Phoenix Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
1,803 results
All reviewsbayswater tube stationhyde parksingle roomcontinental breakfastkensington gardenswestbourne grovebayswater areanotting hillrestaurants and shopsyogurtcircle lineboiled eggssafe areaminute walkno air conditioningplace to sleepbreakfast staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is the second time I stayed at the Phoenix and each time, I had a very clean room and decent stay. The bathroom was small but nice. The staff was reasonable. The location was fantastic. Close to Hiyde Park for running, and to 2 train stops Bayswater and Queensway. There is a mall across the street and many restaurants in the area. The internet service is really slow but if you are staying for more than 3 days, you can get broadband from T mobile which is on the main shopping area. If you are a couple, make sure you request a larger bed. The price was great. The breakfast is edible and good enough to send you on your way. The rooms do not have a/c.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2011

The Phoenix Hotel is an affordable hotel option in a good, close-in part of London. Don't stay here if you are expecting luxury, American-style room sizes, or high-end amenities. That's not the purpose of the Phoenix. For what it is, the hotel does a very good job.

I was booked in a single room (twin bed, small desk, wardrobe, nightstand, luggage stand, and a compact bathroom). The room size was small, as expected - this is an older building, and the room was pretty standard for a European single hotel room. The room was clean when I arrived, though a little worn (some scuffs on trim, somewhat worn carpet). The bed was surprisingly comfortable, with a comfortable duvet and pillows. The free wireless worked fine, and the flatscreen TV received basic cable (no Sky, for example).

The bathroom was very small, with a new looking toilet and sink, but no counter space (pedestal sink and a high shelf over toilet). Shower was small but good water pressure and plenty of hot water. All looked clean at arrival and was cleaned daily.

Hotel lobby is basic, but fine to hang out in if you wanted a change from your room. It was, however, unreasonably hot for almost my entire time there. Breakfast room was clean and pleasant looking, not overly fancy. Continental breakfast was pastries, breads, yogurt, cereals, some fruit, etc. Given that it was a continental, it was plentiful and good.

So, what didn't I like? In mid-November, my room was bizarrely hot. I kept the heat off, window open and a fan in the window the entire time to make it bearable. I can't imagine what it would be like in summer - and would think twice abt staying there.

There is only one lift (elevator). It operates very slowly, so getting in/out of the hotel around breakfast or check-in time takes several minutes. But again, not atypical for a smaller European hotel.

Neighborhood is a highlight. Bayswater tube is about 3 mins, and Queensway is another 3 beyond that. Queensway (the street) is not glamourous, but has a number of food options, convenience stores like Tesco, etc. I'd recommend the Prince Edward pub a few blocks away (turn left out the front door, walk about two blocks, it'll be on your right on a corner).

I booked through Expedia and got a rate lower than was offered on the website. Overall, good experience at a very affordable cost.

Room Tip: I was in room 323. It was on the main hallway, but faced the main street and the garden across the street. Street noise was minimal (on weekend and weekdays) and the view was nice
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MikeMidd2001
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed here with my mom for four nights at the end of October (2011) and it was HORRIBLE!! The room was falling apart, the front desk girl Alexandria was SO RUDE and the breakfast buffet gave us heartburn!! Our room was located near a busy street, so it sounded like cars were going to smash into our room all night long. AND there were drunks walking by all night long! We left and checked in to the Novotel London West! It was amazing!! Stay there instead! Novotel was amazing compared to this dump!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel and you will get a good room! Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Keraa P
Reviewed November 14, 2011

It's one of those standard size old English Hotels. Rooms are more like single rooms for double use. It's clean & it's continental breakfast is not that bad. As regards to the service with so many exchange students & immigrants working (not being racist) in the Hotel it can get difficult sometimes for the staff to understand what exactly you want. Location is good as it's a 2-3 min walk to bayswater & queensway stations that give access to central,circle & district line. Hotel has also free wifi , ask at reception. There is enough to do in the area ........ parks, restaurants, pubs ....... If you're young go for it, if middle age still go for it you like being squeezed ..... .

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mailmeifwrong
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Only needed to stay one night in London, and after a previous disastrous experience in Paddington, decided to pay a little more and booked here. I arrived at 08h00, hoping to leave my baggage and check in later, and the friendly receptionist offered me a room. "But it is a small one," she warned. Tired from my flight, I accepted. Yes, the room was small, and had no real view to speak of, but it was clean, well-presented, and manageable. I liked the small bits of humour dotted around the room on little cards: it makes you feel obligated to cooperate more.

The bed was really heavenly soft - just what I needed - and I had a greta night's sleep that night. Next morning I had breakfast in the attractive dining room, well-prepared and presented, and with waitresses that actually spoke English, (a real problem in most London Hotels.)

I also asked for a late check out, ans was allowed to leave at 12h00 - a full 28-hour stay for the price of a day, and I was most grateful for the help. I will certainly stay here again, and recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: I was in the first room near the elevator, so there was a bit of "traffic", and especially with the Fire Door being open and closed regularly. But not too much of an issue once I opened the Fire Door permamnently using the magnet provided
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business