“Attitude counts!!”

The Montcalm London Marble Arch
Ranked #5 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I recently stayed at this lovely hotel where everything went wrong but ended right.
The hotel is lovely, the staff friendly, the location so convenient but we had problems with the room functioning. After one night I was moved to another very lovely room only to discover (at bedtime) that the AC was broken, so off to a third room. The manager could not have been more personally involved in solving the problems. At the end of the day - he is and was the reason I left with a smile on my face and a reason to return to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Jana H,

Thank you so much for having taken some of your precious time to share this lovely review; Although we strive to get everything perfect every single time, it is inevitable that sometimes mistakes or issues do occur. What is important then, is how it is handled to minimise the inconvenience towards our Guests and how we recover the situation; it is great to see that on this occasion, all efforts were made to ensure you had an enjoyable night's sleep and stay at the end, leaving you with a positive final impression of the Montcalm, our staff, and our services.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch directly when you next decide to visit London and we will endeavour by all means to provide you with another unforgettable stay.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,206)

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Excellent five star hotel. Quiet rooms. Large breakfast selection of very good quality. Spa area with exercise pool,sauna,steam room and warm tile reclining seats. Close to major stores on Oxford Street. Easy nearby bus and underground transportation. Champaign bar and restaurant. Friendly helpful room service and reception staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing a busy street
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear ralphT,

Thank you very much for having shared your experiences online following your recent stay with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and rest assured that your kind comments regarding our staff and service will be shared with all those involved. I look forward to personally welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We recently stayed at the Montcalm after a six week European holiday and booked to have a relaxing three days before onward journey home on the other side of the world. After an initial booking mix up I have to say the recovery and experience of the hotel was superb. Laura the customer experience manager was unbelievable and ensured we have a wonderful time and a very relaxing completion to our holiday. The hotel is certainly living up to it's objective of trying to achieve 100% customer satisfaction.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear James H,

On behalf of Laura and the rest of the team here at the Montcalm, thank you very much for having taken some of your precious time to share this lovely review. I am thrilled that we were able to recover your experience after the initial confusion, not in the least because of Laura's personal care and attention. I hope that the next time you jet across the world for your holidays you will consider us again, be it as a stop over, or as a final destination.

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

A warm welcome after a not so pleasant journey , reception staff very helpful showing us to our room and explaining how everything worked -rather fun glass window panel in the bathroom which fortunately turns opaque !
Pleasant rooms all mod cons not large but very comfortable .pay extra for the club rooms the lounge is a nice bonus offering tapas style nibbles and a very good range of complementary drinks although breakfast downstairs is much better .The spa is good and I enjoyed my facial a good place to escape too early morning had it all to myself.
In my opinion the staff make this hotel, we were here on a business trip but would happily return for a weekend break .

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Carfreack,

Thank you very much for having shared this fantastic review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Montcalm, and that the Reception Team, amongst others, were able to positively contribute to an enjoyable stay from the get-go after your arduous journey. Rest assured that you kind comments will be shared with all those involved. The 'magic' glass in our bathrooms really is a fun gagdet, isn't it? All of our Club Rooms and Suites are equipped with this facility, allowing you to watch TV from the comfort of your bath, as well as have the appropriate privacy as needed!
I hope to be able to meet you in person when you do decide to go for the weekend break, and please do not hesitate to get in touch directly should you require any help at all with the making of any arrangements.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary. Great service - friendly and attentive, good room and location. We were delighted to see the little surprise waiting our return in the evening, which finished the day off perfectly. We'd love to return and enjoy the hotel again some time :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear trf99,

Please allow me to hereby wish you a Happy Anniversary once more. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our Team was able to exceed your expectations. Thank you very much for having taken the time to share this lovely review on Tripadvisor and I look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

You might think the most decadent thing about watching a World Cup match from the bathtub is that you can do it at all. Or you might think it's that you are watching it through one of those magic windows that goes from transparent to opaque with the touch or a button. You could even think it's that you moisturize with a lovely Hermes cream when you get out. But you would be wrong. The most decadent thing about watching World Cup from the bath, at least at this hotel, is that you have to turn off the Jacuzzi bubbles to hear the game call.

