“Avoid this hotel”

Ranked #995 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Hove
“Avoid this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is definitely NOT a three star hotel by any stretch of the imagination!

My colleague and I booked two double rooms for a work trip, thankfully only for one evening. We were both given rooms on the lower ground floor, next to the restaurant. In the hallway leading to both rooms there was broken glass on the floor and a broken door leaning against the wall. My room had three small children's beds (i.e. not a double room) and directly outside my single glazed window were steps leading straight down from the busy street directly into my room. It felt unsafe.

On top of this, my colleague's room was dirty - fake eyelashes and hairs on the bedspread, crumbs on the furniture. Everything smelt musty and felt a bit sticky. After a quick discussion in the hall we decided to ask for different rooms. The receptionist was incredibly aggressive, accused us of spending half an hour in the rooms already (10 minutes at most) and was, to be frank, downright rude and quite scary.

She insisted on inspecting both rooms and marched us back downstairs with a small child tucked under her arm. She refused to acknowledge the mess in my colleague's room and insisted she couldn't change her room because she had moved the bedspread (to check for more hairs). Then, even more bizarrely, she refused to change my room because she decided there was evidence that I had 'done a kaka' in the toilet. (Accusing me of this involved her squatting down in the bathroom, still with the child tucked under her arm, and trying to look inside the toilet bowl from a very odd low down angle, then standing and pointing and shouting at me. It all felt a bit rehearsed and I felt very sorry for the poor child.)

Unfortunately the rooms had been pre-paid by work and we couldn't afford to move. We both went to bed in our clothes because of the dirty feel of the place. Neither us had any sleep - as well as the noise from the street and the restaurant, there were street lights, itchy bedclothes, bizarre noises all night (moving furniture at 3am?) and general fearfulness due to the awful aggressive woman.

Needless to say we didn't bother with breakfast and left as soon as we could.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Shelley839

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

It was my first time in london and we just needed a place for 3 nights. First night was horrible. I think the hotel allocated to us the worst basement room and it was the last room available. ( we arrived about 2300). Room was highly highly worn down. Musky odour.leaking from toilet. Weird noises. Damp bedsheets.

We requested for another room the next day and it was a good modern room with working shower facility. We were pretty pleased with it but puzzled why the basement rooms were ten times of worse state!

Location is pretty good as the town is pretty clean and safe. It is quiet compared to central london- perfect for me! My boyfriend who had to work in his london branch for few days had no problem in commuting to central london where the banking district is. ( could not remember the tube stop!)

As for me, i entertained myself by walking to nearest shopping mall and ate asian eat all you can buffet to satisfy my cravings.

Overall, it is an ok accomodation for me- only if you get the higher level room. Otherwise, dont bother if you are are allocated with the basement room.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank dyass84
Manchester, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights (my room L2/my colleague L4). Check in was difficult - pre booked and pre paid on company credit card via booking.com ( we were there on business) arrived after 11pm and met by frosty faced receptionist who didn't care that we were tired and travel shattered and insisted that we pay again because the credit card bookimg didn't match our names despite the booking paperwork showing our names and the company we work for. Eventually he agreed we could sort out in the morning,

Rooms were a bitter disappointment. Mine l2 was opposite breakfast room - constant noise all night long Traffic, banging of doors, people walking about, tv, toilet and other unwelcome bedroom noises fron rooms either side. Room was clean, bed - felt lie a hammock, bathroom smelt musty. My colleague in room l4 - graffiti on walls , bullet holes in bathroom door, less noise but equally as disappointing .

Breakfast - tiny room, stunk of burnt toast - we decided not to bother

Customer service - nonexistent

All,in all - rubbish for the cost

Room Tip: Refuse a room in the basement
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TravellingY

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Wow. First impressions weren't great - the foyer was tiny with a huge disappointment behind the desk. Ironic, really. The receptionist was distinctly unfriendly which was simply unacceptable regardless of the rating of the hotel. We were told it was a non smoking establishment, which is fine, but then had to climb the stairs with held breath - unidentified odour still exists with a significant question mark.

The room was also disappointing. Having booked this through laterooms.com, we really did expect more. It was tiny, although room was a found for a random camp bed. This seemed odd as you'd think they'd make more of the space. There were also broken fixtures, a missing TV remote and unexplained marks on the walls. Shocked!

To top it off, it was my birthday- gutted. I even wrote this review from a local pub as we didn't want to be there longer than we had to.

Do yourself a favour, go somewhere else.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mcglockers
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

If you are short of money and want cheap accommodation in Kensington Olympia this is your place. Few mins away from the station, which was convenient.

When we arrived the receptionist was unhelpful and does not have good customers skills. I wouldn't say it is a 3 star hotel. As I was signing the form and looking at the hotel policy I was rushed by the receptionist to sign the form.

The room looked like a corridor and the bed wasn't the best. The metal bed frame stuck out more than the mattress. At least it had aircon and a tv. The room wasn't clean, under the bed had crumbs and the walls were dirty. The bedding was clean but the sheets were very thin and the sleep wasn't bad.
The bathroom looked ok, however the shower was awful, it almost flooded the room because it didn't drain as quick. The floor boards in the bedroom had all lifted due to this.

Breakfast was very limited. Cornflakes or toast and juice and hot drinks. I knew it wasn't going to be spectacular for the price, it was free, even though it said continental breakfast.

When we checked, out not even eye contact or a thank you. Overall the standard wasn't great and if the customer service was better I would have been a bit happier.

This will never be my first choice, but I know what to expect for the money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Accrington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

absolutely shocking hotel. Would never have stayed here after reading reviews but everywhere was already full so had too. On reflection, a bus shelter would have been cleaner and safer. Mould on the walls, damp around light switches and a brown liquid gooey substance coming out of the wall light.

Breakfast was bread, cheese, jam and coffee, cleared up bang on 9.30am with no concern for guests in the room, not even a 'we're going to clear up in a minute, has everybody finished?'

STAY AWAY.

Room Tip: Add a tip ? Don't stay here !!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Ashcameraman
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

What more can you ask for? Fantastic location. Friendly efficient welcome. Quiet room at the back of the building. Clean and smelling fresh. Sheets clean, bed comfortable. Lots of tea and coffee. Extra milk requested and delivered to the room efficiently and with a smile. Clean en suite, plenty of loo roll, soap and shampoo provided. Shower functional. Towels provided. Air con very quiet. Plenty of help your self breakfast as much as you like. And all for £40 each! Come on!! Recommend, defo go back. Downside bit small would not suite the fuller figure.

Room Tip: Room 201 was great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends