“England V Scotland match”

London Elizabeth Hotel
Ranked #799 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“England V Scotland match”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great for getting about tube and paddington station 2 mins walk hyde park across road from hotel lots of pubs and eatieres nearby Swan bar just round corner from hotel great wee shop next to it for water eats etc,Hotel at front very noisy we were in room 331on front traffic starts about 0530 ,light sleepers get room at back , lovely wee patio garden at back niceplants etc .Saff at breakfast excellant as was grub full english or european.Reception staff very helpfull.

Room Tip: Light sleepers get room at back
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Location: Good
Tube station and bus stop outside front entrance.
Paddington station 5-10 minute walk away.
Lots of pubs and restaurants 5 minutes away in the direction of Paddington.
Hyde Park and the Italian Gardens are across the road.

Decor: Poor
Very dated.
Lift is tiny and can realistically fit only one person plus luggage.
Stairs to 4th floor are crooked with about a 20 degree lean inwards.
My shower was not very powerful at all and there was no hot water.

Service: Excellent
Staff very friendly.

Restaurant: Excellent
Hotel restaurant is very cheap and has a good selection of food.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John L
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the London Elizabeth for 5 nights. This was our first trip to London and chose the hotel because it was so central. There is a bus stop just outside the front door and Lancaster gate station a couple of hundred metres down the road. Our room was on the top floor and was clean and quiet. Our first impression on checking was the lack of friendliness of staff and the particularly surly young man who watched the lady serving us struggle with the paper in the eftpos machine. It took him 5 minutes to get up and help her. The reception staff were indifferent to say the least. The breakfast staff were more friendly. We wouldn't recommend other than a good location but not for a London welcome if that exists!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen255114
Vips L, General Manager at London Elizabeth Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I was so very sorry to read that you felt our staff was unfriendly or unhelpful in anyway. The incident you mention is indeed distressing and I assure you I am looking into it to determine what the circumstances were and what we can do to ensure it does not happen again. This incident does not represent our normal level of service as I am sure you witnessed during the rest of your stay. I was pleased to read that you spent 5 lovely days enjoying our fair city and that indeed you enjoyed your room as well as our location.
Plymouth, UK
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were planning a celebration weekend in London and were delighted to see this hotel in the Superbreak brochure; we had stayed here some 16 years ago.
Our overall impression after three nights was that the place was getting shabby, but with grace.

The good bits first: the arrival welcome was friendly and the hotel is very well situated for immediate access to Hyde Park, Lancaster Gate Tube station and a constant stream of 'For Hire' taxis pass the front entrance. Then the food was consistently excellent - a full English breakfast carries a supplementary charge and is served in charming if - to my taste - over-pink and slightly over-crowded dining room where the furniture showed the effects of many years wear. Afternoon tea, however, willingly and promptly served on the rose garden terrace was a true delight. We thought all the prices very reasonable.

However, we were disappointed with our room. Access was either via a too-small lift (barely enough room for two adults and small luggage) or by way of an increasingly steep and narrow stairway to the third floor. I thought the winding on the last stairs was dangerously narrow towards the centre. Although clean enough and properly serviced each day, everything was well-worn with scuff marks and scratches everywhere, and stained and cracked tile grout in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable (first time we've slept under blankets for years), but it proved impossible to cool the room during the very hot weather of our stay (an old-style ceiling fan was ineffective, and safety straps prevented the windows being fully opened. There was an old-style TV cabinet, but no tea/coffee making facility.

Sad to say, all this latter coloured our impressions of this small hotel. The upper floors in particular appear to need a good deal of modernising attention and decorating.

