“Charged Twice for Hideous Experience”

The Norfolk Towers Hotel
Ranked #529 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Norfolk
“Charged Twice for Hideous Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am compelled to write to see if this has happened to anyone else who has thought of (and thought better of) staying here. I booked a room way back in December for a one night stay as part of a Christmas treat to see a show with my girlfriend. It was a non-refundable room, although as soon as I read the hideous trip advisor reviews I chose to cancel my reservation. I expected one transaction of £109 on my statement, but to my irritation I'd been charged twice for a room I never occupied. After almost 4 months of ringing/emailing/writing letters I've still not received a refund for the double charge I've received. I am fobbed off every time I ring by members of staff saying the manager "Mr Bob" is away, and the one email reply I've ever recieved told me I'd got the wrong company (impossible), and it was written in pigeon english. I'd love to know if this has happened to anyone else and whether it ever was resolved? And for anyone considering staying here, RUN A MILE!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
norfolktowers, General Manager at The Norfolk Towers Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us, I was disappointed to read that you were not afforded our usual high levels of service, for this please accept my sincere apologies.

Thank you again for drawing my attention to this very important points.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I found this hotel to be good located, just a few hundred meters from Paddington station. Also walking distance to Oxford Street. no havy traffic around so you could get a sound sleep.I Have no remarks about the the service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, i found the points you raised constructive to both us as a hotel and also potential guests.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and also you felt that our location is very good.One area we have focused our efforts on is delivering high level of customer service.
Thank you again for your review .
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

£97 per night for so called executive room through booking.con. Bed has a bow in the middle luckily I was on my own. Bed linen well wore. Decor looks like something out of the 50s. Smell of (I presume) a dead mouse in the bathroom. TV channels are freeview but have poor reception so you don't get very many channels. Curtains don't fully block out the light. Luckily was on the 5th floor or I would imagine You could here the road in the room from the lower rooms the windows are that flimsy. No ventilation and a constant condensation In the windows, mildue in the bathroom, taps in the bathroom look as if they have never been cleaned.

Good points breakfast wasn't bad and WIFI worked. Staff were helpful and friendly.

All in all avoid. Way to expensive £50 a night would be ok.

• Stayed April 2013
norfolktowers, General Manager at The Norfolk Towers Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013

Thank you again for drawing my attention to this very important points.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We arrived back at around 9pm and found the room to be very
cold with curtains wafting around due to the poor insulation /
fitment of the windows. We put our shoes along the bottom of
the curtains to jam them onto the window sill to try and stop
the curtains wafting around and get some heat in the room
"THIS DID NOT STOP THE DRAFT" , the noise was also very loud
from the constant passing traffic making it almost impossible
to get a good nights sleep.

My wife took a shower only to have the shower almost burn Her,
She got out of the shower immediately, She called me into the
bath room, the Shower would NOT turn off?

I called reception, a young male receptionist came straight away
and was unable to turn the shower off, He then went to get the
Manager who after a few minutes managed to turn the shower off.
I then told the Manager about the Cold room pointing out the
curtains, He said that they had been having problems with the
room and offered us extra blankets?. We asked to be moved but He
said no other rooms were available and that the only option was
extra blankets.

Due the the time of night we had to accept his offer. We were
extremely cold all night on top of that the noise from the traffic
out side along with a constant dripping shower and teenagers shouting
in the corridor in the early hours we had what we would say our worst
experience ever staying in a Hotel.

We have emailed the hotel on several occasions and as yet we are still waiting for a reply.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Ferrara, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

After 5 days at the Royal Eagle Hotel in March 2012 we wanted to spend another week in London and looking for a cheaper place to stay, and possibly more comfortable (more spacious room and bathroom for example) we asked at the reception in this nice hotel. The deal was good, cheaper that the other hotel and when we saw the room we were delighted! Enough space for us and the suitcases, there was even a little table for the computer (wifi available and working without problems). Big bathroom with a bath tub. Very nice breakfast at a right price. We valued it a great hotel experience, and we still do but we have to warn other travellers about what could happen. My boyfriend left his little handbag on the bed just one night. He had 600 euros hidden inside. When we came back in the room at around 9;30 we found the light on, and both of us remembered we had switched it off before we left the room (we had a little talk the day before because I insisted to be careful, he usually doesn't care or forget light and water open...). Then he checked his handbag and found that he had only 400 euro...200 disappeared. We went at the reception and first they said we'd better go to the police to report what happened (just for statistics, obviously money were lost) but when we insisted for further research and managed to speak with the director they finally told us that they let an electrician into our room to repair something...but when we asked to meet this person the girl receptionist became very angry and almost shouted that every person working in that hotel has years and years of immaculate experience! We didn't know what else to say. We had already paid the next 3 days stay so we finished our holiday not in the best mood as it started.
Ok, our fault we left the money in the room (hidden in the handbag anyway, not on the table). We won't forget it again. But I read other reviews of people who reported a similar experience in this hotel...so I thought another warning would be useful. If it hadn't been for this episode no doubt I would have considered this place for future travels in London.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
norfolktowers, General Manager at The Norfolk Towers Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013

May i also reassure you that all the points raised will be thoroughly investigated. For your information may i draw your attention to the the fact that we do provide safe deposit boxes for all our customers for an extra security of valuables.

You mentioned that the receptionist advised you to report the matter to the police, i just wondered why you were not keen to do that.
Thank you for drawing my attention to this important point.
limassol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very convenient location with the bus stop nearly outside the hotel and the underground 3-5 mins away. Its not an expensive hotel and thus anything more than basic should not be expected. Its relatively clean, the continental breakfast is adequate, reception friendly, water with pressure and hot and the heating worked just fine in the room. If u want luxury then its not the place to go but if u are looking for just a place to stay in london that is near everything and wont cost you an arm and a leg than this is the place to stay- i would stay again for sure

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
norfolktowers, General Manager at The Norfolk Towers Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
I am delighted to read that you felt that we are our location is great, the staff are friendly.One area we have focused our efforts on is delivering high level of customer service.
Thank you again for your review .