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our central Location which is convenient when visiting London and most of all you were able to enjoy our cooked English breakfast which is so popular with our guests. I’ve also taken note of your comments regarding bathroom windows and please rest assured that this is being followed up.

I’d like to inform you that we keep running offers on our website www.capricornhotels.co.uk were you can get the best available rates for the Byron hotel and as a valued guest I hope to welcome you back soon and make sure you get the best VFM.

Kind Regards,
Carmen Gomez

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The room is excellent: very clean, nice bathroom, roomy shower and a comfortable bed. The room is very small with a tiny TV awkwardly mounted on the wall (but who is going to london to watch TV?). The breakfast was just ok, and you had to schedule a time with the front desk (this was very odd as the breakfast room was never crowded). The location is not ideal for tourists, but ideal for anyone who is a runner; it is very close to the park. You are just a few blocks from a tube stop. Also, you can walk to Paddington station for the Heathrow express if you pack lightly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review about the Byron Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our location which is so close to Hyde Park and all the major shopping districts of London. The two metro stations near the hotel connect you to upto 123 different locations in London and Paddington station is a short walk were you can catch the Heathrow express.
I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back at the Byron Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

my days at the Byron Hotel were super. great service, friendly staff, great breakfast. atmospheric hotel. the rooms were also very nice. good beds,very clean. if i come back to london, i go to the Byron hotel.
thats for sure. close to the underground, a quiet street. close to lots of sights.
you feel like a welcome guest.

Room Tip: we slept on the lower ground at the street side, no sound so i think every room is a good choise
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear Rogier S,

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review about the Byron hotel following your Recent stay with us.

I was so happy that you had a great stay with us and that they liked the hotel, the location and most importantly the service.

I look forward to welcoming them back in the near future.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I booked this hotel for myself and 3 others at the last minute without the time for the usual research. However I took a chance on the rooms being to the description and took confidence from the pictures advertised on the hotel website. I booked the room as per the online offer of free breakfast and Wi-Fi.

On entering the hotel on check in I had to haggle to get the breakfast that was included, I was told only 2 rooms included the offer 2 did not??? I explained that I had booked 4 Rooms in total all at exactly £89??? After an uncomfortable conversation we were all given continental breakfast in substitute for free Wi-Fi. The warm welcoming experience developed even further on entering the room. The Byron website advertises that the hotel has been recently and in bold “refurbished”, the trouble is what they don’t tell you is what their idea of recently is because if it has been refurbished it wasn’t in this century.... On returning to the hotel after an enjoyable evening in London, I lay awake all of the night due to the noise from the hotels Air Handling Equipment directly outside my rusting framed window.

At 6am I thought the best thing I can do is pack up and end this awful experience and try not to allow others be misled.

People often say that if a hotel is only for a night’s stay, as long as you have a bed in a clean room and it is affordable then that is all you need. Unfortunately this experience only past the last of those requirements. I have enjoyed far greater experiences and stayed in far superior hotels in London for similar money. Unfortunately for me repeating this was unavailable at the last minute. If I had to state a single positive on my experience, it would have to be on the feeling I had when I closed the hotels Front door behind me never to return.

Sorry to sound so negative but please give the Byron a miss!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank steven r
CapricornHotels, Front Office Manager at The Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Steven r,

I thank you for posting a review about the Byron Hotel.

I was most disappointed to read about your negative experiences. Please be assured that our management take these comments very seriously and I would like to thank you for bringing these matter to my attention.

After carrying out a thorough investigation, we found that you made two separate bookings for 2 rooms each from a third party booking website. The second booking which you made was not on a special offer that’s why on arrival our reception staff made you aware of this and offered complimentary breakfast for the other 2 rooms.

I was concerned to read that you were dissatisfied with your room on this occasion due to noise from air handling equipment. We have highlighted the issue with our maintenance team and it is being looked into. We do have quite a range of room categories that generally cater for most tastes and I am sure we can arrange for a room to meet your specific needs.

It is disappointing for any stay to end on a low note, and even more so to learn that you would not consider returning to Byron Hotel but I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service at The Byron Hotel.

I once again apologise for any inconvenience and do hope you will visit us again and experience the stay in our other room types.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Hi Stayed here on the 1 December 2012 very central location just of the Bayswater Road close to the Queensway and Bayswater tube stations 5 min walk so good connections for central and circle lines
hotel is clean and well presented our room was a bit small but the bed was really comfy and had everything that you needed. breakfast is continental but you can upgrade to a full English breakfast for £7.95 which is a bit expensive for what you get that was the downside but at the end of the day there is enough around the Queensway area to suit all pallets. so if your looking for nice hotel for a weekend visit cant go far wrong with thin one.

Room Tip: if arriving into Paddington Railway station go to circle line south Bayswater Tube 5 min walk
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank simon224

Dear Simon,

Thank you for taking the time to write such great feedback following your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our great location and your overall stay with us.

I thank you for recommending us and look forward to welcome you back at the Byron Hotel.