“Not Even Close To A 4-Star Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of K West Hotel & Spa

K West Hotel & Spa
Ranked #253 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hoboken, NJ
“Not Even Close To A 4-Star Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

I was booked at the K West through Hotwire after buying a 4-star hotel in the Kensington area of London. This is not a 4-star property. Not even close. The website makes it look hip, which it may be in the lobby, but the rooms are dumpy. Our sink wouldn't drain, and still wasn't fixed after our complaints. The room we had was not particularly clean either. We stay at a lot of hotels and are relatively easy to please, but this place is just not worth the price, even in overpriced London. And I have never written a bad review of a hotel ever.

Another caveat, the closest Underground station is closed for renovations. Walking to the next closest, 10 minutes away, is not bad, but be warned that this is the case. Buses are nearby and work well.

I think the worst part of the stay was the cab ride out that the hotel arranged. We had two stops, one to the Eurostar train station and the other to Paddington station to transfer to Heathrow. We asked to go to Paddington first, but the cab driver took us to Eurostar first instead. That was not so bad, but I heard later from my boyfriend that the cab driver almost insisted he drive him to Heathrow for 30 extra euro, and that he wasn't going to Paddington. My boyriend threw a fit and should have reported him, but just beware. It would not have been safe for a woman alone, and the hotel should NOT be calling cab drivers like this or their guests.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
West Midlands, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

Regularly stay here on business as it is very close to Olympia, Excellent large rooms, great food, reception staff are very slow though!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Reception Staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank becky_bourne
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2008

I'll give a good summary of what this hotel is about...

First, be aware of the excessively bad one-star reviews, as these seem to happen in most hotels on this site and usually are isolated experiences.

This hotel offers a very specific product: A true 4-star facility in a very well designed "cool-urban-contemporary-boutique" (you know what I mean) type of place. Most importantly, it is cheaper than the typical 4-star hotel in Central London, because it is just off the edge of a very nice area as opposed to in it.

If what you read above suits your taste, I recommend staying at this hotel. The drawback for some is that its precise location is kind of an ethnic working class area, but you are a very short walk away from the Underground and the upscale Notting Hill shopping streets. I actually enjoyed experiencing a bit of the middle-class London scene as I walked to/from Shepherd's Bush Station.

• Liked — qualiy; uniqueness
  • Disliked — long walk to room; shower can be uncomfortable to control
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank fly_by_night_Texas
Cambridge
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2008

I arriverd at the hotel and the rrom was not ready on time.
The porter stood about then walked off for twenty minutes so we were stuck in the lobby with our suitcases.
Later in the evening i arrived back at the hotel and the porter was stood at the door to open it for you. This didn't happen he just looked at my girlfriend and I.
They will not change your bed everyday (first hotel i have found with this policy).
When i checked in i had to make a payment on top of the fee for the room. This was to cover any additional expensices that may be put on the room bill (£50 per day). I was told by reception that this would be put straight back into my account on checked out.
7 days later i still have the the room charge and additaion charge frozen from my account, evan though the bill was settled when i left. I spoke to the manager of the K West and got a response - "I have nothing to do with your personal finance and its the bank who are holding your money (Not true).
The hotel is overpriced and over rated, London has much better to offer.

• Liked — Massive Bed
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndyBroadbank
New Bedford, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2008

Booked through Hotwire so didn't know where I was staying until I commited payment.

Was a little further from central London than i would have preferred but the room was very comfortable and the hotel is obviously a fashionable place for local BBC types who work nearby. (Paul Weller was there in the bar the last night I was there!)

However, wi-fi costs £10 a day in your room but is free in the lounge area - why? And the second day I paid for never worked, but hey did refund that.

Also there was a problem with hot water, especially in the morning when everyone else is using it. Had to get someone in to fix it eventually.

A good hotel but I've stayed in better in London that are cheaper

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — Expensive Wi-Fi in room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2007

Do NOT stay here. My boyfriend and I stayed here because we thought it was a sleek, modern hotel and the rooms looked nice. However, we had some major problems here that pretty much ruined our trip.The customer service is horrible and I can tell you that you will not be satisfied here. If you have the slightest problem or need any sort of accomodation, forget about it here. They will not take care of you.

These are the reasons you should NOT stay here:

1. They were to call us a cab in the morning and it was never called and we almost missed our plane. We finally got one after standing in the freezing cold at 5 am after 30 minutes.

2. They held $400 USD (200 GBP) for 7 days WITHOUT TELLING US and because the hotel was $250 USD, I went over my daily withdrawal limit and could not access my money when I continued traveling.

3. The hotel staff(especially the management) is horrible and very unaccommodating. The management was very rude when we returned to tell her about our stay and the inconvenience and even laughed at us when we felt that we should be accommodated for our travel experience being affected.

Trust me. Do NOT stay here.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank iukat
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2007

We were not too impressed when we arrived there having booked a twin non smoking room, and they tried to fob us off with a smoking room, but eventually after we complained they gave us a non smoking room. My parents were both upgraded free of charge, but their room was not as nice as ours. The rooms were quiet, but were very small and not very cosy. The hallways in the hotel were very dark and not very welcoming.

I went to this hotel with my parents and sister for a night in London. We found that the hotel was in a good location for transport to the rest of the city, it was right next to the Shepherd’s Bush Tube Station.

We found that the breakfast was excellent with a good choice, but we didn’t stop for the evening meal there as we were going to the theatre to see the Sound Of Music. Overall, we would say that this place was great for music fans, and for people like us who wanted somewhere to stay with a carpark, but I’m sure there are some much nice hotels that are better value for money. If anyone wants to ask me a question just leave me a message and I’ll get back to you :)

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007