Room Tip: Avoid the upper floors 3 & 4.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OldiePlymouth_UK
Vips L, General Manager at London Elizabeth Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences at the London Elizabeth. We truly appreciate receiving constructive comments regarding our hotel and thank you for providing those.
If I may, I would like to clarify a few points raised by you: you are absolutely correct that our lift is bijou and cozy. Many consider it romantic but label it as you will, it is indeed small. We would all trade our right arms for a larger lift however are prevented from doing so by English Heritage as we are a Listed Victorian Building. For those who suffer from claustrophobia, using the staircase is indeed the best alternate option for you.
The staircase is original, was built in 1850 and as stated does narrow slightly as it reaches the upper floors. Let me reassure you that it is absolutely safe, is in excellent condition and checked regularly by the local authoritiy as well as the fire brigade as it is the main fire exit from the hotel.
The room's soft furnishings were all replaced earlier this year (curtains, pelmet, tablecloth, scatter pillows and bedspread) and as you stated is scheduled for a redecoration of the walls and woodwork this fall. I do apologise for the small cracks noted by you but as our building is in constant flux from the tube line that runs close by, we do suffer from wall cracks and cracked tiles from time to time and do our very best to keep them maintained.
You are correct that we do not offer tea and coffee making facilities in our bedrooms, nor have we ever. You will have noticed however, that we do provide 24 hour room service with tea and coffee provided at a nominal cost and served with our delicious homemade tea cake.
We also have available for our guests convenience, portable air conditioners for when we experience unusually high temperatures in London. Again, because of our Listed Building status we are unable to install air conditioning directly into all of our rooms but have been able to do so in all Deluxe rooms and Suites which may better suit you on your next stay.
Mr. Carter, again I do appreciate you sharing your experience with us and hope that I may personally welcome you back to the London Elizabeth on your next celebratory occasion.
Sincerely yours,
Vips Larsen
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

what a dreadful place to stay. Most of the lights in my very dark room out of order, difficult to get into the bed, wall on one side and a pillar on the other side. No tea or cofee facilities in room. Long wait for a poor breakfast, not a good experience at all

Room Tip: nothing helpful, just steer clear!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Di J
Vips L, General Manager at London Elizabeth Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Miss Jones,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the London Elizabeth. I must confess that I am at a loss trying to reconcile your comments with this hotel. The room occupied by you is in fact one of our most popular single rooms located at the rear of the hotel away from any street noise. You are absolutely correct in stating that the double bed is in an alcove with a wall on one side and toward the foot of the bed there is a wooden beam from floor to ceiling. The room is well lit and I was unable to locate any electrical difficulties with the lights nor did our maintenance logs report any works required. There is a master switch located at the front door of the room and if that is not turned on, the lights will not operate.

We offer two breakfast options: our buffet breakfast offers a wide selection of cereals and muesli, juices, fresh fruit salad, muffins, pastries and croissants all home baked, yoghurts, hard boiled eggs as well as coffee and tea. Our full English breakfast is available for a small extra cost and includes eggs, bacon, sausage, grilled tomato, baked beans, mushrooms, toast and your choice of beverage.

Again, I am truly sorry that your visit did not meet your expectations and invite you to return at a future date to give us another try.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is my second stay at the hotel. I remember the first time being better than my return this year. Our room although costing more this year was not as nice as before, it was on the top floor - the floor being anything but level felt like I was walking around drunk. The toilet had broken tiles on which were sharp and someone could easily cut their feet on them. In the morning there was a wait to be seated due to non residents who were eating I was offered a continental breakfast with a charge for full English. The continental was ok but I was a bit angry when I received the room bill to find I had a full English included in the room rate!! The hotel is located 30 seconds walk from Lancaster gate train station (the central line) which makes getting anywhere very easy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Vips L, General Manager at London Elizabeth Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
First, please allow me to apologize for a complete breakdown in communication during our morning breakfast service which caused you not to receive the service you had paid for. I will be writing to you directly to correct this issue. In the meanwhile I was disappointed to read that overall you did not enjoy your visit this year and that a small thing seemed to spoil your stay. You are correct that there were a few cracked tiles at the base of the toilet which are cause by the building being in continuious flux due to the underground tube system running nearby. We strive to keep the problem managed. Please give us another try and we are convinced your will find your visit quite enjoyable.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for few nights, got a spacious triple room (3 single beds).
The hotel is very nice, the continental breakfast was just fine (boiled eggs, toasts, rolls, bagels, pastry, jam, honey, fruit salad, yogurts).
The only thing that bothered me was that the Internet was very problematic in the rooms, therefore we needed to get information from the receptionists who some of them lacked basic information (although I found out just before leaving that there is a boardroom where you have a computer and internet and printer). So one of the receptionists was clueless as to trivial things and misled us in a way that costs us a long drive for nothing. Also, I was told that the taxi price that you order from the hotel to Heathrow (terminal 1) is a fixed price of 50 pounds. However, I was charged 60 pounds...

As a whole, the atmosphere at the hotel is pleasant, I liked this old classic hotel. The rooms are clean and tidy, and the staff is kind although a bit indifferent, at least some of them. The hotel's location is also convenient (lancaster gate), opposite to hyde park where you can see ducks and a swan.
To sum up, I would definitely recommend on this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family