“The most regrettable hotel experience that I can think of.”
Review of K West Hotel & Spa

K West Hotel & Spa
Ranked #259 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Warwick
“The most regrettable hotel experience that I can think of.”
Reviewed July 30, 2006

The photo's of the hotel are lovely and it looks a very nice clean cut modern and stylish hotel. The website is quite classy in a very low key kind of way.

The room was excellent. It was the Embassy Suite and came with a nice widescreen tv, Bose DVD player and PS2. The bed was a kingsize and faced the window which ran the length of the room. There was a dining room table with two chairs. The sofa was positioned against the wall with the longest part of the table opposite. The bathroom was small but well designed. There was a fridge in the room.

The hotel states it is near Kensington and Notting Hill and these are in walking distances. This is a stretch if I am honest as it is plainly in Shepherds Bush which is ok but not where I would be paying this kind of money for a hotel.

I booked using a credit card. It was in fact the wrong credit card and I made a mistake. The day of our arrival we got a call stating my credit crad had been declined. Quite why they were using my credit card without my presence I do not know. I presumed at the time they were trying to have the money on my credit card allocated. I expected my credit card to be declined as I have a low limit and as stated I used the wrong one. I gave the woman the correct card details and she confirmed that that went through fine.

Several hours passed and we turned up at the hotel and gave the Russian receptionist my card. She then ran it through again and it declined. I checked my bank by phone and I had ample credit. I asked a good friend to check online for me and again they confirmed the same. The receptionist then produced a WAD of receipts for VARIOUS amounts all confirming that my card had been declined. SOme of these had been done at my request but the majority had not been done.

It was at this moment that TWO GUESTS came up to me and said they have had the same thing happen but despite the card being declined the transaction had gone through. They also stated that the Hotel actually is not charging my card but trying to allocates the money on my card to them so that I can't spend it but the interesting thing is they do it twice. Why I don't know but they do and thats why it hits the credit limit so if you have little credit left or a small limit you will have this problem. The following day I used the SAME credit card to pay the balance with NO problems. This was not a problem with my card but a problem with the way the Hotel book. Unfortunately I didn't take the name of the original person who called me and ran my credit card through successfully and of course no one knew who it was.

I stood at the desk for 45 minutes arguing with them and they could do nothing to help me. They would allow me to pay using a debit card. After allowing me to do this, they upgraded our room and gave us free water and fruit (4 apples).

The room was lovely but if any of you know of the heat in the UK in July you may remember it was mid 30's and therefore very very hot. The broken fridge and almost non existant air con obviously didn't endear the Hotel to me.

We ordered room service which was excellent it must be said and the breakfasts which are over priced are really very good. Despite this, my stay in the hotel is one that I regret.

• Liked — The room itself and the food.
  • Disliked — Lack of air con and the apalling way the front desk books the room.
  • Tips/Secrets — Not to go to this hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Armchairhero

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, England
Reviewed July 30, 2006

I stayed at K West Hotel & Spa this weekend and absolutely loved it. The design was extremely cool and staff were really friendly and helpful - it's also such an amzing place for people watching. I had an hour massage and also used the PowerPlate in the gym. I thought the spa was one of the best I've ever been to and I can't wait to go back for another visit. The room was much larger than other hotel rooms I've stayed in in London and the bed was huge. Perfect for a romantic break away!

• Liked — The design
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MissEmmaThomas
Portland, OR
Reviewed July 6, 2006

We had assumed that the lower rate relative to comparable hotels (~£130 / night) was indicative of the hotels location. Unfortunately, the quality of the room and common areas left much to be desired. If you're looking for a nice place to stay... take the hit and pay for a better hotel.

The location is not horrible, only a few tube stops away from some good restaurants and shopping.

Our room (deluxe king) was spacious, and the linens were clean. The bathroom, however, was disgusting. Add to that some worn-down low-end Ikea type furnature.

The weather was warm in London... and the AC unit in our room was unable to provide adequate cooling. The common areas offered no refuge- as they appeared to be not air conditioned at all.

Overall- we'd give the room a C-. We won't be back.

Stayed July 2006
6 Thank mjpetkun
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We were very disappointed with our stay at the KWest Hotel in London.
My wife and I were on our way back to San Francisco after our
two-week honeymoon in Greece. We specifically selected the KWest Hotel
based on its 4star recommendation as we wanted to stay somewhere nice on
the last night of our honeymoon.

