“We left wanting to return”

The Westbury Mayfair
Ranked #390 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Newbury
“We left wanting to return”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A quality hotel. From the initial booking in to leaving, all was handled in an efficient but very friendly way. We asked for a quiet room and were given one higher than first allocated. It was indeed quiet and we slept well. Good comfortable bed and good sized room, especially for London.
I did express a need for a cup of tea while checking in and was told that although there are no tea and coffee facilities in the room i could sit in the lounge and order one. I enjoyed the experience and at £5 plus 65p service did not mind the small extra expense.
The breakfast was excellent, bacon the best I have had and the service was good, they did not bat an eyelid when we asked if our daughter who lives in town could join us.
We will certainly return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheWestbury, General Manager at The Westbury Mayfair, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Lauren56,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback on your recent stay with us at the Westbury Hotel. We were very pleased to have had the opportunity to accommodate you and are delighted that you passed a lovely stay, noting that the allocated room, breakfast service and guest relations had all exceeded your expectations. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on ta@westburymayfair.com should you require and special arrangements

Kindest regards,
Zeljko Stasevic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

The Polo Bar at the Westbury has to be the best bar in London. They won this award a couple of years ago and you can see why. Exceptional service and cocktails. Their food menu is out of this world. In particular their Panko prawns and octopus carpaccio. Next time we are in town we aim to try Alyn Williams which recently received a michelin star. Hear that they have a 2* chef opening a restaurant next door.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Thegreco1,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Mayfair local and resident favorite 'Polo Bar', often said to serve some of London’s best food and drink. I do hope you will revisit soon and join us at our fine-dining Michelin-starred Alyn Williams at the Westbury and our soon to be open Brasserie Chavot.

Kind regards,
Stockholm County, Sweden
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Westbury delivers what you can expect from a 5 star hotel in Mayfair. Over the last ten years I’ve stayed here a number of times and have never been disappointed. Location is great both for shopping (close to Bond Street, Oxford and Regent Street and Soho) and business in Soho and Mayfair.

Rooms are a bit small and the beds are good. This time I stayed on the 7th floor that was quiet with no disturbance from the street. You can hear the person in the room next door .

The weak side of the services offered are TV and Internet;
I noted some reviewers complained about the TV system. I also had the same problems with the picture freezing. In order to continue watching I had to change channel and then go back to the original channel. The system is slow and navigation poor. Recommendation – change system or give it an overhaul.

Internet is offered for free, at most hotels these days. At The Westbury is costs £ 12 for one day and £ 26 for three days – greedy when a room costs several hundred pounds per day. Recommendations - offer Internet for free. I will spend the money in the minibar.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Nahoj
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my Girl friend and its locations being perfect for shopping as well as the night life in Mayfair I thought I had expected good things..
Upon arrival I parked the car outside the hotel which I had arranged for parking whilst I stayed and the luggage was removed with a ticket for room 4XX, I later returned to the hotel in the afternoon to check in to find my room was not 1XX I didn’t say anything as I expected this was my room and my luggage would be also in the room. I booked the Queen room/ Queen size bed.

Upon being in the room matter of minutes I was sure they gave me the wrong room! My luggage was not in the room and the bed was no bigger than a double bed. Instantly I knew they had swapped my rooms and gave me a rom that wasn’t mine.
I spoke to receptions to say there has been a confusion I was in the wrong room they wouldn’t accept they had changed my room, my luggage later came to my room from the hotel porter who even told me the luggage was in room 4XX finally the reception came to my room as charged me £30 to move to the room 4XX!!
The hotel is perfect the rooms aren’t too bad but you expect what you pay for and to pay extra for a room you already paid for is disgusting.

Customer service by the receptionist’s is disgusting I think they forget that the reason they work in the hotel is the fact they can’t afford to stay in the hotel.

Upon checking out there was a few other guest making complaints regarding this hotel.
So be careful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ollieboy89
England
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was my first visit - 2 nights stay and running a training course on the second day.

I was extremely impressed by the following -

- The conference staff were absolutely excellent - second to none - especially Manuela who was delightful and Helder who was magnificent! He sorted out all my IT issues easily and with great charm and wfficiency! Thank you both. The ladies who served coffees, teas and lunch were also really great.
- My room (530) was lovely- small as you'd expect in a hotel in such a central location - but beautifully furnished and comfortable.
- All hotel staff from the door staff to check-in to room service and everything in between are fantastic - unfailingly polite and helpful.
- the Polo Bar is a fabulous place to meet friends - chic and stylish
- the food on the training day was absolutely delicious
- the location is fantastic and it's also very quiet at night - a lovely surprise - even thought my room overlooked the street
- I had the continental breakfast in my room on both mornings and it was yummy!

There are a couple of small niggles -

- On the second night my room was stiflingly hot and I just couldn't get it cool - even with the window open
- I would have liked to have had tea and coffee facilities in my room without having to ask. I would have appreciated having fresh milk (as there is a fridge in the room) rather than plastic pots of UHT
- the TV 'freezes' intermittently which is annoying when you're watching your favourite programme!

I really recommend it - thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AndieH
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The location is really great. A few yeard off Bond Street and 2 minutes to Regent St and close to three tube stations. The Polo Bar is very nice and a meeting place for people in this area. However this hotel has seen better days. I used to stay here a lot so I expected the same on return.
What I found was that it was dysfunctional. The TV system freezes for a few seconds half way through a programme. You cannot set the room temperature in the room and the air con is off during the winter. Some rooms are extraordinarily hot. The hairdryer is old fashioned and you have to connect to the Internet by getting passwords from the TV and you have to pay £12.50 a day!

Pillows are small and hard so you have gaps on the larger beds. It really is not 5 star.

Room Tip: Take a room with big windows else you will fry
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 657maestro
TheWestbury, General Manager at The Westbury Mayfair, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear woka13,

Please accept my sincere apologies for having failed to meet your expectations on your most recent stay at the Westbury Hotel. I am pleased that you were once again able to enjoy our ideal Mayfair location and buzzing Polo Bar. I am however sorry to hear that you experienced some issues with the in-room television, noting that it would often freeze. Please accept our apologies for this- and if you would be so kind to contact us through Trip Advisor or email me directly at ta@westburymayfair.com providing us with the room number- we would like to investigate and solve this [isolated] issue. Moreover, I would like to apologise that you found your room too warm- unfortunately, we turn off our air con during below zero weather- and it is the only time of the year that we are able to conduct maintenance work on our cooling systems. Lastly, I am sorry that you found some of our in-room facilities such as the hairdryer to be old fashioned and that you found our wifi-system connection somewhat of an inconvenience- both are duly noted.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this helpful review, as without such feedback we are unable to continue to develop as a destination hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you in regards to the television malfunction- and would like to thank you for this in advance.

Kind regards,
dorset
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and myself have just returned from a special stay at this hotel ...It was our 2nd visit and even better than the first ...It was my 50th birthday and we were given a superior king room and as a special surprise a delicious chocolate cake was waiting in our room ...just shows that this hotel goes the extra mile ....The location could not be better right near Regents Street ..great for shopping ..
This hotel excells on customer service ..a true joy to stay and visit ....
Thankyou .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DorsetSunshine
Dear DoresetSunshine,

Thank you very much for your kind words and review on your most recent stay at the Westbury Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed a most pleasant stay with us- noting that you appreciated the extra thought from our behalf to mark your special day. It was truly a pleasure to host you and we very much looking forward to welcoming you back soon on your next visit to London.

Please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team or myself directly at ta@westburymayfair.com should you require any special arrangements on any of your future stays.

Yours truly,