“Do not stay here.”
Review of Dolphin Hotel

Dolphin Hotel
Ranked #620 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I'm a budget traveler - I never expect the Ritz accommodations but I was not happy with this property.

But, really, to be frank, you must not stay here if you are trying to get a good night's sleep at night. The walls are so thin and the travelers on my floor were extremely loud. It also didn't help that the mattress springs felt so hard and it was extremely difficult to sleep. The hotel needs to do a better job at telling people to behave cordially at check-in, considering that the walls are so thin and the hallways so narrow. This all made for a miserable stay, and I was unable to get a full night's sleep when I was there. The room was also very hot.

The rooms were very small even by London standards-but this was tolerable.

The Wi-fi was not working when I was there, at all, I kept getting an error message when trying to connect.

The one small bright spot was the breakfast room. I had the continental meal plan and the food was really quite good. It was beyond the usual cereal and breads and there was a variety to choose from and the breakfast hours were decent.

But because sleep and basic comfortability should be #1 for every traveller, this hotel is Not recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Kyle R
There are newer reviews for Dolphin Hotel

Reviewed November 4, 2011

clean and decent room, good service, good breakfast, helpful reception, but no lift which can be a problem.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JuliaZerafa
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Dolphin Hotel seems to be like the others I have seen in Paddington – multi-storey, with small rooms that can barely contain a single bed, and a tiny ensuite. My room was cozy enough. They even managed to squeeze in a small desk. It seemed like my room was the result of a renovation, as the shower and wash basin were in the room, then the toilet was off to the side inside the door. The result was good for me, as there ended up being two doors between me and the hall, meaning there was virtually no noise from other guests.
The real plus with the Dolphin Hotel was that there was a fridge in the room – only a small bar fridge, but a nice addition that I have not seen in other hotels. Especially during the summer months, this is a big plus in my book. This little difference really made this hotel for me.
So, its small, and terribly overpriced for what it is, but this is central London. Paddington is a great place for tourists to base themselves, and the Dolphin was comfortable enough. A pretty good hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Fiver75
Reviewed September 22, 2011

It's the worst hotel that I saw in my life. Carpet in room was compromised because of the smell which could not sleep. you can get sick in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Simona N
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The bed was really uncomfortable, old bed.
The bathroom had mushrooms in the roof and smell like pee.
The reception staff was nice, but the kitchen stuff (breakfast) was really terrible. We cleaned our own table, and wait 15mins to get the brekfast, Nobody come to us to ask what we wanted, so we asked the girls about the breakfast, she refused to prepare it because it was 9:00 (even if we were 15 mins waiting).
In conclusion: bad hotel

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
5  Thank ja_svq
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Oringinally booked Dolphin but on arrival was told we were to occupy the Shakespeare (right next door; same owners) that was fine. Nice big room for the four of us. Own small shower/toilet room adequate. Pleasant staff. Great choice of breakfast. Considering prices I've paid for hotels around the world for the price paid here for a family of 4 with breakfast as it was I have to say it was a VERY PLEASANT surprise. Recommend any day! Thank you

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
Dolphin_Management, Manager at Dolphin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2011

It gives our team immense joy to hear you had a great time. We aim to satisfy, and when we do - it is the best feeling. We provide the same high quality service in both Shakespeare and Dolphin hotels. It provides a wider choice for our guests, and even when the rare unexpected problem occurs with a room, it helps us keep our customers close, where we can care for them, instead of sending them off to a hotel not entirely known to us. Once more, thank you for your review, you are welcome here any time.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

we had wet towels that had been just picked up off the floor and folded back up.
one night we got into bed and the sheet was wet in one spot
the bathroom was as big as a dog kennel you could hardly move and the shower was leaking and the toilet seat was broken
the staff were not helpful or polite at all we had to figure it out for ourselves.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nutsiegirl

I am regretful to hear about the discomfort you experienced with us. We take any critique seriously and will be looking further into the matter. Our housekeepers regularly check the rooms after the cleaners have finished with them, to keep our cleaning standards in check. Our receptionists always try to help as best as they can and in most cases they do, on rare occassions, however, only some flexibility is available. I am sorry if it seemed not as much as you expected. We encourage our guests to let us know of any problems with the room, so we can hopefully fix it right away. Yet again, I apologize for any inconveniences you have endured and thank you for your feedback.