“2nd stay”

Ranked #476 of 1,069 Hotels in London
San Antonio, Texas
“2nd stay”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Delightful staff. Second visit to this hotel. First visit was better than our return visit. The but rooms are getting a bit worn. Beds are nothing to brag about nor is the sparse bedding. Room services was ok and the morning breakfast buffet was ok as well. The room air conditioning unit was covered in mold and noisy. The positive to this Hotel is the location, location, location. Easy walk to many of London's hot spots. Will return to London but not to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Cynthia J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Hotel is perfectly reasonable and I had no major problems. Everything was clean and staff were friendly. However there was something about the feel of the hotel, plus a few minor issues listed below, which means I can only rate this as average rather than very good, given those two choices.

The style/atmosphere issue is difficult to pin down - something to do with the decorative style which felt sombre (dark corridors) and to do with the view from my room (see below) which meant that I didn't feel uplifted by the experience of staying there.

The few minor issues I had were...
1) slow wireless internet in the room,
2) the safe battery was out of charge so my safe was not usable,
3) my 'view' was of a rooftop and the rear of adjoining buildings - so all concrete and bricks (despite some planters being positioned on the roof in an attempt to provide a bit of greenery).
4) the room was very warm and I could not find a way of turning down the heating.

I would consider staying here again if looking for a room in the area, but just can't bring myself to rate it as 'very good' compared to other experiences. If it existed I would probably have rated this as 3.5.

Room Tip: I was in 123 so avoid this if you want a decent view from your window.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

My sister & I stayed at this hotel during our entire time in London. I had read the reviews & was ready for just about anything! I can honestly say that we were pleasantly surprised. We had a twin room that was large enough, at least compared to other English hotel rooms, & we were impressed with the cleanliness & location. We are both in our sixties & felt completely safe in the area, sometimes getting back after 11:00 at night. Green Park is the nearest tube & is one of the nicer stations. Across from the hotel we found a hidden area called Sheperds Market where you can find quaint pubs & little places to eat. The staff at Washington Mayfair were friendly & very accommodating! I would recommend my family staying there on their next visit to London & that in itself says a lot!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy D
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We arrived just after 1pm and our room was ready. The hotel staff were all very helpful and polite. We were upgraded to a king size room which was small but clean. For one night it was perfect. We booked with hotel direct so for the price I paid it was well worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My handbag and purse went missing during my stay at this hotel in February 2013, which I was not very pleased about - this is not something you would expect to happen in a 5 star hotel in Mayfair !! The staff were efficient & helpful however of course they would not accept any form of responsibility so now I have to make a claim on my own travel insurance which means I will have to pay an excess plus it will increase my premiums! Good location of hotel though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RachelinNorwich
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Room was quite small, which is rather usual for London. Table was tiny - you could not be comfortably work there for any prolonged time. TV was placed at 90 degrees to the bed, so you either watch TV sitting on a chair, or lie in bed - not a perfect setting one could say. WiFi is advertised to be free, but I could never get a signal in my room #127. Even after the girl on reception promised to re-load rooter. Good I had Vodafone SIM card in my iPad, and did not care much about Wifi. Room service was quite good. Staff was very nice overall. Concierges were helpful. The room was cleaned OK. Location is great! Only few minutes walk from Jermin street, Ritz area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank eso4600
Paris, France
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of days a week over a couple of months. Rooms are not bad, and the place is clean, but there's not much else about this hotel worth writing about. Breakfast is poor and obviously cheap (eg tinned fruit, not fresh, and the coffee is diabolical) and the choice is limited. Dinner is awful - eating out advised! Staff are pleasant enough, but on the whole this place is a bit tired and needs an injection of creativity to warrant the price tag and location. High rooms have lots of gurgling noises from the plumbing system.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business