We arrived at KWest at around 10:30 at night, needing a shower and some
rest. When we turned on the water in our room, it made a horrible,
vibrating sound -- like someone had turned on a garbage disposal. After
the sound did not go away, we called management.

They said they would be right up to take a look. After 30 minutes, the
manager on duty finally came to our room. Because we still were unable
to take a shower, or rest, we asked to be switched to another room while
they dealt with the problem. They offered us a smoking room with twin
beds.

I told them that was unacceptable and that I did not intend to pay more
than $250 for a smoking room with twin beds. Amazingly, they finally
"found" an acceptable room -- at about midnight.

The sound the water made in our room was horrendous. The fact that
hotel management did not try to make amends for this until they were
forced is even worse. I will never stay here again and I wouldn't
recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Myself and 10 friends recently stayed at the K West hotel as part of their advertised "Hen Package". Our stay started well, having been greeted by the manager and welcomed to the hotel. One member of our party had booked for day spa, but then decided to stay the night and paid the £35 extra person charge to stay in an occupied room. As the rest of the party had been given a voucher for a glass of champagne, we asked if she too could have one - but this was flatly refused, despite the fact that we were spending £125 on lunch at the time. Eventually the manager agreed (extremely reluctantly) to give an extra glass of champagne. We then headed to the spa for our afternoon experience, to find a very small spa area consisting of a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna, and 5 sun loungers. We were not the only hen party, so the area was extremely small for over 20 people with inadequate space to relax. The chemicals coming off the jacuzzi were also very strong, and so a number of our group had to leave. On a plus point, the treatments on the whole were very good (although the nail polish used for manicures and pedicures seemed to run off easily). Most upsetting however was the fact that at 4am the next morning 2 men were allowed to check into the hotel with a woman, and on going to their room proceeded to shout, argue and make a lot of noise. On hearing screams from the woman, members of our party called reception, but then the men tried to find out which room had complained and stood outside their room for some time, making our party scared & unable to sleep. On raising this with the duty manager the next day, he was completely disinterested and refused to give us any refund until he had spoken to the general manager the next day, and would not guarantee not charging to the credit cards given at the time of check in. It took nearly 2 hours to resolve, when finally he agreed to our original request of a discount off the package price, but still failing to apologise for the poor service and most importantly the upset caused.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2006

Arriving at the hotel I didn't receive the urgent message my husband had sent me by email. Never got it until the end of my stay, although asking them to check their email for it. The room was definitely too small for 1 person - note that this was supposed to be a double room ! Additionally the room definitely needed refreshing. Bad smell at times. Air condition didn't cool down enough for summer weather. No minibar in the room. There was a hairdryer but no possibility to plug it in in the bathroom - had to use it in the bedroom where the mirror was placed too high to use it (unless you 're 170 cm or taller).
Although breakfast was included in the price, they charge you extra for a Cappuccino. The day I received flowers, I asked for a vase and didn't receive it before the next day -after asking for it again. After having paid way too much for the experience described above (i.e. for the room), they charge you an additional 10 pounds for using the gym (per visit of the gym). One positive remark to finish: Adel, a very helpful employee, helped me out with his private mobile phone charger as mine was not working. Thank you again - this was very much appreciated. !

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 17, 2006

My husband and I had wanted to stay in this hotel for a while as had heard good reviews so we booked ourselves in for a Saturday night. We were slightly concerned when arriving as the exterior of the hotel does not make a great first impression. The inside however was very different. There is just something very cool about this hotel. The staff, the atmosphere, the simplicity and the decor all attribute to a true 'hip' hotel..

Our room was very spacious and very comfortable. It was simple yet very classy and had everything we needed. A mini-bar would have been good, but the lack of one was not a big problem. There were vending machines, but I think the cheapest option as around £6 for a drink and a snack.

We got a weekend deal which meant we payed less then half of the normal room tarrif. It was a really great hotel and we would definitely stay there again, but probably only if we could get the same sort of deal as I'm not totally sure it warrants the normal price tag for a night's stay. If you are someone for whom money is not an issue however then I think you would get a lot more out of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2006