“Great location but...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #410 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Great location but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Excellent staff, very pleasant bar and superb location. Ate in Alyn Williams restaurant which was a delight. Our room was however small, not particularly well furnished and bathroom dated . Lack of soundproofing from landing . Bed rock hard. There was a note left in our room suggesting avoiding peak breakfast times. Nevertheless to see a queue of people stretching out of the dining room in such a 5 star hotel was strange and not surprisingly some were not particularly happy.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights as part of a trip to london to buy my fiancées engagement ring. It was a special occasion and the hotel helped contribute to this.

The hotel is very grand, service was excellent, our room was fantastic, contrary to other reviews, and the bar was very nice.

The location was also very good, being a 2-3 min walk to Regent street and located in the centre of Mayfair.

We were also left chocolates and a cake saying "congratulations" on our first night, which was a lovely touch.

If you're looking for a special weekend away in London, I'd highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely stay again for any future london trips.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Booked The Westbury with a work colleague so needed a twin room. I don't expect luxury but I expect a 5 star establishment to be of a certain standard. The fan/climate control in the room, 327, would only blow out hot air so we opened the windows. We were woken at 5am to the chaotic noise outside, having closed the window we were then kept awake by the television in the room next door. Either the walls were paper thin or the interconnecting door was allowing the noise to travel. The single beds were uncomfortable and rocked and creaked loudly whenever we moved even a tiny bit. Breakfast was average to say the least. I asked for my sausage and bacon to be well done, they arrived looking pale and underdone, I asked for a replacement, when it arrived the fried eggs were so undercooked that I just left it. Having stayed in numerous 5 star hotels in London I am staggered that The Westbury can compete. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank leo974
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel is ok except for the very loud air-coditioner (pls do not use it at all if possible) and terrible sound insulation between rooms (you can easily listen everything). Besides, it would be great to have fruit, vegetables and cheese during the breakfast. Taking the defects into account the price is too high and it us not a five stars hotel. Regards, Yuri

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
TheWestbury, General Manager at Westbury Mayfair, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Yuri S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.
I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on your recent visit, as you noted that your stay was disrupted by the loud noise emitting from the aircon as well as sounds from the adjoining room. In regards to the aircon system, I am sorry to hear that it was not operating smoothly. We have a 24-hour on call maintenance team, and do hope you reported the issue to one of our duty managers as they would have addressed the issue promptly.
Moreover, my sincere apologies that you were disrupted by sounds from the adjoining room and would have done our utmost best to relocate you to another room should the problem have persisted. Moreover, I am pleased to confirm that we are in the process of providing additional soundproofing to our adjoining rooms.

Lastly, in regards to your suggestions on our breakfast options, we do provide fresh fruits, cheeses and all other desired foods could be provided upon request.

I do hope you will revisit, giving us the chance of changing your opinion of the Westbury Hotel.

Athens
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

a beautiful hotel reception is let down by the rooms which are shabby and in need of a refurbishment. Fabulous cocktails in the bar and good service was given by all. The location is second to none - The best address in London, Just on the corner of Bond Street

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Libby K,

Thank you for choosing the Westbury Hotel. I am very pleased to that you found our lobby and Polo bar of exceptional standard and our Mayfair location unbeatable. However, I am sorry to hear that were not impressed by your allocated room, noting that you found it ‘shabby’. My sincere apologies that we failed to meet your expectations in this department, as we strive to maintain a high 5-star standard throughout our property. If you would be so kind to contact me directly on ta@westburymayfair.com I would greatly appreciate further information as to why you were dissatisfied with your particular room. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the Westbury.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I know London well. Was surprised to find the Westbury was not as impressive as I was expecting. Nice hotel but not 5 star. The location is great for West End. Room price was very good. Drinks in bar extremely expensive,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TheWestbury, General Manager at Westbury Mayfair, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Westbury Hotel.

I am disappointed to hear we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion, noting that you did not feel your experience with us was that of a 5-star hotel.

That said, I am pleased you enjoyed the convenience of our location, situated on the corner of Bond and Conduit street moments from one of London's most exclusive shopping, dining and real estate districts.

We are also London's only hotel to house two Michelin Star restaurants, 'Alyn Williams and at the Westbury' and 'Brasserie Chavot' as well as our discrete but no less impressive 'Tsukiji' sushi restaurant and the legendary Polo Bar. I am sorry you felt the drinks were too steep as we take care in ensuring that our prices are competitive to those of our local Mayfair area.

I would very much like to hear more detailed feedback on your experience with us as we are always seeking to improve our services and products. If you would be so kind to email me directly at ta@westburymayfair.com I would very grateful for your feedback.

Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Polite And professional staff on entry always a plus! This is my first stay at The Westbury hotel which I booked online and was not sure what to expect till I arrived. On entry it was a pleasant surprise,got to reception no problems booking in,which is always a plus in my books specially when your exhausted and just want to get to your room after a long trip. I must congratulate you on a member of staff though a young Bellman, if i looked correctly his name badge said "Jacky" truly pleasant young man, On arrival he went out of the forecourt to attend and help me as i arrived outside the hotel in a taxi with a professional smile,Very pleased! Superb location! I would definitely stay on business again!

• Stayed November 2013