Plus you have your choice of light colours that illuminate the bath (blue worked well). Also, when you turn on the TV to watch the match, the message is a personalized welcome from the staff. You'll see the same message on the ipad by the bed. You can use the ipad to arrange your wake up call, book your taxi to Heathrow or access the hotel services.

Long before you arrive, a staff member sends an email asking what kind of pillow you like. The list is long, and you will be forgiven if you have no idea. I went for the Ecological Pillow, hoping it might come with a rain forest. It seems to be full of lentils but I'm not sure and I had a nice sleep on it, so don't really care.There are standard pillows on the bed just in case. You can also choose the scent they pipe into the room from a black cube in the corner. Lavender and clary sage worked for me.

The bathroom is tiny but has the nifty window and fun tub, plus a shower with more options than Starbucks. My deepest apologies to whoever had to clean up after I discovered the Fire Hose setting this morning. A bit more light at the sink might be nice. Women my age tend avoid magnifying mirrors, even if they are lit. Maybe especially if they are lit.

This hotel is a five minute walk from Marble Arch tube station and about 15 minutes to Selfridges, Speakers Corner and Regent's Park. It's immaculate, the staff are friendly, the amenities are luxe and, for London in high season, the price is not unreasonable.

The rooms are large and there is a good chair and desk if you are here on business. The desk has connections for USB, HDMI, VGA and both UK and North American wall power. They should check their outlets as I found 1 that doesn't work at all and one that you need to jiggle to make it work. The telephone handset on the desk also seems not to work, which is a problem in many hotels. I suspect it's just not anyone's job to see if they hold a charge anymore. And here's a nice change: the wifi not only works, it's really, really fast and seems to work everywhere, not just in hallways.

My room featured a canopy bed with adorable little lights in the top that change colour. I don't know what these do but they are amusing. There are odd reading lamp extensions on the bedside sconce lights, which looked exciting but turned out not to illuminate the page enough to actually read what was on it.

Green reminders are everywhere and there is the standard thing about hanging up your towels. LIghts work only when your card is in the little slot by the door (just the Holiday Inn Express, but somehow it feels virtuous here). Oddly, there isn't a recycle bin in sight.

If you stay on the 6th floor or belong to their loyalty club, there is a nice lounge that serves a small breakfast and is open later for cocktails. There are terminals in there to print things.

This hotel, unlike so many others that should, actively monitors the online wholesalers and offers the same rates on their site that you'll find on Hotels.com or Expedia, minus the hassle of booking and paying through a third party.

Definitely worth the money. And don't miss the lovely and moving memorial to Raoul Wallenberg in the forecourt.

Room Tip: Pop for the extra $ and upgrade to an exec room. You may be lucky enough to be further upgraded to a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Elizabeth W,

Wow, what an absolutely amazing review! I believe even our Marketing Team could not have produced a more compelling piece to showcase our facilities and amenities! From the magic glass in the bathroom, to the Hermes troiletries, to the brand new Ipads in the rooms, you have covered it all!
Thank you so much for having taken the time to share this incredibly detailed and constructive assesment following your recent stay with us. I also appreciate you highlighting the faulty socket and telephone; rest assured that I have immediately followed up on this internally and addressed the issue. With regards to our Green Policy, I can assure you that we do everything within our means to minimise our carbon footprint and we do have all of the necessary recycling facilities available behind the screens.
I hope to be able to welcome you back in person on your next stay with us, which will hopefully be sooner rather than later, and in the meantime, wish you well.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I routinely stay at the Montcalm for business trips and have enjoyed my experience each time. The location is key - close walking distance to the tube, easy to get taxis, and just minutes from restaurants and shops nearby as well as Hyde Park. The service is great, and the staff are attentive and always keen to make sure things go smoothly. The amenities are nice, and full breakfast spread a great way to start the day.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear globetrot123,

Thank you so much for having taken the time to write a review, and I am ecstatic that the Team has managed to convert you into part of the 'Montcalm Family'. I hope to be able to welcome you back in person on your next stay with us and please do note that should you ever wish for us to personalise your stay in any way, do not hesitate to ask!