“Some dissapontment”

The Montcalm London Marble Arch
Ranked #7 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Interesting and a mixed experience. We had originally booked into the Marble Arch hotel across the road and at check in we were advised we had been upgraded to their sister hotel the Montcalm ??? Quite chuffed at first. We were not sure what sort of upgrade as both are 5 Star but accepted gracefully. THE BAD: The first, was despite asking at the point of booking if we could have access to our room an hour early as I had a meeting to get to this was not possible. The room 010 was next to the spa which was closed and having very noisy work carried out on it. My wife was most annoyed that an afternoon nap was impossible. And that's when the penny dropped. It is most likely to me that the rooms intended occupants had complained about the noise and or closure of the spar facilities and moved across the road. Whilst I cant prove that it seems logical that our room across the road had been ready at the requested time. NEXT: The soundproofing between rooms is practically non-existent. We were awoken by our neighbour at 6.30 playing the rolling stones. I don't particularly blame the neighbour as the music was not particularly loud. The soundproofing is so poor you could hear him bruising his teeth. Having missed her afternoon nap and now being awoken at 6.30 the good lady was not happy. To cheer her up a bit I ordered a continental breakfast to be delivered to the room. Despite the menu listing a great selection of things including cold meats, salami, salmon etc. these were completely left off our delivery. THE GOOD: The staff are the best thing about this hotel, informative helpful and friendly. The room service mistake was corrected quickly following one phone call. The quality of the décor, overall finish of the room (except soundproofing) and hotel areas was of a very high standard.

Room Tip: Don't Have Room 010
1  Thank Neil604
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Neil604,

Thank you for having taken the time to share a review and for providing us with this detailed feedback; it is of tremendous help to us in improving our product and services for the future. Rest assured that I will follow up internally on the abovementioned points, such as the Room Service. I would also like to assure you that the noise issue was coincidental, and we most certainly did not transfer you because of this. I have sent you a private message as well, as I would cherish the opportunity to discuss in person what exactly happened with the noise issue.

I do hope that despite these inconveniences you still enjoyed your stay, and that you will be willing to give us another try in the future; should you require any assistance at all with the making of future bookings, I would be honoured if you would consider me as your personal point of contact.

There are newer reviews for The Montcalm London Marble Arch

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Awesome facility and too good / cooperative staff. Housekeeping accommodated me out of the way.

Its a great place to stay if you are looking for good shopping, excellent food of Edgware road and some key attractions (Madam Tussaud's Museum, Hyde Park, Reagents Park) on walking distance. Marble Arch tube station is also nearby.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear msd70,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experiences on Tripadvisor. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Hotel was clean,staff were very friendly and welcoming. The hotel called me prior to my arrival just to see what time I will be arriving and asked what the purpose was as I asked for strawberries to be put in the room. I told them it was my girlfriends birthday and as we got to the hotel, they upgraded us and decorated the bed with flowers. It was a really good touch and the food was up to standards. Perfect end to a perfect evening. Would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in London

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Imran111,

How great to read that the team here at Montcalm was able to turn your birthday getaway into a special one! I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay on this special occasion, and very grateful that you feel comfortable recommending us.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon, and until then, wish you all the best.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I was whisked away to London West End for my Birthday and the hotel my partner had booked (4 star) had a problem with our room and therefore upgraded us to The Montcalm, about 5 minutes away, which was the greatest Birthday surprise ever! We were treated like absolute royalty from the get go. The service was outstanding, the rooms were impeccable and the bathroom for me was a highlight. I love a great shower! We were well looked after during our stay and if I am ever lucky enough I hope to be back one day. The Buffet Breakfast was great, but could have been a bit hotter (temperature wise). Other wise the staff was amazing and I could not fault them one bit! So thankful.

Room Tip: Give the Spa a go!

Dear TishTash3,

Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous review on Tripadvisor! I am ever so glad that you enjoyed your stay and the Birthday surprise was a good one! Thank you also for the feedback about our buffet breakfast; rest assured that I will follow up internally. I hope that now that you have experienced our product and service. the next time your travels take you to the West End, you will book directly with us! Should you require any assistance at all with any bookings, please do not hesitate to call on me directly, and it would be my pleasure to assist in any way possible.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Everything you could wish for. Such a genuine welcome upon arrival. I arrived early and wait for my friend, I was served tea and delicious homemade cake. Staff service 11/10. Room first class, all the little touches to make you feel special. Very well run.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Pamela H,

Wow, what a lovely review! I am ever so glad that the service experienced exceeded your expectations and that the team took good care of you during your stay. We always say internally to give 110%, so that correlates quite well with your 11/10 rating! :-)

Please do not hesitate to get in touch diretly should your travels next take you to the West End, and it would be my pleasure to personally assist with any necessary arrangements.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Well trained & pleasant staff. Surely the best in London!
Excellent teamwork. Very comfortable and great central location. Central London shopping, tourist spots, museums & galleries very accessible. Excellent choices on room service menu.
Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Probably rooms at the rear not overlooking the street would be a bit quieter.

Dear Christopher N

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experiences on Tripadvisor! It is wonderful to read you had such a great stay and feel comfortable recommending us. I am especially glad to see your note about the quality of our teamwork. We try our utmost to create an environment where our people enjoy coming to work and help each other, and it is just fantastic to see this being echoed by our guests.

Thank you again for your lovely feedback, and I hope to be able to welcome you back in person soon!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Had to stay overnight somewhere quiet prior to a medical exam in Harley Street. Called the excellent manageress, Amanda, prior to booking, who promised same. Arrived, all ready for me, top quality service, perfectly located; I will return. Many thanks

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear simonmgreece,

On behalf of Amanda and the rest of the team here at the Montcalm, thank you very much for writing this fabulous review! I am glad your stay and experience met your expectations, and hope the outcome of the medical was all positive.
Wishing you health and happiness for the remainder of 2014, and hope to be able to welcome you back soon!