“Would not return”

Washington Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #486 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed at the Washington Mayfair for two nights in February this year. The hotel's location is very good and central for sightseeing. The hotel itself is clean and the room were nicely decorated..that's the plus points. On our arrival we were allocated a double room on the 1st floor, our view from the window was the air conditioning unit for the hotel. This was certainly not the view we were expecting and to make matters worse the air conditioning unit was extremely noisy. When I went to reception to complain and ask about the possibility of being moved rooms I was given a very unhelpful response from a very rude member of the reception staff. Eventually she agreed to let us move rooms but all they were prepared to offer us was a smoking room a few floors up, we are non smokers and that we had booked a non smoking room.

Overall this is a nice hotel but overpriced for what it is and I would not return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DexterTess

Reviewed July 13, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for one night with my 3 friends. We have the best time in this hotel. The location was fantastic and quiet central to everywhere, the rooms were extermly clean and tidy. When i was booking the rooms i ask if i can have 2 interconnected rooms and they set the room as per my request. The staff were extermly friendly and helpful, my friends and i really enjoy our stay and looking forward to our next visit. Last but not least, the room's rates were pretty reasonable in compare to other hotel with the same standard.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank azziek20
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I've stayed here on a couple of previous occasions, really enjoying it everytime. It's location is superb, being only 10 minutes walk from Regent Street and Piccadilly Circus. All the staff I've encountered as extremely polite and helpful - if there is a problem, they will sort it out very quickly indeed!
They have had a recent refurbishment programme and the new rooms are superb. Very comfortable and quiet, with excellent bathrooms fittings. There is free Wi-Fi, or internet through the TV (which you have to pay for).
Breakfast is a buffet affair, but you can order off a menu, should you prefer it. The food is excellent, and service, speedy I would highly recommend staying here if you're after a Mayfair base!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Darreng1985
Reviewed June 28, 2010

So here is the good news the location is great for business.

Here is the bad news this should be the last hotel on your list you stay in as it so very poorly managed. I had to go to London on a short notice business trip and therefore was left with no alternative but to stay at the Washington Mayfair hotel. Here is what went wrong
1. Check in was very inefficient and they "accidentally" sent me to a small on bedroom rather than the junior suite I was booked in which then had to be reversed with some work
2. The bed linen was really really dirty and had old stains which had not come out in the wash
3. Breakfast was gross and the service was bad gave up on trying to get coffee completely
4. Corridors are dank and smelly
5. Staff with one exception are poorly trained and seem pretty listless

Essentially this could be an ok hotel if they cared, cleaned and refurbished. As it is they function as a spill over hotel for the unwary and desperate. Will not stay in this hotel again if I can at all help it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2010

To give you perspective I travel a lot and the minimum I expect in a hotel is cleanliness, safety, and honesty. Unfortunately when it comes to the Mayfair the cleanliness part of this hotel is definitely way below standards and honesty is clearly not the policy. We were checking in around 9:30 pm for guaranteed non-smoking rooms - I work for a large company so the guarantee should have meant something. Well they had given our rooms away because they were oversold for Wimbledon. At the desk a group of Japanese diplomats were already arguing over the condition of their rooms. I rarely see rudeness from Japanese but I soon found out why they were upset. The desk clerk was very cordial but he explained he had only one room in the hotel - an upgraded master suite that was a smoking room and for two of us we could go to the luxury apartment 5 minutes away. I stayed in the room in the hotel and it had never been updated so don't believe the stories about renovations. The carpets were filthy and clearly the spread and drapes hadn't been cleaned in years. It was a rare hot night in London so naturally the AC blew cold in the living room area and hot in the bedroom. I chose to sleep in my clothes that night and feared for bed bugs (no, thankfully I didn't get to enjoy that experience). My colleagues sent to the luxury apartment shared similar fates including having to sleep in a twin bed. It was truly one of the worst hotel experiences I've had considering the rate was over 300 british pounds! I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures so you would see for sure in spite of positive reviews from others that this is not a good place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Away2much
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Hotel Washington, Mayfair is on Curzon Street near Green Park. Hyde Park corner is also nearby. Service and reception was good. Facilities in the hotel too was good. The spread in breakfast was excellent.

Amenties in the room included iron table, hot rod for drying clothes.

The hotel is quite close in central London and you are almost a neighbour to the Queen. Buckingham Palace is just across the green park.

It is value for money to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank RaviMumbai
Reviewed June 13, 2010

booked in here for a night on the town. Not a bad rate and very helpful staff, Had a premier double but unfortunately it was a twin so asked for a double. The premier room was modern nice and attractive. Couldn't convert the beds so upgraded to a king! By contrast this was of a rather faded old fashioned style a bit past its sell by date but still old fashioned charm. That is aside from the cracked and crudely repaired bidet! In the morning when drying my hair - the plugs and mirrors are not well aligned so this required some contortions noticed an old cigarette butt in the corner of the room not nice. Mentioned this to the reception on my way out - she was apologetic but the manager couldn't be bothered although she had stepped out to tell him to come out and give his apologies. Breakfast which was in with the price was ok the fresh fruit salad was tinned and a bit fizzy suggesting it was on the turn so wouldn't have liked to have paid the full rate they were asking for a full english!My advice a reasonably priced hotel pick your room and don't take breakfast there there is a costa opposite

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple