“Nice Hotel Great Staff but couple of issues”

The Montcalm London Marble Arch
Ranked #8 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I booked the Montcalm because I was looking for a centrally based hotel with spa facilities. The location is excellent just around the corner from Marble Arch and the tube. I walked through Hyde Park to Knightsbridge which was great. I generally agree with the comments of the other guests who have reviewed this hotel - the staff are very attentive. Special thanks to Maria in the Champagne Bar who was very pleasant. Decor a bit blingy for my tastes but that is just a personal comment and it was very luxurious. My room was 'compact' and I was glad I was on my own or it would have been a squeeze. The refrigerator in the mini bar wasn't working and although I reported it to reception it wasn't repaired during my two night stay. In a hotel of this class I would have liked fresh milk rather than cartons of long life - I appreciate I probably could have asked but due to the issue with the fridge there was no point. The 'posh' tea bags were dreadful. Maybe I am not a tea expert but give me typhoo any day!
I would have also expected the complimentary bottle of water to have been replenished on my second day but it wasn't. The spa area was pretty basic but the exercise pool although tiny did amuse me. I had an excellent massage however, The complimentary fruit provided was fres, good quality and plentiful - consequently I didn't bother with breakfast but there was clearly lots of choice and it sounded delicious and the prices appeared to be quite reasonable for a hotel of this class. The choice of room service food was also extensive although again I didn't try it on this occasion. The bed was comfortable and I heard no noise whatsoever outside my room while I was there. I would return to the Montcalm but unless I was alone again I would probably book a club room

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear jaguar58,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experience online; your detailed and constructive feedback is of great help to us in improving our product and service for the future. I am pleased that despite the issues mentioned, you still had a good stay and your over all impression of the Montcalm remains a positive one. Rest assured that your nice comments about our staff and Maria in particular have been shared.

With regards to your note about the fresh milk, indeed we do not put it in the rooms, however we are always happy to deliver upon request. This is to ensure that we will always provide our guests with as fresh a produce as possible.
I am very sorry that your defective minibar was not attended to during your stay. Rest assured that I will follow up on this internally.
It is a shame that you did not like the Jing tea; we use it as it is internationally recognised as one of the better tea's on the market, however, should you wish to have Typhoo tea in your room, on your next stay with us, please feel free to ask, and we can easily obtain it for you, it would be our pleasure.
Normally we refresh the bottled water every single day during turndown. For the fact that this was not done on this occasion, I would like to apologise; it seems as though through human error this was missed, and again I will follow up internally.
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts online; it is very helpful to us and will contribute to making us a better hotel in 2014!
Please do get in touch when you next decide to stay with us and I am sure we can personalise your room with the abovementioned touches to ensure all will be perfect for you.

There are newer reviews for The Montcalm London Marble Arch

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We booked through late hotels .com and was really surprised on how nice this hotel is. Lovely club room, clean, modern, good bathroom with excellent shower.
We spent a few hours enjoying drinks in their champagne bar. Staff very helpful. Next time in London we will return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear stanleym822,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences at the Montcalm on Tripadvisor; rest assured that your nice comments about our staff, and in particular the Champagne Bar team, will be shared. Do not hesitate to contact me personally the next time you wish to stay with us, and it would be my pleasure to ensure your next stay will be as great as the first one!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I just stayed at this wonderful hotel for one night. The room was quite large for London and very clean. They gave a lovely fresh fruit basket in our room with chocolates. I was traveling with my son in a wheelchair. The staff was extremely helpful and the service was terrific. They put the ramp out each time we were in the lobby without being asked to do so.Always helped us in and out of the taxis.The accessible bathroom was very spacious. They gave us vary late checkout which was wonderful. The location was also terrific. I would definitely return to this hotel on my next visit to London. Thank you Daisy for all your help.

Dear karpo2014,

Thank you so much for writing this lovely review and I am very pleased that the team here, and in particular Daisy, managed to ensure you had such a great stay; Rest assured that your lovely comments will be shared with her as well.

Also, great news that you are planning to come back; we look forward to seeing you again next time you cross the Atlantic!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Just got back from a 1 night stay at this beautiful hotel.
We were lucky enough to have our room upgraded and have use of the exclusive club lounge as it was my Birthday.
The staff were all really helpful and welcoming.
Our room was very modern but still felt comfy and luxurious.
The continental breakfast was extensive and delicious.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear easydread,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write such a nice review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Montcalm. Please allow me to hereby wish you once more a happy (albeit belated by now) birthday. I hope to be able to welcome you back personally on your next stay with us, and until then, wish you well.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed at the hotel weeks ago for a special occasion. The hotel is beautiful like any other 5 * hotel in London but the service is astonishing! Not an extra mile but 10 the lovely staff will go to make you feel as comfortable as possible! We would never forget Daisy as she solve such a big problem we have faced during our stay caused by the unfortunate cancellation of the babysitter on the night of the occasion. We have never ever seen such a care and courtesy not only from a member of staff but also in real life! Big thank you to Venetta and Remi assisting during the crucial time. You guys are part of our family forever . Thank you again

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Alexander_Henskens, General Manager at The Montcalm London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Levyshalom,

Thank you for your very kind review about the Montcalm and Daisy in particular. She really is a fantastic asset to our team and we are very lucky to have her here with us. I am delighted that your evening was saved due to Daisy's, Veneta's & Remi's assistance and that you enjoyed your over all stay here at the Montcalm. I hope to be able to welcome you back personally on the next occasion.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We had booked a club room unfortunately our room was not. yet ready and as we were waiting , we were served a complimentary drink ,
Special thanks to Janine mallia for the excellent assistence ,
Room-breakfast-conciërge, perfect,
We ll come back, J.O.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear A S,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review and I am delighted that we managed to meet your expectations. Rest assured that your kind words will be shared with Janine as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future, and until then, wish you a prosperous 2014.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Upon arriving we were immediately made to feel very welcome by Daisy. Never, in all the years of staying in various hotels around the world, have I encountered someone so dedicated and intent on making our stay memorable. She looked after us superbly and nothing was too much trouble for Daisy and her team.
The room was compact but extremely well equipped and the fresh fruit and complimentary nibbles were a thougtful touch. The bathroom was lovely (the powerful shower was fantastic) and the bed and pillows were so comfortable it was difficult to get up!
We had access to the club room (thank you Daisy) and this was a lovely, quiet room, perfect for having a glass of wine and reading the papers before dinner, and again in the morning for a relaxed and light breakfast.
Dinner, in the hotel restaurant was excellent. Knowledgeable and attentive staff who looked after us very well.
Checkout was swift and easy, once again Daisy looking after us superbly. Next time we are in London for the weekend we will certainly stay again. Can't recommend this gem of a hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Ms. Whittaker,

Wow, how amazing it is to read such wonderful feedback about Daisy! I have shared your kind words with her this morning and she also wished to express her gratitude to you for having taken the time to write this glowing review; we are indeed very lucky to have people as dedicated as her as part of the team here at the Montcalm.
I am glad you liked the rain showers in the bathrooms as well. We have invested heavily in our bathrooms to ensure they are as comfortable as can be with state of the art equipment, and it is fantastic to see that it is well received by our guests.

Please don't hesitate to contact Daisy or myself next time you plan to drive up to London, and we would love to provide you with another amazing experience!