“This is a difficult one”

Royal Norfolk Hotel
Ranked #879 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“This is a difficult one”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Having seen the other reviews it is hard to criticise them BUT there are some pros as well as cons. As for cons. Correct, the reception staff (in general) are surly (albeit 1 exception), countless staircases had to be clambered, rooms were minute and not particularly clean and the general feeling was "not good". In short, the rooms are horrible....

However we stayed 1 night only (about the best period) as we were passing through. The Pros are many as it is in a lively area. Shops, bars, transport are in abundance. Easy to get into other parts of the city and whilst not the most secure area in town we had no problems.

Oddly enough the breakfast was quite acceptable and well presented. The downside is the miserable staff and getting a waitress who can speak English and ask how you want you eggs cooked. Not always an option.

If I had to stay 1 night in London again in this area I would, surprisingly, stay at this joint. It really is in a good location...

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor with window facing onto side street. Good if you are not with heavy ba...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank duckplucker52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dapto, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Very disappointing. No lift and up three floors. Very small room in poor condition. We have stayed in better hotels in Paddington for less money and better service. We did not think much the breakfast at all. We do not recommend this hotel as you can do better. Do not believe the web site. It does not reflect what we experienced.

1 Thank Horsley40

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Exeter, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

When arrived the staff were fine BUT on staying here found a few issues. We were on the 3rd floor and finding the lift didnt work we had to cart our cases up the full flight of stairs , taking the trip up there we found the rats had been at the carpet , so it was held down with gaffa tape . When we finally got to the top blimming knackered at this stage , saw the roof was being held up by scaffolding .We dumped our cases and talk about swing a cat , well not seeming harsh but it wasnt very clean the window frames were stuck together and black with mould . Wait for it we even had a multi tasking on suit bathroom , yes you could have had a shower and have a shave whilst going for a pee . Managed to get asleep the next morning we ventured in the breakfast room where we were told they had run out of bacon so i was offered extra sausages then tobe told 10 mins later that they have none of them either so all i had was 2 poached eggs on a plate on there own also the dinning room was very dirty . would definitely not recommend sorry

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin F
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel was the worst one I've stayed in during the past two years and several trips to London. The room was cramped which of itself is not a problem, however the toilet did not flush, the shower did not work properly, the hairdryer broke off while trying to dry my hair, no remote for the television. Solo room overlooking the back of a pub so between 23.30-01.00 all you can hear is bottles being thrown out and recycled etc, very loud.
The staff were extremely rude and unhelpful. On arrival, a member of staff informed me the lift was broken, which wasn't a problem for me - except I was on the 3rd floor (about 5 flights of stairs up, all very narrow with unstable banisters) - and the staff member came with me for the first two flights, handed me my suitcase, and pointed upwards telling me to go the rest of my way on my own.
On departure, I handed my suitcase to the staff member on reception to be stored for left luggage for the day, and when I returned in the late afternoon, the same person was on reception. He was too absorbed in what he was reading to assist me. He glanced at me, picked up a master key, put it on the desk and went back to his reading. I explained that my case was in the office behind him and not in a room. He finished the paper he was reading before getting up to pass me my case, an act that should have taken two minutes took almost ten.
The only redeeming feature for this hotel was its location. Just opposite the tube and paddington railway, and with lots of small convenience shops/takeaways/restaurants nearby. Would not stay here again and would not recommend it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Peyton1993
Cork, Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This hotel is a brilliant place to stay if you're visiting London to do all the tourist attractions and have a few nights out. 10 minute walk to Oxford Street, or a 2minute tube journey- the tube station is directly across from the hotel. The area is full of little pubs and restaurants, and there's a great atmosphere around Paddington. The hotel itself is old fashioned, but comfortable and has everything you need. The receptionists were friendly enough and reception was open all night. You could buy attraction tickets at reception too- we got a discount for the bus tour and Madame Tussaud's. You can hear the tube station, but it isn't distracting or very loud, and its to be expected for such a central location. The value for money was amazing here. We paid about 20 pounds a night each, breakfast included. Recommend for anyone looking to have a holiday in London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower floors if you're not fit, as the lift is broken and has been for yea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DanielleM7777777
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

the hotel was not as expected me and my mate thought. Not that spectacular from the out side. rooms were small and stuffy, strange smells in hallways, unhelpful signs and confusion on where about the room was. unhelpful staff, breakfast was rubbish, no extra if you decide to have something not on your plate. only one glass of juice and have to wait to be sited. this is more like a b and b not a hotel. no help with luggage, felt awkward asking for hairdryer and a extra fan. rooms need up dating and air conditioning. staff need training in customer service as lack of friendliness and felt unwelcomed.tv only had 9 channels not the full Freeview range, when it did work, tried changing TV but wasn't possible. shower was way to small. rooms looked better in photos online, that's because they were picture of better rooms. was not worth the money paid. hairs in rooms fans were dirty, noisy fan outside, sheets weren't changed after two nights, just wasn't brilliant. it was only when we left the guy we haven't seen before on reception was polite and friendly.
I would say don't stay there personally.
the only positive thing was being next to Paddington, convenience stores, pubs and takeaways next to you on the street. bus tour bus stop outside and leaflets on where to go and what to do.

Room Tip: ground floor as there's the lift is not in use.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anna1987_11
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

terrible experience i have ever live in a so-called hotel. no lift but the staff offered to lift your luggage up to 4 storey but you have to drag down while checking out. no ventilation in terms of a fan even the weather is at 25°c. the window is half-opened but noisy to hear the traffic and people yelling at night. no remote control to adjust volume of tv; tv is too soft to listened. the evening staff just say sorry and he cannot do anything to adjust the tv or give me a fan.

• Stayed September 2013