“Good Hotel on a deal..”

Ranked #394 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel on a deal..”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed herein February 2013 for anniversary, booked it through lastminute.com top secret rooms (I guessed right from the description). Hotel is in an excellent location for shops as well as bars/restaurants. It is very expensive to eat & drink in, but as we were dining out in anycase, this was not a problem. In all a good experience....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheWestbury, General Manager at Westbury Mayfair, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear FergusPatterson,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Westbury Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed an overall pleasant stay, noting that our central location in close proximity to the shops and restaurant/bars of Mayfair made for a convenient base while exploring London. I do hope you will dine with us on your next visit, as we have an impressive selection of restaurants such as our Michelin-starred 'Alyn Williams at the Westbury', intimate 'Tsukiji Sushi Restaurant' and newly opened 'Brasserie Chavot', serving french brasserie cuisine from 2-Michelin starred chef Eric Chavot. Our Polo Bar is also a local favorite, serving fantastic cocktails and a great ambiance.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at ta@westburymayfair.com should you require any special arrangements or dining reservations on any future visits.

Kind regards,
Zeljko Stasevic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I agree with many of the recent reviews too. Just come back from a stay and was very surprised there were no tea/coffee making facilities. Also you have to PAY for wireless (I think it was £12 p/hr !!!). Also very small bathroom, although clean looked a bit old fashioned and tired with the chrome wearing away a bit. Not what I would expect from a FIVE star. I've stayed at 4 and even 3 star with tea/coffee and free internet wireless. Oh yes, the TV was not very responsive when you pressed the buttons and took an age to react. Also froze everyso often.

All these you would NOT expect from a 5 star rated hotel irrespective of it being in Mayfair. Don't no how it got that rating with all those facilities missing. Staff nice though and good location are the positives but definitely over priced.

2 Thank trouncer b
Dear trouncer b,

I wish to begin my expressing my sincere apologies for having failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay at the Westbury Hotel. In regards to the lack on in-room tea/coffee facilities, we do in fact provide this service upon request from our room service which ensures that the contents are replenished daily. Moreover we offer guests only the finest selection of teas and coffees available 24 hours from our room service or Polo Bar.

In regards to our wireless service, the fee of £12.95 offers our guests access for 24 hours, and not for the 1 hour as suggested.

I am also sorry to hear that you felt our facilities did not meet our 5-star standards. We consider ourselves as much a food and beverage destination as a luxury 5-star Mayfair hotel, offering an array of dining options such as the Michelin-starred 'Alyn Williams at the Westbury', intimate 'Tsukiji Sushi Restaurant' and newly opened 'Brasserie Chavot', serving French brasserie cuisine from 2-Michelin starred chef Eric Chavot. We hope to have you dine with us should you consider a return visit.

Once again, I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and would like to welcome you back giving us the opportunity of changing your opinion of the Westbury Hotel.

Kind Regards,
Luxembourg
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Not the first time I've stayed here, but I don't remember being disappointed before. Good location for the West End, but now looking rather tired, and ventilation/air conditioning noisy and ineffective. Musty smell hits you in the face when you walk in to the beddroomFront desk service fine but restaurant was poor (and even by London standards breakfast over priced and obviously cooked some time previously)

2 Thank Christopher K
Dear Christopher K,

Please accept my sincere apologies for having failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. I do appreciate you providing us with feedback, noting that you felt the facilities in your allocated room requires revamping. In regards to this, we are currently undergoing soft renovations to many of our rooms which will provide for a consistently high quality of bedrooms throughout the hotel.

I am also sorry to hear that you felt our breakfast service did not meet our usual high standards. I would be very grateful if you would be kind enough to contact me directly at ta@westburymayfair.com and provide me with further details regarding this so I may personally investigate the issue as we rarely receive such complaints on our breakfast service.

I do hope your last visit will not be your lasting impression of the Westbury Hotel and do hope you will consider a return stay giving us the opportunity of changing your opinion. Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,
Sheffield
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I went there for a breakfast meeting at 9am. We had to wait 25 minutes to be seated and then a further 20 minutes for someone to take an order, during this time we saw many empty tables which were simple left uncleared by staff.
We had to ask twice to order and then for aspects of our breakfast to actually be delivered. My guest asked for a tomato and mushroom with his kippers, and was promptly charged £5.60 for the pleasure (and I mean, 1 small tomato and 1 small mushroom!). Overall, for 1 tea, 2 juice, 2 small plates of fruit, 1 round of toast (2 slices of bread!), 1 Eggs Benedict and the Kippers with the most expensive fruit and veg in the World, it came to £84.
Yes, that's £84! and that was for poor service. The woman at the next table was incredible annoyed at having to ask for everything multiple times (although she was quite annoying too, so I'm not too concerned about her). We also saw hotel guests who had made reservations and then come down to find they'd been cancelled and on been told they could have a table in 5-10 minutes they simply couldn't waste the time waiting and had to leave without breakfast.
the food was pretty good but the service was poor, to be honest the service at the Premier Inn Stratford was better (and I'm not been sarcastic)
After this, we went to The Connaught for a further meeting. Okay, we didn't order food but really, the difference in quality of service was astoundingly unbelievable, My recommendation? take a 5 minute walk and go there instead.

Room Tip: Don't (I have stayed here before, it's ok but quite expensive for what it actually offers on...
1 Thank SIMON G
Zürich
Reviewed March 6, 2013

While the staff is sweet and attentive, the rooms are small and have paper walls, you can hear the neighbors talk even if they are doing so softly, and the doors don't block off the bangs of doors and ordinary noise in the corridor. This after I had asked for a quiet room. If a hotel is meant as a place to sleep, well... hardly any noise from the outside though, only homemade. plus, when you finally get to sleep, noisy housekeeping.
Plus, super rip-off: you pay for Wifi, and when I booked a restaurant on the room phone because my handy battery was down, local phonecall of max 3 min, I paid 27 pounds sterling! Upon mentioning my surprise they deplored, but charged it anyway.

Room Tip: bring earplugs
3 Thank 1feedback2_4all
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Great location as noted by previous reviewers. However, this is definately not a 5* hotel. Having read various reviews I wolud strongly agree with comments regarding the bathroom - it was tiny. We stayed in a Superior Queen room and there was nothing superior about the bathroom - over the bath shower and there was very little room to get in and shut the door without manouvering yourself around the toliet. Basic generic toiletries, with no provision of cotton pads, buds etc. Not what I expect from a 5* hotel at all. The most amusing part of the stay was the provision of tea and coffee within your room. As previously stated there are no facilities in your room - I have never stayed anywhere with no provision for hot refreshments within your own room so I did think that this was an oversight that may have been recitifed. Unfortuantely not, and should you wish to enjoy a hot drink in the comfort of your room it will cost you from £5.00 upwards. Yes £5.00 for one cup of tea! I would rather they included this in the room rate thna openly advertise over priced option within their room services. Both my husband and I were not impressed and it is little issues such as along with the decor that was seriously in need of some tlc that would discourage a repeat visit.
One positive - the Polo bar was lovely and the service outstanding, it is a shame that this is not consistent throughout the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelbits
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Westbury to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Once the hotel knew the reason for our stay they very kindly upgraded our room, we had fresh fruit and a very scrummy Chocolate cake.
The room was great, the staff very friendly and the location really is the best.
We had a brilliant stay, so thank you everyone at The Westbury

• Stayed March 2013